• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotsylvania hospital policy posted

Uber_Olafsun

Ok so down here doing some at the hospital and they barely have a no weapons sign posted around from the information desk. Upon reading the sign it has a bit about everyone being subject to search and management reserves the right to seize anything. Is this even legal. I thought that they would only be able to ask you to leave?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Is it possible you can ppost a picture of the item?

Then someone who does not face repercussions could ask the impertinent questions.

stay safe.

Thundar

O.K. Here is what I have learned.

Some hospitals are private. Their policy is what it is.

Some hospitals are a state authority. They appear to be able to set a no guns policy. This is what I ran into at Chesapeake General Hospital.

Some hospitals run off a local government hospital authority. These hospitals are preempted because local government authorities are specifically preempted.

Some hospitals run off of a Virginia University/School charter. They also appear to have limited ability to make some gun rules. (At least that is what our "screwed by the cooch" attorney general says.)

The point is all hospitals are not the same.

Thundar

TFred

O.K. Here is what I have learned.

Some hospitals are private. Their policy is what it is.

Some hospitals are a state authority. They appear to be able to set a no guns policy. This is what I ran into at Chesapeake General Hospital.

Some hospitals run off a local government hospital authority. These hospitals are preempted because local government authorities are specifically preempted.

Some hospitals run off of a Virginia University/School charter. They also appear to have limited ability to make some gun rules. (At least that is what our "screwed by the cooch" attorney general says.)

The point is all hospitals are not the same.

Thundar
I would be absolutely astonished if you can find any hospital in Virginia that knowingly allows visitors to carry firearms.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I would be absolutely astonished if you can find any hospital in Virginia that knowingly allows visitors to carry firearms.

TFred

I agree TFred but this seems to be the issue here:

Ask them where they derive their legal authority to seize your personal property.....

Uber_Olafsun

Sorry it took so long to post this. We just had our new baby arrive on the 6th and computer access has been limited.

IMG_3679.jpg

mtbinva

On topic, I thought only LEO can make a seizure, not "security"...

Where is the securities legal authority to seize?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Congrats on the rug rat.

"Off duty" cops - one of my favorite rants. And even if I concede (which I do not) that they are LEO while working at the hospital, they could only seize evidence of a crime. Still trying to figure out what crime [strike]your handgun would be evidence of[/strike] of which your handgun would be evidence of having committed (preemptory strike at grammar nazis). I keep trying trespass but since for all practical purposes they must ask you to leave a seiizure of a handgun as evidence just does not fit.

As for "search"? I do not think so. Ask to look in my bag, yes. Put hands on my body or lift clothing, no. But I will document the event as evidence of the assault with which they will be charged.

Of course the big proiblem is that someone is going to be subjected to illegal/extralegal action before they can seek redress. A very sucky way to defend rights.

stay safe.

TFred

Good grief, we've got morons running this place. I can't see photobucket links at work, so just now was able to read the sign.

"In the event of abuse, appropriate action up to and including criminal prosecution."

This isn't even English!

TFred

Last edited:

mpguy

TFred

There are no signs at Obici hospital, in Suffolk VA. This information was three months old, as I took the wife for the umm.. good hormone therapy..:p

I didn't push my luck though, I cc'ed. If someone has been there recently and that has changed, or I missed the sign, please feel free to correct me.

.45 or bust