• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shotgun waiting approval

6shooter

Does anyone know why it would take a full week for approval to receive a shotgun? I bought a Mossberg 500 Cruiser last week Tuesday. I am still in "delay" status. I thought this check was instant. Is there a massive backlog by the FBI? It is not a question of my eligibility. Just Saturday, I received my Utah carry permit.

Fallschirjmäger

I've learned that when dealing with the FBI/NICS check there is often no apparent rhyme nor reason to why 'delay's happen. Often, it's been supposed that an applicant's name is similar to another prohibited persons, but I've never had that question answered 'professionally' when I've been on the line with them.

(I should note that IAW the 1974 Privacy Act, NICS is not allowed to discuss why a particular individual is in delayed or denied status. I should also note that the FBI isn't capricious about categorizing a background as 'delayed'. They have reasons, they just won't tell me.)

Last edited:

anmut

Does anyone know why it would take a full week for approval to receive a shotgun? I bought a Mossberg 500 Cruiser last week Tuesday. I am still in "delay" status. I thought this check was instant. Is there a massive backlog by the FBI? It is not a question of my eligibility. Just Saturday, I received my Utah carry permit.

Is it your first gun through a dealer? If yes, then I think you are automatically delayed. If no - then see a psychic for an answer because that's about as close as you'll come to understanding the NCIS system.

Teej

From how I read this, my FFL can transfer after a 3 day delay. How do you read this.
http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2004/11/111204-fbi-nics-delay.pdf

Three complete business days must elapse.

If you buy it on Monday at 9AM, Monday doesn't count...the 3 full business days...midnight to midnight... would be tues/wed/thu...and thus your FFL could transfer to you any time on Friday (but not at 5:01 pm...or even 11:59 pm....on Thursday!). If the 'delay' response came on a sunday, the 3 full business days would be mon/tue/wed and they could legally complete the transfer at 12:01 AM on Thursday.

As specified in the link you sent...if they haven't gotten a response that should be noted on the form, to cover their own butt.

Sorcice

Since when is it 3 days midnight to midnight? I've bought 2 Sig sauer pistols in the last 3 months and both were 48 hr holds(by that I mean 10:45am mon bought and 10:45am wed pickup). Am I missing something? I thought rifles/shotguns were same day buy/release. In WI that is.

Last edited:

Teej

Since when is it 3 days midnight to midnight? I've bought 2 Sig sauer pistols in the last 3 months and both were 48 hr holds(by that I mean 10:45am mon bought and 10:45am wed pickup). Am I missing something? I thought rifles/shotguns were same day buy/release. In WI that is.

You're confusing several different laws / conditions.

Wisconsin had a "48 hour waiting period" and background check on handguns before the "Brady Bill" became law. Brady said nationally that all handguns had a 5-day waiting period unless a background check is run.

Wisconsin has no waiting period for long guns.

What's happening here is that regardless of the above, all firearm purchases from a dealer require the dealer to run a NICS check. In the incident case, the "instant" response from NICS was neither approve nor deny, but rather "DELAY" which means they want more time to respond.

When the FFL is advised of a "DELAY", they must wait through 3 compete business days, after which they may complete the transfer unless they have been notified not to during that window.

Last edited:

zekester

Every time I make a purchase I am always delayed....No rhyme or reason....I think it is because of my brother, but who knows....I just buy it say" I will be delayed" and come back in three days....

6shooter

I purchased the gun at Shooters in Racine. It has been 6 full business days now. I sent them the link I posted here today. While I was there yesterday, I was told they have their own system of a 90 day wait if still on delay. Then they will refund my money without the 20% restocking fee. $65 in my case!!! I hope this can be resolved today.

6shooter

Although I was still in delay status, Shooters transferred the the gun to me yesterday...and I'm liking my new home defense weapon. 10 shells of 00 buck..$16, yikes. I remember when 25 Winchester slugs cost me a fin. That's $5 for you youngsters.

Thanks for the helpful comments too!!!