Thread: Open carry walk.

Open carry walk.

Anybody want to open carry at this event.

In my opinion, crashing other peoples party's is rude and wins no friends nor brings honor to your point of view.

IMO, if you want to go and lend your support to the ending of gun violence, feel free. It doesn't say a thing about having to believe in disarmament, just a march and gathering to lend a voice to help end gun violence. Just because you carry a gun should not exclude you from joing in the desire to support a peaceful demonstration to bring awareness to the ending of gun violence.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    IMO, if you want to go and lend your support to the ending of gun violence, feel free. It doesn't say a thing about having to believe in disarmament, just a march and gathering to lend a voice to help end gun violence. Just because you carry a gun should not exclude you from joing in the desire to support a peaceful demonstration to bring awareness to the ending of gun violence.

bob
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Bill45 View Post
    In my opinion, crashing other peoples party's is rude and wins no friends nor brings honor to your point of view.
    ^^^^^^

I doubt it will add to the cause of Open Carry. If you are a member of this Church, or you always attend events like this, that's one thing. To go out of your way to make a political statement in the middle of "their event" just puts you in the same category as those from the Westboro Baptist Church.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

^^^^^^
    Indeed, those people who protest the Westboro Baptist Church should certainly be ashamed of themselves for crashing their party.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 02-05-2013 at 11:04 AM.

What is gun violence anyways? I have never seen a gun become violent even once.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

For the same reason I didn't go to the Ceasefire rally, I won't be at this one.....I feel it's important for each side to have their say, no matter how vehemently I disagree with what they are saying. Showing up armed at a candlelight vigil with an opposing viewpoint won't be taken positively by those attending and won't be portrayed in a positive light by the media. We will look like bullies to the general public, and that shouldn't be the image we are going for. What would be good is to have a rally of our own with an opposing viewpoint; they can have their say and we can have ours. Crashing their party does us no favors and will not win over anybody on the fence....in fact it may push people to the anti side.

No. It would be in bad taste.

Going to attend anyway, go incognito in other words CC. Maybe take video camera, observe and be pleasant.

*** "Tongue in cheek" ***
    If you're going to OC anyway, make certain to stand out, but have friends with video cameras who aren't OC or appearing to be attending with you. Let them document anyone who may accost, harass or batter you.

Stuff like this is why I don't go to the Catholic church anymore, they keep supporting political causes that have nothing to do with belief in God, "ending gun violence" is simply code for "civilian disarmament"

The fact the Dioscises is allowing their facility to be used to support this is evidence enough, IMO
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Stuff like this is why I don't go to the Catholic church anymore, they keep supporting political causes that have nothing to do with belief in God, "ending gun violence" is simply code for "civilian disarmament"

The fact the Dioscises is allowing their facility to be used to support this is evidence enough, IMO
    Keep in mind here that the clergy is NOT the Faith, and the Faith is not the clergy. The clergy may have taken a huge left turn in the last couple decades, but remember their political beliefs are NOT matters of Catholic faith or doctrine. The clergy are only human and are going to get things drastically wrong from time to time. They can be swayed by a silver tongue and emotional rhetoric same as anyone else. Keep in mind WHERE this church and Diocese are located too. Methinks if you asked the clergy their opinion on "gun violence" in some place like Arizona or Montana, you might get very different responses.

Quote Originally Posted by compmanio365 View Post
    For the same reason I didn't go to the Ceasefire rally, I won't be at this one.....I feel it's important for each side to have their say, no matter how vehemently I disagree with what they are saying. Showing up armed at a candlelight vigil with an opposing viewpoint won't be taken positively by those attending and won't be portrayed in a positive light by the media. We will look like bullies to the general public, and that shouldn't be the image we are going for. What would be good is to have a rally of our own with an opposing viewpoint; they can have their say and we can have ours. Crashing their party does us no favors and will not win over anybody on the fence....in fact it may push people to the anti side.

This. Either you will be completely ignored and only add one more to their "numbers," or you will be painted in a very negative light and your presence seen as "antagonistic" or "combative."

Personally, I won't support any kind of end to "gun violence." I would like to see an end to ALL violence. Is stabbing or beating someone to death somehow morally superior to shooting them? "Gun violence" is just a red herring.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Don't open carry at a gun control advocacy event

Gun control advocacy events will attract the most rabid anti self defense media coverage. If you OC at an event created to advance the anti self defense agenda, the media WILL portray your presence in an extremely negative manner. Your message will be submerged by the hysteria. This cannot advance our viewpoint.

If you absolutely have to attend, don't OC and do carry polite signs disagreeing with their message.
    Last edited by liberty404; 02-05-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: further explaination
    Don't make me hungry, you won't like me when I'm hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    No, but I think having a shooting get together at a range or legal shooting area and doing our own vigil like this will be a good idea, what do you think?

they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

What we should do is have a coffee meet-up on the Hill...let me know, fellas.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill45 View Post
    I not only OCd the ceasefire rally, I walked in the parade. When asked what "A Right not Exercised is a Right Lost", we explained we were supporting their First Amendment Right. We continued to explain that we supported the entire Constitution. Some had open minds and engaged in conversation, some were rabid hoplophobes.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    When is our march to voice our concern to eliminate the criminal use of guns to commit violent crimes?
    Was that not in olympia recently....thirty five hundred Legally Armed Citizens.......and no one injured.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I not only OCd the ceasefire rally, I walked in the parade. When asked what "A Right not Exercised is a Right Lost", we explained we were supporting their First Amendment Right. We continued to explain that we supported the entire Constitution.
    Nicely done.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I not only OCd the ceasefire rally, I walked in the parade. When asked what "A Right not Exercised is a Right Lost", we explained we were supporting their First Amendment Right. We continued to explain that we supported the entire Constitution. Some had open minds and engaged in conversation, some were rabid hoplophobes.

Was that not in Olympia recently....thirty five hundred Legally Armed Citizens.......and no one injured.
    I was there with you.

I have thought about attending this "walk" but if the criminals know that we will not be there they might grab some easy pickings. Something that I do not condone but would still not feel bad if it happened.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)