• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Carry at 18-20 years old

W

Wk05

Hi everybody, I've been a long time reader, first time poster. My question is this - I am an 18 year old Tennessee state resident and would like to be able to concealed carry (please don't say I'm not mature enough, I believe I'm more mature than those I've seen take the ridiculous tn ccw carry classes anyways, not to sound like a snob). If I obtained a non-resident New Hampshire/Maine state permit, would I be legally able to carry in TN with the same restrictions as all other TN CCW holders? If you guys have any good info for me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:

pfries

See below
39-17-1351 r-3-b

(B) If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, the person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1351

Last edited:
W

Wk05

Excellent! I appreciate the help, so I take it TN doesn't even allow 18-20 year olds apply if they have a permit from another state.

W

Wk05

How does car carry work in Tennessee? (For 18-20 year olds)

Fallguy

Firearm possession in a vehicle the same as on person.

Except if you have a carry permit you can have a loaded long gun in your vehicle so long as there isn't a round in the chamber.

W

Wk05

What about from the standpoint of having an unloaded weapon in the vehicle I.e. for a get home bag. Magazines would be unloaded as well. Is there any regulation for that if they are locked in something like a "gun vault" or pelican case? What about the glove box in that scenario(I've heard it's off limits)?

Fallguy

Anyone can transport an unloaded firearm. In TN unloaded means the ammunition and firearm are not stored together and the ammunition is not in the immediate area of you.

W

Wk05

So would I be legal if I had a handgun and magazines (unloaded) locked inn the glove compartment and a box of ammunition in the back of my SUV?

Fallguy

So would I be legal if I had a handgun and magazines (unloaded) locked inn the glove compartment and a box of ammunition in the back of my SUV?

IMO Yes, I think the main thing is that you can't easily and quickly load the firearm.

For the record I AM NOT A LAWYER and an not giving "legal advice"

Fallguy

As far as to and from it would be unloaded like above. As far as carry in the situation you mention above, my personal opinion is it would be iffy. Sorry can't be more specific

W

Wk05

Absolutely. I understand. Looks like there are some perks of going to school in Alabama/Georgia.

W

Wk05

Sorry for the double post, but which state would be the best for me to try to get a permit from? I travel to KY, AL, GA, and NC frequently and if I could carry when I travel, it would make me feel a bit better.

Nascar24Glock

Sorry for the double post, but which state would be the best for me to try to get a permit from? I travel to KY, AL, GA, and NC frequently and if I could carry when I travel, it would make me feel a bit better.

You won't need a permit in KY or NC (unless you plan to carry concealed). In both states, you can openly carry on foot without a permit. You can also openly carry in your car without a permit (KY will additionally allow you to store the handgun in a glovebox, center console, or something similar).

In AL, you can openly carry on foot without a permit; but you'll need a permit to carry concealed or in a vehicle. In GA, you can carry in your car without a permit; but you'll need a permit to carry outside the vehicle (and, as I understand it, due to the way their law is written, you'll also need some form of permit to carry in someone else's vehicle).

Probably, your best bet would be New Hampshire's permit. But, CHECK THE LAWS OF THE INDIVIDUAL STATES ON THEIR RECIPROCITY FIRST! Make sure that the state recognizes NH's permit (usually, you can get this info on the state's website). Also, make sure you check for age restrictions. For example, if I recall right, Virginia and Florida generally recognize New Hampsire's permit. But, they require the permit holder to be 21 or older and don't recognize permits held by those age 18-20.

Last edited:

Fallguy

SgtScott31

Hi everybody, I've been a long time reader, first time poster. My question is this - I am an 18 year old Tennessee state resident and would like to be able to concealed carry (please don't say I'm not mature enough, I believe I'm more mature than those I've seen take the ridiculous tn ccw carry classes anyways, not to sound like a snob). If I obtained a non-resident New Hampshire/Maine state permit, would I be legally able to carry in TN with the same restrictions as all other TN CCW holders? If you guys have any good info for me, I would greatly appreciate it!

My opinion differs so you may need to check with the issuing body (TN Depty of Safety).

Here is the section of TCA 19-17-1351 that pfries posted:

39-17-1351 r-3-b

(B) If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, the person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.

But section (b) of 39-17-1351 also states:

(b) Except as provided in subsection (r), any resident of Tennessee who is a United States citizen or permanent lawful resident, as defined by § 55-50-102, who has reached twenty-one (21) years of age, may apply to the department of safety for a handgun carry permit. If the applicant is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm in this state pursuant to § 39-17-1316 or § 39-17-1307(b), 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), or any other state or federal law, and the applicant otherwise meets all of the requirements of this section, the department shall issue a permit to the applicant.

