• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"thou shalt not kill"

Aknazer

Giant cross on public land = taxpayer money to maintain a religious symbol.

I mean, unless they're going to just let the scrub overtake it, and never inspect the foundation, clean it, maintain trails to it, etc.

Even then, if public dollars were used to build it in the first place (no matter how long ago that was), to avoid showing preference you'd have to build one for any religion who asked, and even if the original was payed for privately you'd have to allow anyone to pay to build one of their own.

Allowing the community to raise money to maintain the land should be fine. Allowing the community to use its land as the community sees fit, so long as they don't discriminate against others. So "the people" can raise the money to maintain it and build it. Should another group of "the people" decide they want to build a different religious symbol nearby and they raise the money to build/maintain it then that should be fine too (again, no tax money being used). The government shouldn't own land that it isn't actively using and it shouldn't be able to simply throw up "this is a park now" to get around not actively using the land either. But as I said, that's all for another thread.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Allowing the community to raise money to maintain the land should be fine. Allowing the community to use its land as the community sees fit, so long as they don't discriminate against others. So "the people" can raise the money to maintain it and build it. Should another group of "the people" decide they want to build a different religious symbol nearby and they raise the money to build/maintain it then that should be fine too (again, no tax money being used). The government shouldn't own land that it isn't actively using and it shouldn't be able to simply throw up "this is a park now" to get around not actively using the land either. But as I said, that's all for another thread.

I have no quarrel with this, although I would say the Mount Soledad affair doesn't fit with this, presently.

Aknazer

I have no quarrel with this, although I would say the Mount Soledad affair doesn't fit with this, presently.

I would agree, both because our country used to be far more religious than it currently is and because the government has basically run around snatching up all land that isn't claimed by an individual/business.

ADobbs1989

Hence; "I believe that there is a god" also isn't a religion. As you stated you need more than just that. But combine the belief in no god with other beliefs (for example, how the universe was created) and you now have a "set of beliefs" that you believe in and follow. The theist umbrella is far more organized and structured, while the atheist umbrella is far more abstract and unorganized. One can even follow both an organized religion and an unorganized religion (all of their own personal beliefs that aren't already enshrined in an organized/recognized religion). Going to snip out the rest as this can be applied to pretty much everything else. And no I don't believe other people will magically go "oh ok then, atheism is a (non)religion" now, but this is simply my view on the matter.

Finally someone who agrees that Atheism is not a religion. Also I would like to point out that a single persons beliefs also does not constitute a religion. Just because I don't believe in a god, I believe evolution is the only evidence we currently have for how life started, and I believe the big bang theory is the only evidence we have so far for the origin of the universe still does not make a religion. If this was the case then the word religion would have absolutely no meaning. You can't just take a bunch of singular beliefs and call it a set of beliefs and say it must then be a religion. There are over 10,000 gods in recorded human history. The "Theist Umbrella" covers anyone who believes in one or more of any of these gods. The "Atheist Umbrella" covers anyone who holds no beliefs in any of those gods. That's ALL that can be under those umbrellas because that is the only point they cover. Theism, like Atheism is not a religion. The definition of a religious belief is "a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny." Any belief can not be tied to religion, according to the definition of a religious belief, you must first believe in a supernatural power or powers. Facts also can't really constitute as a belief system. The Theory of Evolution and The Big Bang Theory are not guesses, assumptions, doctrines, or speculations. They only become a theory after mounds of evidence supports the claims. A Theory in science is a fact, and it is always updating to remain true based on the evidence.

ADobbs1989

For me the breakdown goes:..............................................................Religion
............................................................................................../...................\
.....................................................................................Theism................Atheism
................................................................................./....................................\
...............................................................Overarching Religious Groups.................Individual Beliefs
...................................................................../
..........................................................Individual Religions
................................................................./
....................................................Individual Beliefs

It is ultimately the individual beliefs that determine what one believes, though everything above it plays a role in affecting one's beliefs as they add more structure and rigidity.

Your breakdown is flawed from the beginning. Everything is not a religion. You must be a fan of Mitt, because you sure do flip-flop positions....

ADobbs1989

I would agree, both because our country used to be far more religious than it currently is and because the government has basically run around snatching up all land that isn't claimed by an individual/business.

Wrong again, our country became more religious mid 1900's. When "In God We Trust" was added to money, our motto was changed from E Pluribus Unum to In God We Trust, and "Under God" was added to the pledge. I mean I guess if you saying "used to be" started mid 1900 then I would agree, but our country as far as government is concerned was far less religious between 1776 and the 1950's. If you are meaning the citizens then yes we are become more non religious. I'm not really sure which/what you meant as your statement is kind of vague.

Aknazer

Your breakdown is flawed from the beginning. Everything is not a religion. You must be a fan of Mitt, because you sure do flip-flop positions....

Nice personal attack without explaining why you disagree. And please, show me how I've "flip-flopped" on the subject. Oh wait, I haven't.

Wrong again, our country became more religious mid 1900's. When "In God We Trust" was added to money, our motto was changed from E Pluribus Unum to In God We Trust, and "Under God" was added to the pledge. I mean I guess if you saying "used to be" started mid 1900 then I would agree, but our country as far as government is concerned was far less religious between 1776 and the 1950's. If you are meaning the citizens then yes we are become more non religious. I'm not really sure which/what you meant as your statement is kind of vague.

Nope, not wrong again. Look at how religious we were when we were founded (Salem witch hunts anyone?). Look at the reason that the LDS church was forced to flee west. Eventually this religious tilt indeed got into even the government as you listed. But the country as a whole compared to now was more religious prior to even what you listed.

ADobbs1989

Nice personal attack without explaining why you disagree. And please, show me how I've "flip-flopped" on the subject. Oh wait, I haven't.

Nope, not wrong again. Look at how religious we were when we were founded (Salem witch hunts anyone?). Look at the reason that the LDS church was forced to flee west. Eventually this religious tilt indeed got into even the government as you listed. But the country as a whole compared to now was more religious prior to even what you listed.

You previously said that "Hence; "I believe that there is a god" also isn't a religion. As you stated you need more than just that." Which is a flip-flop to your most recent remark where you list Theism and Atheism both as subsets of religion. It's not a disagreement, it's just wrong.

As I said, it depends on whether by "country" you mean the citizens, or the actual federal government. The country was founded to be secular, which is why there were no references to a particular god. The government since 1776 has become more religious, while the citizens have become less religious. Although the less religious change has only happened in the past couple of decades, most of which was within the past decade.

slowfiveoh

Hence; "I believe that there is a god" also isn't a religion. As you stated you need more than just that.

Correct, that is in fact what I stated.

Theism is no more a religion than atheism.

But combine the belief in no god with other beliefs (for example, how the universe was created) and you now have a "set of beliefs" that you believe in and follow.

None of which are impacted by the lack of belief in a God. THAT is your fallacy. Theism and Atheism are not worldviews. They are simply responses to a singular point. To expound upon a given belief structure and then refer to it as religion is improper, and inaccurate. In fact, I would present with clarity that it is overtly incorrect.

The theist umbrella is far more organized and structured, while the atheist umbrella is far more abstract and unorganized.

What you are missing, is that beyond the singular response, any belief added on doesn't inherently make theism or atheism religion in any which way, shape, or form.

Furthermore, you need to realize the totality of what you are saying.

Many atheists believe in animism.
Many atheists may believe the universe was created, its simply a higher being who was existed and or operates outside of a plane other than our own.
Many atheists may have a problem with evolution.

This does not show that "Atheism is a religion" as you attempted very hard to depict. Atheism is, de facto, a singular point on a singular topic.

The reason so many wonderful analogies are brought up is because they are wholly accurate descriptors of the fallacy.

"Atheism is to religion as bald is to a hair color".

Non-belief does not equal belief. Negative attempts to prove belief in a deity are not "atheist", they are posited by antitheism.

You are clearly attributed extra criteria to a singular point and thus inferring atheism to be religion.

This is a fallacy, and wholly inaccurate.

It is, in fact, just lime me saying, "Tommy doesn't like toast, BUT, Tommy loves evolution, THEREFORE, Tommy is an AntiToastian.".

That is silly idiocy. The same could be, and SHOULD BE, applied to theism. The things that expand FROM a belief in a deity then form around tenet, dogma and ritual, THEN form religion.

One can even follow both an organized religion and an unorganized religion (all of their own personal beliefs that aren't already enshrined in an organized/recognized religion). Going to snip out the rest as this can be applied to pretty much everything else. And no I don't believe other people will magically go "oh ok then, atheism is a (non)religion" now, but this is simply my view on the matter.

You need more study on philosophy, and comprehension. Not being rude, just being truthful. Please don't take offense to that, it is meant in a positive manner.

And that single point still affects other worldviews.

It has no effect beyond declaring "I do not believe there is a god, have evidence?" (Atheism), or "I believe there is a god/s," (Theism). That's it. You cannot add anything else without being disingenuous.

ANYTHING beyond that, quite literally, is projection. It is the attempt of those who oppose said singular views attempt to place it into the trash bin of irrationality by declaring it "similar" to their nonsense.

If we were to sit here at the singular point of being an atheist and or a theist, and I said to you, "I do not believe in a god, do you have any proof of his/her/its existence?"
You could say, "I believe in a god, I do not have proof, but you cannot disprove his existence."

THEN and ONLY then are we discussing Atheism vs Theism.

Once we add various extensions to our argument, or complicated lattices, THEN we are into the structure of beliefs.

If we then agree that certain rituals, tenets, and dogmas are given to us by a lack of creator, or presence of creator, THEN and ONLY THEN, are we creating "religion".

This is a common route for the theists because to them it explains their singular view of belief in a deity, even if nobody can simultaneously agree on what said deity is on a uniform scale.

It is impossible for Atheists to do so because we're still waiting for the proof or evidence. None is given therefore we do not have a foundation for ritual, dogma, or tenet.

Very easy, very straight forward deductive reasoning.

And I wasn't saying anything about trying to convert people. I said how they are being told that they can't mention their god even when asked by a member to pray at their retirement or other events being held for an individual. If an individual of <insert any religion> asks a chaplain to pray at a ceremony that is just for that person then the chaplain shouldn't be told what he can/can't say. And if we don't want them even mentioning god then why are we having them pray at other events?

The Army is more multinational than ever. It has more religious practices in it and so with cultural diversity comes cultural respect.

I can recall quite vividly a few Hindi and Muslim soldiers I served with expressing discomfort and having to partake in a ceremony that acknowledges a deity that is not the one they serve. It appears that their command has religious preferentialism by outward display, and can make soldiers less comfortable within their units. I know that a large portion of our armed forces are multi-ethnic, but just because 40-50% are Christian, does not mean that we should show preferentialism to Christianity from within the government unit.

That's reality.

And I don't have a problem with it being on "public" land.

If the land is government owned then it is, by simple matter of presence, displaying religious preferentialism.

I often wonder if the ability to REALLY place ones self into anothers shoes is impossible by the religious.

If you are a muslim/sikh, and forced to stare at some huge cross, and you know it is paid for and managed by the government, then you don't have to make any leap of any sort to believe and, perhaps, even be correct in assuming that you will be subject to preferentialism.

That "should" be community land and the community should be able to decide such a thing as long as they don't discriminate against others and don't use taxpayer money to maintain a religious symbol. The bigger issue (imo) is how the government has snatched up large chunks of land that it isn't actively using, but that's for another thread.

Oh?

Who gets to make that final decision?

Democratic vote?

It almost makes me wonder, if a democratic vote would be the result of the largest religion base present at time of it passing.

How about government of any scale simply stays out of the business of preferential religious adornment?

Or, would you prefer that your community demand/require the relocation of those who are uncomfortable with forced visuals of your religion posted all over town?

Nah, I'm USAF. My dad retired out of 32nd street and still lives in the Miramar area though.

Ah, always had fun making up new and creative cadences to insult your haircuts as you were passed by our platoons during pt runs at Ft. Gordon. ;) (Humor, and a bit of inter-branch ribbing. Nothing more.)

Last edited:

Tawnos

For me the breakdown goes:..............................................................Religion
............................................................................................../...................\
.....................................................................................Theism................Atheism
................................................................................./....................................\
...............................................................Overarching Religious Groups.................Individual Beliefs
...................................................................../
..........................................................Individual Religions
................................................................./
....................................................Individual Beliefs

It is ultimately the individual beliefs that determine what one believes, though everything above it plays a role in affecting one's beliefs as they add more structure and rigidity.

That is a flawed graph. Theism or non theism (atheism) are individual beliefs. They are a position on a single proposition: do you believe in any god or gods? If the answer is "yes" you are a theist, and if the answer is "no" you're atheist. There are religions which fall under the umbrella of atheism, e.g. Raëlism. A more accurate chart would look like this, with some examples of each breakdown below

Code:
                        _____Individual beliefs_____
                      /                             \
              Theism                                Non-theism (atheism)
            /       \                              /                   \
Religious theism    Non-religious theism     Religious atheism       Non-religious atheism
*Christianity       * "spiritual" believers  * Buddhism              * No religion
*Islam                                       * Raelism

OC for ME

That still doesn't count. We're talking about maintaining a religious monument on public lands. That has nothing to do with individuals' religious freedom. Would you advocate spending public dollars on giant statues of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Individuals have rights; government does not.

Feel free to share any that actually pertain to individual religious freedom, rather than the actions of government.

You saying it doesn't render it true.

Frankly, the more examples you come up with trying to conflate attempts to change what government does with how individuals who work for government express themselves, the more you convince me it's a complete strawman.

