• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Preparing to apply for CHP

njonesy_07

All,

I am a new member to this board, however a long time member to other hunting and shooting forums. I hope my questions does not over step my "newbie" status on this particular board.

Anyways, I am a born/raised Oregonian...been around guns, hunting and shooting sports all my life. I am planning to obtain my concealed permit this coming summer when I turn 21. My question is in regards to steps I can make prior to the background check that is completed for the application:

First, can I attend and have documents "signed off" if I attend concealed classes prior to being 21 years old? I hope my question is clear. I am not asking if I can be approved for the permit at this point. I am only asking if I can complete application paper work, like attending the classes, getting fingerprinted etc. before I turn 21? Basically, I would like to get as much done prior to turning 21...before the background check is initiated.

Once I hit that 21, "legal" status, I would submit those documents for the background check etc.

If I can not do those things above that I have described, would there be any steps prior to my 21st that I could take to prepare?

I plan to call the local Sheriff's office to ask similar questions.

Thanks for any insight you can provide. I have already learned a great deal from readings on this site.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The law says nothing about having to be 21 to take the class or any other requirements. It only says that you have to be 21 to obtain one and that the affidavit you sign acknowledges that you are at least 21 years old.

handsomrob

When I got mine, I was fingerprinted at the sheriff's office. The whole process took about an hour from when I handed them the paperwork to walking out the door after being printed if i remember correctly. I also don't see why you wouldn't be able to take safety classes before you turn 21; and you can also fill out the application beforehand, just wait to sign and date it when you go in. I'm not real sure what you mean by "having documents "signed off"?

njonesy_07

When I got mine, I was fingerprinted at the sheriff's office. The whole process took about an hour from when I handed them the paperwork to walking out the door after being printed if i remember correctly. I also don't see why you wouldn't be able to take safety classes before you turn 21; and you can also fill out the application beforehand, just wait to sign and date it when you go in. I'm not real sure what you mean by "having documents "signed off"?

I assumed I needed some kind of signed/approved documentation showing that I had attended and/or completed a knowledge or competence course. Thanks for the quick replies, I will definitely be looking more into this as the date gets closer.

4runman

I compleated the class prior to being 21, I had no problem with the rest of the process. Turned the papers in on my birthday, got my chl a month later.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
If you're already proficient at handling firearms you can skip the in-person CHL class and take the Maryland online (and free) course on gun safety: http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

You can complete it quickly and there's a certificate you print out at the end.

We-the-People

If you're already proficient at handling firearms you can skip the in-person CHL class and take the Maryland online (and free) course on gun safety: http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

You can complete it quickly and there's a certificate you print out at the end.

Unfortunately some counties (JACKSON) won't recognize the perfectly compliant Maryland Course.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The law says nothing about having to be 21 to take the class or any other requirements. It only says that you have to be 21 to obtain one and that the affidavit you sign acknowledges that you are at least 21 years old.

That's correct ... heck, have your newborn attend one, its good for life so get the most out of it!