• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC in general, Need some advice

TMartens

Hello,
I am new to OC. I have grown up around firearms and decided that the world isnt as safe as I'd like to think. So, I've decided to start open carrying. A few questions:
Should I carry my blue card with me even though the law doesn't mandate it?
Do I need to worry about metro's "shoot first and ask questions later" policy?
I'm 18 so I can't get a ccw. OC is my only option. That being said, I have a Taurus 651 .357 mag that I'd like to carry. Any holster recommendations? Would it be better to carry my semi-auto 9mm? I like the idea of carrying a revolver because they can't jam. If the round fails to fire, the next chamber won't.
Anyway, advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a bit apprehensive to OC here. I've seen it done plenty of times but I've also seen guys thrown out of Walmart and hassled by metro for it.
Thanks,
Tom

DooFster

Good questions! First of all, welcome to OCDO! You'll learn a lot as to what's mandated, where not to carry, what's required, etc, just by going through the "Where Did You Carry Today..." thread. About 90% of your questions can be answered regarding where it's best and where it's not. As to what firearm you choose to carry? That's entirely up to you. Carry the one that's going to do the job if and when you'll need it.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
1. I wouldn't carry the bluecard, personally, but I don't live in Clark anyway.
2. You probably won't get shot if you stay calm during any encounters.
3. I like the Galco High Rise thumb break holster for my 4" barrel S&W 620 revolver as it stays up and out of the way when sitting and is comfortable, but your revolver is much shorter and I can't say what a good holster for your particular gun might be.
4. I've mainly chose a revolver for open carry and a semi-auto for concealed carry due to the flatter profile. Sometimes I carry both at the same time, one for a left hand draw, one for a right hand draw. What gun do you shoot better between the revolver and the semi-auto? What specific 9mm semi-auto gun do you have? If it is a full size 9mm, it might be easier to shoot than the small revolver.

Last edited:

TMartens

1. I wouldn't carry the bluecard, personally, but I don't live in Clark anyway.
2. You probably won't get shot if you stay calm during any encounters.
3. I like the Galco High Rise thumb break holster for my 4" barrel S&W 620 revolver as it stays up and out of the way when sitting and is comfortable, but your revolver is much shorter and I can't say what a good holster for your particular gun might be.
4. I've mainly chose a revolver for open carry and a semi-auto for concealed carry due to the flatter profile. Sometimes I carry both at the same time, one for a left hand draw, one for a right hand draw. What gun do you shoot better between the revolver and the semi-auto? What specific 9mm semi-auto gun do you have? If it is a full size 9mm, it might be easier to shoot than the small revolver.

My 9 mm is a Jimenez J.A. 9. Not an amazing quality handgun, but with a lifetime warranty and being made here in Vegas, Ill support them. With 1200 rounds through it I've never had a miss feed or jam. The .357 is a bit small having only a 2 inch barrel but I can still shoot fairly tight groups out to about 10 yards. I guess my main concerns are; A, am I going to run into a lot of issues open carrying? If so, how do you handle it? B, How do the police react to OC? Like I said, I've heard horror stories about them.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

The OC horror story's are almost gone. Concerning story's remain, I suggest you start off in places that you feel most comfortable, and graduate your skills just like any other activity. My path to OC heaven goes like this:

Private property rights trump my OC rights. I do Not argue with people who have invested their life into their dream business Etc.

Govt Has no rights, They do however have a Duty to uphold the law, including ones aimed at them.

As far as the Blue card goes... If you are not inclined to carry your Social Security card around, You may not want to carry your Firearms SSN around.

The Big Guy

Hello,
I am new to OC. I have grown up around firearms and decided that the world isnt as safe as I'd like to think. So, I've decided to start open carrying. A few questions:
I'm 18 so I can't get a ccw. OC is my only option. That being said, I have a Taurus 651 .357 mag that I'd like to carry. Any holster recommendations? Would it be better to carry my semi-auto 9mm? I like the idea of carrying a revolver because they can't jam. If the round fails to fire, the next chamber won't.
Anyway, advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a bit apprehensive to OC here. I've seen it done plenty of times but I've also seen guys thrown out of Walmart and hassled by metro for it.
Thanks,
Tom

Welcome to the forum.

Blue Card, no. It's just a receipt of registration and there is no requirement to do so, and you have no requirement to produce on demand. In fact there is no requirement to even keep it. It is best put away someplace safe to use in case your firearm is stolen.

I would not worry too much about being hassled while OC. It is getting to be a much rarer occurrence. Read through the forum and most of your questions will be answered.

I just happen to carry a 651 on a daily basis. It is a bit heavy, but of course you are always aware it's there which I think is a good thing. I have 2 holsters I use for it. One is a Galco SW 60, and the other is a Mitch Rosen Express LCR I bought through Ruger. It was made for the LCR but works great on the 651 or most other snubbies.

I'd say carry the .357 mostly because I am not a fan of the 9 mil, and I have a preference for revolvers.

TBG

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
My 9 mm is a Jimenez J.A. 9. Not an amazing quality handgun, but with a lifetime warranty and being made here in Vegas, Ill support them. With 1200 rounds through it I've never had a miss feed or jam. The .357 is a bit small having only a 2 inch barrel but I can still shoot fairly tight groups out to about 10 yards. I guess my main concerns are; A, am I going to run into a lot of issues open carrying? If so, how do you handle it? B, How do the police react to OC? Like I said, I've heard horror stories about them.

You will run into issues. Some stores will tell you no guns in the store. Most won't, but every now and then you run into that manager who just doesn't like guns at all, or even a store employee that may even act contrary to store policy. I always write to the companies afterwards, and sometimes the company will say that the employee was wrong.

If you're at it long enough some cop will probably sooner or later detain you, which may range from a short involuntary discussion to being held at gun point and placed in handcuffs. I've seen both. A lot of cops have no idea what the law is. I just confidently stated my position on the laws and usually after 15-45 minutes you will be on your way.

I went my first 8 months without being detained then I was detained a few times in the next few years, but I haven't been detained in the last 2 years. A lot of cops are good people and nice and most won't bother you. Some are really condescending and don't think anyone but them should have guns.

I think the occasional hassle is worthwhile for me. When it comes to stores, I'd rather give my money to people who want my business anyway. If a company doesn't like carry in their store, they obviously don't want my money and I am happy to shop elsewhere. My family shops where I shop. I used to shop at Scholaris/Sak'n'Save and I used to carry there for years and my family spent probably about $1000 a month in groceries, but suddenly one day when I was checking out they told me no more guns allowed in the store. My whole family switched to WinCo and Raleys. The Scholaris store my family used to shop at closed down a few months ago. Maybe $1000 was just a drop in the bucket to them, but their gun policy surely didn't help them.

Also, don't try to open carry at Costco... they don't allow guns in their store. It is company wide policy, and that's also where that Erik Scott incident occurred.

Last edited:

Remmy

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the freedom of OC. I know its a little unnerving at first to OC, wondering if everyone in the public is staring at you. I can assure you most people dont even notice the tool on your hip. I would strongly encourage you to show up at some of our meets, you can gain the muster to OC when around those that are just like you. You can also get a better understanding and ask questions in real time. Consider our meet up for feb 14th at starbucks http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?111110-OC-Meet-and-Greet-February-14th-Starbucks

I have yet to be kicked out of a store, or detained by the police, I have had several encounters with people to have great talks about the 2nd amendment, I've also been thanked many times for carrying.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Hello,
Thanks,
Tom

Welcome! The police have been retrained (I love that phrase) and even if they ask for the blue card, they will now quickly agree that you do not have to carry it. As mentioned, you have no obligation to retain it any more than you do a receipt from 7-Eleven for a Snickers bar.

Metro was getting a nasty rep for shoot-first, but the national attention on it has seemed to slow them down a bit. Only a few of their shoot-first incidents were against guys that probably didn't have it coming, like Erik Scott. You don't really need to worry about them if you aren't a thug.

I'd opt for the Taurus revolver over the Jimenez 9mm any day of the week. A cheap revolver beats a cheap semiauto every time, no matter how reliable, so far, the pistol has been. When it is a revolver that you like, it's a no-brainer. I'm famous for the .45 1911 that is invariably on me, but I actually carried a S&W .357 revolver for many years, and would not hesitate to do so. The average civilian gunfight needs less than 4 rounds, usually only 2. A revolver is no disadvantage for civilian self-defense, especially when you factor its added reliability.

Get the most comfortable holster you can afford, probably not an IWB (inside-the-waistband) nor pancake. If you will spend time near other people that you do not know, you might consider a holster that has some measure of retention, such as at least a thumbstrap.

You've seen guys thrown out of Wal-Mart? That is a store known for its corporate policy that follows state laws.
You've personally seen guys hassled by the cops? Because it's actually quite rare, especially after a few of the cops got their wienies whacked over it.

Remember, though, don't assert a "right" if you are on someone else's private property. Be very respectful, but act like they are the weird ones for not allowing it.

I look forward to meeting you if we ever make it to the same get-together.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Private property rights trump my OC rights. I do Not argue with people who have invested their life into their dream business Etc.

Concur.

If they are open to discussion, I will talk to them about it, but honor their wishes.

Once or twice, when I've asked someone who was insistent to recommend one of their competitors, the response has been "You only have to put it in your car!" as if I didn't understand that they just don't want the GUN in their store. I explain that if I have to walk all the way back out to my car, I'll just get in it and go shop somewhere where the people don't think I'm so dangerous. And I say it in my most patronizing tone of voice.

28kfps

The OC horror story's are almost gone. Concerning story's remain, I suggest you start off in places that you feel most comfortable, and graduate your skills just like any other activity. My path to OC heaven goes like this:

Govt Has no rights, They do however have a Duty to uphold the law, including ones aimed at them.

As far as the Blue card goes... If you are not inclined to carry your Social Security card around, You may not want to carry your Firearms SSN around.

I aslo agree, when informed by private property they do not allow firearms on their property one needs to respect their rights. However, the few times it has happened to me I will tell them I will respect their property rules. However, will also inform them their business would be posted as a no guns allowed on the internet and we legal gun owners do not support such business that does not allow what is legal in the state of NV and is accepted by the majority of private business.

It is my experience that many private business or employees who say they do not allow guns are ill-informed and believe the majority of all business also do not allow guns. I am of the opinion they need to be informed the norm is most do respect the state law and the 2nd amendment opening themselves to a larger costumer base.