As it happens, I myself don't believe there should be giant religious symbols of any sort on publicly-maintained land. This has nothing to do with telling individual government employees not to talk about god.
The federal government has condoned "anti-religious" speech, and even funded anti-religious speech, where they never condone or fund religious speech. Hypocrisy runs rampant throughout the federal government as is evidenced by those who would see no problem with the below. yet, a cement cross on public land is deemed a abomination to our society.

"Piss Christ", funded by the NEA.

eye95

If no public funds are expended mounting or maintaining a religious symbol on public land, then as long as the mounting of any symbol, religious or non-religious, would not be prohibited, then prohibiting the mounting of a religious symbol by individuals would amount to violating their freedom of religion.

BTW, thousands of religious symbols have been mounted and maintained on federal land at taxpayer expense. Want to take those down? I speak of the monuments over the graves of the dead at Arlington and other national cemeteries.

Last edited:

Tawnos

If no public funds are expended mounting or maintaining a religious symbol on public land, then as long as the mounting of any symbol, religious or non-religious, would not be prohibited, then prohibiting the mounting of a religious symbol by individuals would amount to violating their freedom of religion.

This is true: the government may allow equal access to mount a symbol on public land, or nobody, but may not exclusively allow one group to do so.

OC for ME

The anti-religion/anti-liberty crowd squawks the loudest about these types of issues. So much for calls of "live and let live" by liberals. That cross and displays of religious symbols on public land only affect those who have a Jones for religion.

Now, back to the OP. The ACLU does more good than they do bad I must admit. I typically do not agree with their "selective outrage" when the state infringes upon a right, but they do "stick-up" for gun owner(s) on a gun issues from time to time. If only the ACLU would be as outraged about the state infringing upon our 2A right as they are about the state infringing upon our 1A right, cops would be more peace officer than law enforcement goons/revenue collectors.

I rarely engage in bloviating verbosity by those in the anti-religion/anti-liberty crowd. God loves them just as he loves me.

ADobbs1989

BTW, thousands of religious symbols have been mounted and maintained on federal land at taxpayer expense. Want to take those down? I speak of the monuments over the graves of the dead at Arlington and other national cemeteries.

If no taxpayer money is used I couldn't care less what statues they put up. It's when my money is used to help that I have a problem.

Yes I think the cross gravestones should be taken down. Everyone who is in the military is not a christian, so it is disrespectful to put a christian symbol signifying their grave.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I personally have no problems with cross tombstones, so long as I have an equal right to fight and die for my country, and get a Flying Spaghetti Monster tombstone.

The fact that, I have little doubt, that would be found "offensive" or "disrespectful" by pretty much everyone else, goes a long way to show exactly who's projecting all these straw men around.

ADobbs1989

I personally have no problems with cross tombstones, so long as I have an equal right to fight and die for my country, and get a Flying Spaghetti Monster tombstone.

The fact that, I have little doubt, that would be found "offensive" or "disrespectful" by pretty much everyone else, goes a long way to show exactly who's projecting all these straw men around.

I should have said that the tombstones can stay as long as there are fair representations for other religions or non religions. However, this isn't the case.

eye95

...Yes I think the cross gravestones should be taken down. Everyone who is in the military is not a christian, so it is disrespectful to put a christian symbol signifying their grave.

They do not put a Christian symbol on every grave. Check your facts before posting.

OC for ME

Government provided headstones.
Upright marble stones (13x24x4) generally contain eleven lines of text with or without an emblem of belief. Headstones are ordered from the Veteran’s Administration and follow standard guidelines.....

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/funeralinformation/OrderHeadstone.aspx
Click through the "Sample headstones" http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Headstone/DesignerIntro.aspx and you will see the three major religious symbols represented.

If you choose a "private" headstone marker it only need to be reviewed to ensure conformity with the Code of Federal Regulations (32 CFR Part 553.21). I will only speculate whether or not the Great Spaghetti Monster would be approved by the review process. Though, if it is a "appropriate" representation of the "symbol" that represents the Great Spaghetti Monster religion as is the three major religions, I do not see why there would be a issue.

OC for ME

Government provided headstones.Click through the "Sample headstones" http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Headstone/DesignerIntro.aspx and you will see the three major religious symbols represented.

If you choose a "private" headstone marker it only need to be reviewed to ensure conformity with the Code of Federal Regulations (32 CFR Part 553.21). I will only speculate whether or not the Great Spaghetti Monster would be approved by the review process. Though, if it is a "appropriate" representation of the "symbol" that represents the Great Spaghetti Monster religion as is the three major religions, I do not see why there would be a issue.
Administration, Operation, and Maintenance of Army Cemeteries PAM 290-5.

http://www.apd.army.mil/jw2/xmldemo/p290_5/head.asp

Sorry, no FUQ.