• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Security Senors

McLintock

I shop in the Cass county area (Harrisonville and Belton) the Senors at the doors have gone off, both going in and out. this mainly happens at walmart and price chopper. this as gone on for a couple of months, the other day it did the same thing to my buddy. has anyone else had this problem?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Years ago I started setting off shoplifting sensors. It took a while to figure out that a cashier had failed to disable a tag embedded in a new pair of shoes. Of course, every time I wore those shoes past a detector--beeeeeep!!

Oramac

Years ago I started setting off shoplifting sensors. It took a while to figure out that a cashier had failed to disable a tag embedded in a new pair of shoes. Of course, every time I wore those shoes past a detector--beeeeeep!!

This is possible. The sensors at the doors of places like WalMart and such are NOT metal detectors. They are purely a security thing to detect the little widgets they put on merchandise if not deactivated. Those little gray pads at the cashiers station is what deactivates them. If you have good ears, you'll hear a semi-deep sounding "boing" when it deactivates.

Short version, make sure the cashier deactivates all the stuff you buy. Sometimes they miss things.

NG19

Make sure that when you buy coats and shirts that they are deactivated. A lot of companies imbed them in the stitches.

REALteach4u

I've had this problem with certain cell phones on my person as well as a certain proxy ID card. New phone doesn't seem to cause problems and I don't carry that proxy card anywhere but where it's needed.\

NG19 makes a good point. I've purchased golf shirts and had the sensors trip.

Last edited:

Superlite27

Often, retailers will put little cardboard tags in books and other items than can be waved over a "deactivator" pad at checkout in order to deactivate the cardboard thingie that trips the sensor.

.....Oh, what fun can be had by "borrowing" these little doohickeys and dropping them into purses and coat pockets.

Not that I've ever done anything like this, mind you. I've simply heard about it from a friend.

...and if I ever pat you on the back at the grocery store, it's simply because I'm glad to see you.

Last edited:

McLintock

Thanks guys I'll look at all those things. at one point I thought it was my LCP, but that was not the case as I went in to the stores without it. I don't want to walk in OCing and that go off and deal with a MWAG call

Last edited: