Thread: Knife Carry

Knife Carry

Just wanted to know if someone one this forum knows if there is a blade length limit or type of blade
    on a knife if one has a concealed carry license. I have a knife that I may want to carry and it has a fixed seven
    inch blade & is sharpened on both sides of the blade. It is a Ontario Spec one Marine survival knife. If no one
    knows can I be directed to a site where perhaps I can find out? Thanks in advance

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    i dont think there is a stated,defined max length per the state i may be wrong and someone would/should correct me if am if you hear of a max blade length limit that is a local ordinance like city of reedsburg has a 3.5" max blade length ordinance any thing longer is a crime to posses/carry penalties i do not know and likewise i dont know if the CCW laws have any sway on the blade length laws so really you have to check with your local PD's but im sure others will chime in on the CCW part
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

The state does not define a blade length. There are many municipalities that do. Generally speaking, if it is 3" or less, you are fine.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

That as always been the problem with Wis law never did define what a CCW was. So if a LEO wanted to you could be charged with CCW for haveing a screw driver or ay other device that e could or would consider to be a weapon.

Where I would most likely get away with a 9 inch bowie up north you could go to jail down south for it. Even if we were both going to use it to cut brush for a deer blind.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Any knife (except automatics and butterflys) with a CCL, under a certain length for it to be concealed, any length if "open carried." Automatics and butterfly knives are completely illegal. Couldn't cite any specifics for you but this is what my knowledge is from research in the past.

Personally I find it funny that with a CCL I can carry a hidden AK-47 but a "butterfly knife" is still off limits. I think someone a long time ago watched West Side Story too many times...

Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Personally I find it funny that with a CCL I can carry a hidden AK-47 but a "butterfly knife" is still off limits.

Unless it's an AK-47 pistol you can't.

From Wisconsin 175.60:
    (j) “Weapon” means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club.

But I agree the prohibition against switchblades and butterfly knives is totally bizarre! Even on duty cops can't possess them!

Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    Unless it's an AK-47 pistol you can't.

From Wisconsin 175.60:
    (j) “Weapon” means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club.

But I agree the prohibition against switchblades and butterfly knives is totally bizarre! Even on duty cops can't possess them!
    Yes, that is what I meant.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezhed View Post
    Just wanted to know if someone one this forum knows if there is a blade length limit or type of blade
    on a knife if one has a concealed carry license. I have a knife that I may want to carry and it has a fixed seven
    inch blade & is sharpened on both sides of the blade. It is a Ontario Spec one Marine survival knife. If no one
    knows can I be directed to a site where perhaps I can find out? Thanks in advance
    There are no restrictions on what kind of knife you may carry except for switchblades. Your Spec One Marine survival knife is legal because it is not prohibited.
    941.24  Possession of switchblade knife.
    (1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
    (2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer.
    Last edited by Interceptor_Knight; 02-16-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    There are no restrictions on what kind of knife you may carry except for switchblades. Your Spec One Marine survival knife is legal because it is not prohibited.
    "by thrust or movement"

Isn't that how ALL LOCK BLADES OPEN? You use the movement in your finger via a thrusting force to open the knife. Lawmakers LACK common sense!

The reason that I went with a fixed blade knife was because of
    the vagueness of how a folding knife opens in the law and that
    it could be interpreted in weird ways. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by anmut
    Any knife (except automatics and butterflys) with a CCL, under a certain length for it to be concealed, any length if "open carried."
    I've never seen anything in state law referring to the length of knife which can legally be carried, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by anmut
    Lawmakers LACK common sense!
    This is news?

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    That as always been the problem with Wis law never did define what a CCW was. So if a LEO wanted to you could be charged with CCW for haveing a screw driver or ay other device that e could or would consider to be a weapon.

Where I would most likely get away with a 9 inch bowie up north you could go to jail down south for it. Even if we were both going to use it to cut brush for a deer blind.
    WI Law defines a dangerous weapon as---
    (10) "Dangerous weapon" means any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded; any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm; any ligature or other instrumentality used on the throat, neck, nose, or mouth of another person to impede, partially or completely, breathing or circulation of blood; any electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a); or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm.
    The Totality of circumstances would come into play whether or not you would be charged/convicted of CCW with a brush cutting tool in your car and/or on your person. I have never been patted down for a simple speeding ticket. If you were pulled over for suspicion of something more nefarious, the level of scrutiny would be greater.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I've never seen anything in state law referring to the length of knife which can legally be carried, either way.
    There is not in spite of the fact that many people have assumed that there is. Just like there is no WI "law" against driving bare foot or with a police scanner in your car.
    Last edited by Interceptor_Knight; 02-17-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    "by thrust or movement"

Isn't that how ALL LOCK BLADES OPEN? You use the movement in your finger via a thrusting force to open the knife.
    No, it is not. Physical manipulation is not a "thrust or movement" in this context.