Thread: Spotsylvania hospital policy posted

Spotsylvania hospital policy posted

Ok so down here doing some at the hospital and they barely have a no weapons sign posted around from the information desk. Upon reading the sign it has a bit about everyone being subject to search and management reserves the right to seize anything. Is this even legal. I thought that they would only be able to ask you to leave?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Ask them where they derive their legal authority to seize your personal property.....
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I would like to but because of my job making hospitals upset is a no no. Maybe I can get my wife to ask???

Is it possible you can ppost a picture of the item?

Then someone who does not face repercussions could ask the impertinent questions.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I have one on my pc. I will upload when I get a chance

O.K. Here is what I have learned.

Some hospitals are private. Their policy is what it is.

Some hospitals are a state authority. They appear to be able to set a no guns policy. This is what I ran into at Chesapeake General Hospital.

Some hospitals run off a local government hospital authority. These hospitals are preempted because local government authorities are specifically preempted.

Some hospitals run off of a Virginia University/School charter. They also appear to have limited ability to make some gun rules. (At least that is what our "screwed by the cooch" attorney general says.)

The point is all hospitals are not the same.

Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    O.K. Here is what I have learned.

Some hospitals are private. Their policy is what it is.

Some hospitals are a state authority. They appear to be able to set a no guns policy. This is what I ran into at Chesapeake General Hospital.

Some hospitals run off a local government hospital authority. These hospitals are preempted because local government authorities are specifically preempted.

Some hospitals run off of a Virginia University/School charter. They also appear to have limited ability to make some gun rules. (At least that is what our "screwed by the cooch" attorney general says.)

The point is all hospitals are not the same.

Thundar
    I would be absolutely astonished if you can find any hospital in Virginia that knowingly allows visitors to carry firearms.

TFred

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I would be absolutely astonished if you can find any hospital in Virginia that knowingly allows visitors to carry firearms.

TFred
    I agree TFred but this seems to be the issue here:

Ask them where they derive their legal authority to seize your personal property.....

Sorry it took so long to post this. We just had our new baby arrive on the 6th and computer access has been limited.

Congrats!!
    Chance favors only the prepared mind.

Louis Pasteur

On topic, I thought only LEO can make a seizure, not "security"...

Where is the securities legal authority to seize?
    Chance favors only the prepared mind.

Louis Pasteur

This is an HCA hospital. The HCA hospitals in the Richmond area routinely use off duty LEO for security, particularly in the Emergency Department 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    This is an HCA hospital. The HCA hospitals in the Richmond area routinely use off duty LEO for security, particularly in the Emergency Department 24/7.
    So that means any police officer in the state is allowed to arbitrarily steal my personal property for no legal reason whatsoever?

TFred

That's what I was wondering. You are not breaking a law you are not following their rule.

Oh and the baby is a boy 9lbs 4oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    That's what I was wondering. You are not breaking a law you are not following their rule.

Oh and the baby is a boy 9lbs 4oz.
    Congratulations.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Thanks. I was OC the other day with a baby bjorn on the front and a diaper bag on my back. Talk about the suburban commando look. I could have used crayons for camo face paint.

Congrats on the rug rat.

"Off duty" cops - one of my favorite rants. And even if I concede (which I do not) that they are LEO while working at the hospital, they could only seize evidence of a crime. Still trying to figure out what crime your handgun would be evidence of of which your handgun would be evidence of having committed (preemptory strike at grammar nazis). I keep trying trespass but since for all practical purposes they must ask you to leave a seiizure of a handgun as evidence just does not fit.

As for "search"? I do not think so. Ask to look in my bag, yes. Put hands on my body or lift clothing, no. But I will document the event as evidence of the assault with which they will be charged.

Of course the big proiblem is that someone is going to be subjected to illegal/extralegal action before they can seek redress. A very sucky way to defend rights.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Good grief, we've got morons running this place. I can't see photobucket links at work, so just now was able to read the sign.

"In the event of abuse, appropriate action up to and including criminal prosecution."

This isn't even English!

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 02-18-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Re: Spotsylvania hospital policy posted

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    There are no signs at Obici hospital, in Suffolk VA. This information was three months old, as I took the wife for the umm.. good hormone therapy..

I didn't push my luck though, I cc'ed. If someone has been there recently and that has changed, or I missed the sign, please feel free to correct me.

.45 or bust