• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NYC is after KY CCW addresses

ps1mhd

The request from Aaron Noble, editor of HEAVY.com, has been sent to sheriff offices throughout Kentucky, under the Kentucky Open Records Act, as allowed under Kentucky Revised Statute 61.872.

In a letter dated Jan. 30, received at the Mason County Sheriff's Office, Noble is requesting "to obtain copies of public record that contains the names and addresses of all handgun permit holders in the county of Mason."

http://www.maysville-online.com/new...cle_aa2a63f5-d9b0-5545-b65d-98643bfbf3c7.html

How far will this go?:eek:
How many more states got this request?
So far it looks like we'll safe

Mike

Tmhrr

The Sheriff is doing the right thing, Ky law does not allow him to release this information

http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/110.PDF

(10)

The Department of Kentucky State Police shall maintain an automated listing of license holders and pertinent information, and this information shall be available on-line, upon request, at all times to all Kentucky, federal, and other states' law enforcement agencies. A request for the entire list of licensees, or for all licensees in a geographic area, shall be denied. Only requests relating to a named licensee shall
be honored or available on-line. Information on applications for licenses, names and addresses, or other identifying information relating to license holders shall be confidential and shall not be made available except to law enforcement agencies. No request for lists of local or statewide permit holders shall be made to any state or local law enforcement agency, peace officer, or other agency of government other than the Department of Kentucky State Police, and no state or local law enforcement agency, peace officer, or agency of government, other than the Department of Kentucky State Police, shall provide any information not entitled to it by law.

Tmhrr

Why are they focusing on Mason county? What's special about Mason Co?

The article stated "The request from Aaron Noble, editor of HEAVY.com, has been sent to sheriff offices throughout Kentucky"

based on this my understanding is the request has went to several sheriffs, if not all, and the Maysville paper only talked to the local sheriff.

self preservation

The article stated "The request from Aaron Noble, editor of HEAVY.com, has been sent to sheriff offices throughout Kentucky"

based on this my understanding is the request has went to several sheriffs, if not all, and the Maysville paper only talked to the local sheriff.
I see. Now my next question, why does a paper give a sh!t about who owns a gun in KY? Is this supposed to be a way to shame us or what?

Curtis C

If you know everyone that has a ccdw then you automaticly know everyone that doesn't
true, but there is no gun registration or permit needed to buy a firearms in this state, seem pointless. my guess is nyc does not know this. i'm confused as to why they want the info.

Tmhrr

my guess is nyc does not know this. i'm confused as to why they want the info.

Maybe they don't know, Maybe they are just willing to take what they can get.

Last week there were stories out of New York about the Journal News was printing names and addresses, and even made an interacive map of permit holders in a couple of counties in Ny, they were claiming it was for public safety and that the publc had a right to know where the guns were.

This has happened in several jurisdictions before, Ky has addressed the issue about privacy every since the law was first past in 1996

ps1mhd

seems to me this would only concern those with conceal carry permits.

And how many of us on here both open and conceal carry or will when they turn 21?
It may not concern you now but what about next month or next year?

Mike