• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self Defense Shooting on School Property

Michigander

That old man had his gun on him...no doubt about it.

Perhaps it's so obvious it doesn't warrant mentioning, but many faculty members in Detroit schools have been carrying concealed in spite of the laws for many decades. The furthest back I have ever heard someone admit to it would be a guy who was a janitor in the 60's.

budlight

Detroit — Martin Luther King Jr. Senior High School assistant basketball coach Ernest Robinson told police he was walking out of the school gym Friday night with two of his players when two teens approached, one brandishing a blue-steel revolver.

"Don't move," the gun-toting teen told Robinson, according to the story he told investigators, which is in police reports obtained by The Detroit News.

The youths "then attempted to grab Mr. Robinson, and a struggle ensued," one report said. Robinson then removed from his 2009 Dodge Journey "his licensed firearm, a Glock 22 .40 caliber blue-steel semi-auto and fired numerous shots …. Mr. Robinson did not know if his shots took effect."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130206/UPDATE/302060461#ixzz2KAThgt7w\

Anyone else call BS on the old man getting to his car to pull his gun in the middle of a fight with two teens, one of the teens being armed?? That old man had his gun on him...no doubt about it.

It doesn't matter if he was carrying or pulled it from his vehicle. He is exempt as he is also a reserver officer.

SpringerXDacp

It doesn't matter if he was carrying or pulled it from his vehicle. He is exempt as he is also a reserver officer.

Yes it does, even as a reserve officer. Other than employed/contracted to provide security for the school, 28.425o, does not provide an exemption for employees of a school. As an employee, the school district may very well prohibit employees to possess/carry weapons even off the clock.

budlight

Yes it does, even as a reserve officer. Other than employed/contracted to provide security for the school, 28.425o, does not provide an exemption for employees of a school. As an employee, the school district may very well prohibit employees to possess/carry weapons even off the clock.

I disagree as he is a reserve officer......

(5) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to any of the following:
(g) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is an auxiliary officer or reserve officer of a police or sheriff's department.

SpringerXDacp

I disagree as he is a reserve officer......

(5) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to any of the following:
(g) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is an auxiliary officer or reserve officer of a police or sheriff's department.

I'll try it a different way...

Lets say Budlight is a Volunteer (Paid or Unpaid) Reserve Deputy for Wayne County Sheriff's Department. Budlight attempts each month to work the required, minimum 20 hours (example), with the department to maintain his status with the department. Budlight's full-time job is maintenance with Wyandotte Public School District. Wyandotte Public School District prohibits students, teachers, faculty, from possession of weapons while at work. Even though Budlight has exemption status under 28.425o, Subsection (5), as a Reserve Deputy, his exemption status does not extend to his place of work where weapons possessed/carried by faculty are prohibited.

Last edited:

budlight

I'll try it a different way...

Lets say Budlight is a Volunteer (Paid or Unpaid) Reserve Deputy for Wayne County Sheriff's Department. Budlight attempts each month to work the required, minimum 20 hours (example), with the department to maintain his status with the department. Budlight's full-time job is maintenance with Wyandotte Public School District. Wyandotte Public School District prohibits students, teachers, faculty, from possession of weapons while at work. Even though Budlight has exemption status under 28.425o, Subsection (5), as a Reserve Deputy, his exemption status does not extend to his place of work where weapons possessed/carried by faculty are prohibited.

Agreed regarding employer’s policy, if they prohibit it, you can’t carry. I was simply referencing the law.

I took your original post as saying unless he was employed/contracted to provide security; it was off limits under the state statute. I think I read too far into your post…..my apologies.