• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If states cannot enforce federal immigration laws......

Freedom1Man

http://immigrationimpact.com/2012/08/08/states-apply-brakes-on-immigration-legislation-in-2012/
[/quote]
Court ruling in the SB 1070 case that local officers cannot unilaterally enforce federal immigration laws. Some states will likely continue to pursue punitive, enforcement only measures in their statehouses to score political points. However, the good news from this NCSL report is, more and more states are putting the brakes on immigration enforcement at the local level and thinking through what a state’s role is in federal immigration enforcement.[/quote]

Court ruling in the SB 1070 case that local officers cannot unilaterally enforce federal [strike]immigration[/strike] laws.

If this is correct, then how can a state enforce any federal _______________ laws. Fill in the blank; drug, gun, hunting, tax, road, drinking, and so on....

While I believe that states have the authority to repel invasion(s) without any input from congress the ruling was interesting.

If the states cannot enforce federal laws then that means they cannot enforce federal laws. Plain and simple.

Ca Patriot

I agree and have always wondered the same.

It was never intended by the founding fathers that the federal government would be more powerful than the states.

The truth is today the federal government has become a higher power than the states and the feds bully states into complying with the federal actions they want.

I really dont think there are any city or state LEO that have the guts to stand up to the feds and say NO.

Some LEO claim they would but they dont.

sharkey

I used this same argument with a "friend" who tried to argue the supremacy clause makes it ok for the feds to ban assault weapons. I said by that same token no state can enforce those bans. LOL.

Now technically that was all decided on the executive branch not wishing to enforce said laws but he doesn't know that.