• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Rifle in TN??

amishjon

I am a new handgun carry permit holder. Is it legal to open carry a rifle with a carry permit. Or without one?? Specifically for certain areas in Nashville or surrounding cities/counties. For example parks,stores, etc.

Help a noob out eh??

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am a new handgun carry permit holder. Is it legal to open carry a rifle with a carry permit. Or without one?? Specifically for certain areas in Nashville or surrounding cities/counties. For example parks,stores, etc.

Help a noob out eh??

Let me first welcome you to OCDO and then recommend that you read the Forum Rules.

I particularly point out rule #14:

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

I moved this thread to the Tennessee sub-forum so that you may get a state specific answer. I think that Tennessee prohibits the open carrying of loaded long guns, but not unloaded ones, but confirmation evades me. I will leave this thread open for someone to provide the answer with a cite. I assure you if this thread goes beyond those limitations it will be closed.

Now how about OCing a handgun and meet up with like minded people at some of the local events? :)

Fallguy

In general it is not legal to carry a loaded long gun in TN, unless hunting or certain other specific activities.

With a Handgun Carry Permit, you can have a loaded long gun in your vehicle as long as there is not a round in the chamber.

SgtScott31

What would be the purpose of carrying a long-gun/rifle in an urban area like Nashville aside from attracting quite a bit of law enforcement attention?

RickTN

State Researcher
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/
I would suggest that anyone carrying a firearm in Tennessee take the time to read Tennessee Code Annotated Title39 chapter17 Part13.

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1307
(e) (1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber. However, the person does not violate this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to § 39-11-611 or § 39-11-612.

(2) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person who is not authorized to possess a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber or cylinder, and no clip or magazine containing ammunition is inserted in the rifle or shotgun or is in close proximity to both the weapon and any person.

amishjon

Let me first welcome you to OCDO and then recommend that you read the Forum Rules.

I particularly point out rule #14:

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

I moved this thread to the Tennessee sub-forum so that you may get a state specific answer. I think that Tennessee prohibits the open carrying of loaded long guns, but not unloaded ones, but confirmation evades me. I will leave this thread open for someone to provide the answer with a cite. I assure you if this thread goes beyond those limitations it will be closed.

Now how about OCing a handgun and meet up with like minded people at some of the local events? :)

Thanks Grapeshot. Definitely interested in participating in local events. This past week has been my first time open carrying outside my apartment complex. I had 1 "awkward" experience right off the bat. But followed by many positive conversations with other citizens. Many people it seems have no idea it is perfectly legal to open carry with a permit here in TN. Thanks for the welcome. And the schooling haha.

amishjon

I would suggest that anyone carrying a firearm in Tennessee take the time to read Tennessee Code Annotated Title39 chapter17 Part13.

(e) (1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber. However, the person does not violate this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to § 39-11-611 or § 39-11-612.

(2) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person who is not authorized to possess a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber or cylinder, and no clip or magazine containing ammunition is inserted in the rifle or shotgun or is in close proximity to both the weapon and any person.

Thanks for the references. With me being a handgun permit holder I can legally keep a rifle in my vehicle with a full magazine inserted into the rifle as long as a round is not chambered. Correct??

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by RickTN

--snipped--

Thanks for the references. With me being a handgun permit holder I can legally keep a rifle in my vehicle with a full magazine inserted into the rifle as long as a round is not chambered. Correct??

That is how the cite reads.

SgtScott31

Agreed. I had read about a guy carrying an "AK-47" in Radnor Lake State Park. Turns out it is actually a pistol but looked like a miniature rifle. Just a question that's all.

The DRACO he was carrying was a pistol by definition because of it's length, but that little incident along with some other shenanigans lead to the Dept of Safety revoking his handgun carry permit. He's no longer able to carry a handgun in TN.