So if you read the bottom section first and then reread the bolded text from what pfries posted, I don't believe you would be able to carry. If I understand it correctly if you obtained an out-of-state permit from NH as a TN resident, you would still have to apply with TN to get a TN permit. Normally TN would allow you a permit if the other state's requirements are "substantially similar" (per the quote above). It sounds like NH allows 18-20 year olds, but TN does not. I would be surprised if they allowed you to obtain a permit, but you could always try. It's up to the Dept of Safety to decide what is "substantially similar." If one state allows 18-20 year olds, but TN does not, I don't think it's going to happen.

From your post it sounds like you're trying to find a loophole to get a permit by going to another state to obtain one as a non-state resident and then returning to TN to get one when you know the law clearly says you have to be 21 or older. If you knew you had to be 21 and looking for a way to get around the TN law, that's lacking maturity in my opinion.

Last edited:

RickTN

State Researcher
They will send you the proper paperwork or you can download and print off an application and fill it out and mail it in. Cost is $100 and the Permit/License is valid for 4 years. You must have a non restricted permit from another state before New Hampshire will issue you a Non-Resident Permit/License. The process is simple and straight forward.
Vermont Residents are the only people who can get a NH permit without another permit to carry from any state. They must supply a letter from their Local Sheriff or Police Dept stating they are of good character.
Last Updated: 11/23/12
This is from the New Hampshire website of gunlaw.us
The application asks for your home state permit number so without a valid permit from Tennessee you are not eligible for a New Hampshire non resident permit.

Last edited:
W

Wk05

My opinion differs so you may need to check with the issuing body (TN Depty of Safety).

Here is the section of TCA 19-17-1351 that pfries posted:

But section (b) of 39-17-1351 also states:

So if you read the bottom section first and then reread the bolded text from what pfries posted, I don't believe you would be able to carry. If I understand it correctly if you obtained an out-of-state permit from NH as a TN resident, you would still have to apply with TN to get a TN permit. Normally TN would allow you a permit if the other state's requirements are "substantially similar" (per the quote above). It sounds like NH allows 18-20 year olds, but TN does not. I would be surprised if they allowed you to obtain a permit, but you could always try. It's up to the Dept of Safety to decide what is "substantially similar." If one state allows 18-20 year olds, but TN does not, I don't think it's going to happen.

From your post it sounds like you're trying to find a loophole to get a permit by going to another state to obtain one as a non-state resident and then returning to TN to get one when you know the law clearly says you have to be 21 or older. If you knew you had to be 21 and looking for a way to get around the TN law, that's lacking maturity in my opinion.

You can consider trying to find a way to carry immature as much as you like; but if there is legal way that I have to protect myself, or may family and friends when I am out of my home, I find it a completely opposite point of view. The whole legal system is full of "loopholes" that people (I'm sure you included) take advantage of every day. I could make the premise that open carry is immature/illogical and only makes you a target, but I don't because I respect other's opinions and rights and the main focus of this board. I guess I only begin lacking maturity trying to find if I do have these rights through any means possible.

To all others, thank you for your help. I was never able to get a clear answer as to whether I would be able to obtain a New Hampshire CCW, and use it in other states. I appreciate the help. You guys have a great board.

SgtScott31

You contradict yourself. You're not trying to find a "legal" way to obtain a permit in TN. You know the law in TN and you're trying to get around it by applying for an out-of-state permit from a state you probably never go to.

(please don't say I'm not mature enough, I believe I'm more mature than those I've seen take the ridiculous tn ccw carry classes anyways, not to sound like a snob).

Maturity comes in many forms. In this sentence alone what are you implying? "ridiculous" carry classes? Is self-defense training with a firearm ridiculous to you? A good friend of mine who is a 10-yr veteran LEO/K9, SWAT officer, and armorer teaches a ton of HCP classes in Nashville. I don't know you personally and you don't know me, but this sentence alone says a lot. Everyone has a right to defend their family, but in my opinion (which often varies from others on this board) attempting to bypass or break a law to do so draws a bad taste in the mouths of others. It's those who step over the line that set legal & responsible gun carriers back in attempting to get more liberal gun laws passed. You've made it 18-19 years without having to carry a firearm. I'm sure you can wait another year. If you must have one now, go out and get hired with a LE agency. There are a few out there that hire under 21.