• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hb 1366

hrdware

HB 1366 is scheduled for a hearing on 2/6 in room 432-A of the capitol

Text of measure

This would allow an SDA applicant to turn in the application to any sheriff office in the state, not just the one in the county they reside.

Aknazer

What's an applicant stand to gain from this measure?

My guess would be that if one county is swamped while another has hardly any requests it would allow you to turn yours in at the less busy place, in turn speeding up the rate at which you get your permit. It also helps to prevent politics from getting involved should an office decide to needlessly delay the issuing of permits. Or, should things deteriorate at some point down the road, prevent certain people from preventing one from getting a permit altogether (like how in CA you're highly unlikely to get a permit from a southern city, but if you live in the north you're far more likely to get approved).

It might not be much of a "gain" currently, but it does help in some ways and helps prevent one county from being able to impose it's will on those that live in that county with no recourse for the people.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Just for instance, if I lived just west of Bartlesville, but in Osage County... I'd probably rather go to Bartlesville, (where I probably work and shop everyday) to apply, than to have to drive 26 miles to Pawhuska.

I'm sure if I studied the map, I could come up with several more examples. Living in one county and working in another would always make applying in the other county more convenient, I would think.

hrdware

What's an applicant stand to gain from this measure?

Some sheriffs offices are now setting appointments for people to do finger prints. I have heard of people having to wait a month to get their finger prints done because the sheriffs office is backed up with these requests and only does them at certain times.

And as okiebryan said, if you live near the county line and work in the next county over, it might be easier to go to the sheriffs office outside your county.

hrdware

This bill was removed from the agenda and did not have a hearing. When I find out more, I will post.