• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry walk.

BobR

IMO, if you want to go and lend your support to the ending of gun violence, feel free. It doesn't say a thing about having to believe in disarmament, just a march and gathering to lend a voice to help end gun violence. Just because you carry a gun should not exclude you from joing in the desire to support a peaceful demonstration to bring awareness to the ending of gun violence.

bob

Alpine

IMO, if you want to go and lend your support to the ending of gun violence, feel free. It doesn't say a thing about having to believe in disarmament, just a march and gathering to lend a voice to help end gun violence. Just because you carry a gun should not exclude you from joing in the desire to support a peaceful demonstration to bring awareness to the ending of gun violence.

bob

+1

amlevin

In my opinion, crashing other peoples party's is rude and wins no friends nor brings honor to your point of view.

^^^^^^

I doubt it will add to the cause of Open Carry. If you are a member of this Church, or you always attend events like this, that's one thing. To go out of your way to make a political statement in the middle of "their event" just puts you in the same category as those from the Westboro Baptist Church.

compmanio365

For the same reason I didn't go to the Ceasefire rally, I won't be at this one.....I feel it's important for each side to have their say, no matter how vehemently I disagree with what they are saying. Showing up armed at a candlelight vigil with an opposing viewpoint won't be taken positively by those attending and won't be portrayed in a positive light by the media. We will look like bullies to the general public, and that shouldn't be the image we are going for. What would be good is to have a rally of our own with an opposing viewpoint; they can have their say and we can have ours. Crashing their party does us no favors and will not win over anybody on the fence....in fact it may push people to the anti side.

bmg50cal

Going to attend anyway, go incognito in other words CC. Maybe take video camera, observe and be pleasant.

*** "Tongue in cheek" ***
If you're going to OC anyway, make certain to stand out, but have friends with video cameras who aren't OC or appearing to be attending with you. Let them document anyone who may accost, harass or batter you.

EMNofSeattle

Stuff like this is why I don't go to the Catholic church anymore, they keep supporting political causes that have nothing to do with belief in God, "ending gun violence" is simply code for "civilian disarmament"

The fact the Dioscises is allowing their facility to be used to support this is evidence enough, IMO

Metalhead47

Stuff like this is why I don't go to the Catholic church anymore, they keep supporting political causes that have nothing to do with belief in God, "ending gun violence" is simply code for "civilian disarmament"

The fact the Dioscises is allowing their facility to be used to support this is evidence enough, IMO

Keep in mind here that the clergy is NOT the Faith, and the Faith is not the clergy. The clergy may have taken a huge left turn in the last couple decades, but remember their political beliefs are NOT matters of Catholic faith or doctrine. The clergy are only human and are going to get things drastically wrong from time to time. They can be swayed by a silver tongue and emotional rhetoric same as anyone else. Keep in mind WHERE this church and Diocese are located too. Methinks if you asked the clergy their opinion on "gun violence" in some place like Arizona or Montana, you might get very different responses.

For the same reason I didn't go to the Ceasefire rally, I won't be at this one.....I feel it's important for each side to have their say, no matter how vehemently I disagree with what they are saying. Showing up armed at a candlelight vigil with an opposing viewpoint won't be taken positively by those attending and won't be portrayed in a positive light by the media. We will look like bullies to the general public, and that shouldn't be the image we are going for. What would be good is to have a rally of our own with an opposing viewpoint; they can have their say and we can have ours. Crashing their party does us no favors and will not win over anybody on the fence....in fact it may push people to the anti side.

This. Either you will be completely ignored and only add one more to their "numbers," or you will be painted in a very negative light and your presence seen as "antagonistic" or "combative."

Personally, I won't support any kind of end to "gun violence." I would like to see an end to ALL violence. Is stabbing or beating someone to death somehow morally superior to shooting them? "Gun violence" is just a red herring.

liberty404

Don't open carry at a gun control advocacy event

Gun control advocacy events will attract the most rabid anti self defense media coverage. If you OC at an event created to advance the anti self defense agenda, the media WILL portray your presence in an extremely negative manner. Your message will be submerged by the hysteria. This cannot advance our viewpoint.

If you absolutely have to attend, don't OC and do carry polite signs disagreeing with their message.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
In my opinion, crashing other peoples party's is rude and wins no friends nor brings honor to your point of view.

I not only OCd the ceasefire rally, I walked in the parade. When asked what "A Right not Exercised is a Right Lost", we explained we were supporting their First Amendment Right. We continued to explain that we supported the entire Constitution. Some had open minds and engaged in conversation, some were rabid hoplophobes.

When is our march to voice our concern to eliminate the criminal use of guns to commit violent crimes?
Was that not in olympia recently....thirty five hundred Legally Armed Citizens.......and no one injured.

rapgood

I not only OCd the ceasefire rally, I walked in the parade. When asked what "A Right not Exercised is a Right Lost", we explained we were supporting their First Amendment Right. We continued to explain that we supported the entire Constitution.

Nicely done.

Freedom1Man

I not only OCd the ceasefire rally, I walked in the parade. When asked what "A Right not Exercised is a Right Lost", we explained we were supporting their First Amendment Right. We continued to explain that we supported the entire Constitution. Some had open minds and engaged in conversation, some were rabid hoplophobes.

Was that not in Olympia recently....thirty five hundred Legally Armed Citizens.......and no one injured.

I was there with you.

I have thought about attending this "walk" but if the criminals know that we will not be there they might grab some easy pickings. Something that I do not condone but would still not feel bad if it happened.