• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Sheriff's Association "supports" 2A ? Orly?

j4l

If I am not mistaken, werent these Arsehats among the lobbyists AGAINST our efforts to get O.C. here? (along with the PSA, and the Biz Cartels)
this quoute, from my local Sheriff just cracks me up, given his comments back when the bill was before the Senate...

" The Florida Sheriff's Association is declaring its support for the 2nd amendment and a refusal to "assist, support, or condone any unconstitutional infringement of that right". Jacksonville Sheriff John Rutherford says he will continue to support, protect and defend the liberties and rights of people in Duval County."

"
Florida Sheriffs Association Announces Their Stand to Gun Control
Thursday, January 31, 2013

Florida Sheriffs Association

Proclamation 2013-1

Support of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

WHEREAS, the Florida Constitution in Article VIII, Section 1 (d), created the Office of the Sheriff and in invested the Sheriff with certain powers necessary to carry out his or her duties to serve and protect; and

WHEREAS, Sheriffs are charged with the public trust and are sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States, which guarantees the right to bear arms; and

WHEREAS, the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution assures the right of the people to keep and bear arm; and

WHEREAS, Florida Sheriffs have continually supported the rights guaranteed under the Constitution of the United States, including the right to bear arms, and the Florida Sheriffs affirm they will not assist, support, or condone any unconstitutional infringement of that right;

NOW, THEREFORE BE IT PROCLAIMED, that on this 29th day of January 2013 at the Winter Conference in Destin, Florida, the Florida Sheriffs Association publicly acknowledges and reiterates its support for the rights provided by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. "

http://www.sheriffleefl.org/main/index.php?r=news/index&id=10474

conandan

Wonder what happened to the sheriff's that would not allow oc and the ones who harass us about cc. I think I'm going to print this and when I get home I'm going to oc in town. And when the sheriff deputy comes up I'm going to had him there letter and say your boss supports the 2nd amendment. How can I be breaking the law. I know its going to cause me some trouble but I have to make the point..

77zach

HAHA.LOLZ...

They're such politicians. Thankfully, because of the internet, their perfidy is well documented and understood. They can jump in a lake.

AGAINST OC=AGAINST THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. Nuff said.

j4l

Odd, I have not seen too many that say that they "don't support the 2nd amendment" if they do or not

Yes, and No. In all fairness, most of the "street" cops with whom I've spoken, are all for 2A AND O.C...

What concerns me is the FSA choosing to be " FOR" 2a , when it's the popular sentiment to get behind, but equally AGAINST C.C./O.C. when it's in their (lobbying) interest... or whenever they seem to feel like it. I wish they would just come to a consenus on it, adhere to it, enforce it amongst their officers, and take a stand, and stick to it.
May as well have John Kerry heading the FSA, as it stands, though.....

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
The FSA will not assist, support, or condone any unconstitutional infringement of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Of course the problem is that many of them think that Feinstein's bill is not unconstitutional.

rvrctyrngr

The FSA will not assist, support, or condone any unconstitutional infringement of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Of course the problem is that many of them think that Feinstein's bill is not unconstitutional.

I think they'd only consider it unconstitutional if they were affected.

Talesman

If I am not mistaken, werent these Arsehats among the lobbyists AGAINST our efforts to get O.C. here? (along with the PSA, and the Biz Cartels)

I am thinking you are correct.

Someone probably forced a vote in the assembly and no one wanted to go on record as being an "anti." Which would also seriously hurt their various fund raising efforts both politically and charitable.

Just look at their individual records and quotes. That is far more telling.

Fo instance, the Tampa Bay Times (aka St. Pete Times) had the following published this week: "Parsing a loaded phrase

Guns, unlike roads or parks, are not something Pinellas County has much control over. So Sheriff Bob Gualtieri tried to apply a light touch to the subject last week, proposing to a room full of the county's elected officials that the phrase "background check" was a little deceptive. When someone buys a gun, the only check that's done looks at whether the person is a felon, has had a domestic injunction taken out against them, or meets a few other criteria.

"There is no background check," Gualtieri, a Republican, said, suggesting that maybe a new name was in order.

Republican state Sen. Jack Latvala, right, ignited.

"Maybe something has happened since I wrote all that literature for your campaign where we talked about the crime rates, but have we had an explosion of gun violence in Pinellas County?" he said.

Gualtieri responded: "No, the only reason I raise it is it's about what the citizens believe is being done … people are lulled into this sense that there's an actual vetting."

Dipping his toe into an already boiling discussion, Commissioner Ken Welch said he thought the commission should have the right to regulate guns in its own parks and facilities.

Latvala went off again.

"I think some of this is political, and we're not used to having that in these meetings, you know," he chided.

"I thought maybe the fluoride thing taught us something about that. We need to be concentrating on building roads and maintaining roads and parks instead of getting into collateral issues."

Can't expect much more from Welch, a black dem. who is sitting illegally (and soon to be removed) but what the heck from the Sheriff? His job is to enforce the laws and shut up. If he doesn't like it, then quit. Others will gladly fill the void. And while it looks like Sen Latvala seems to be on the side of the lawfully carry citizen that really isn't the case. He has his issues as well. Can't find the news quote or I'd paste it.

Last edited: