Thread: Cantor appears to be willing to cave on background checks

Thumbs down Cantor appears to be willing to cave on background checks

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...a-possibility/

Universal background checks will lead to national registration......
    Last edited by Marco; 02-05-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: I oc'ed while typing this but it's a LG so I can't discuss
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

The article does not quote him as supporting background checks for private sales. Maybe he's said it elsewhere but I didn't see it there. I would argue that is the line in the sand.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I sent him a "no expansion of background-check requirements" e-mail.

I noted two things about his contact form:

- there is no pre-written topic for "Gun-violence conversation" or "Violence Control" or "Civil Rights' -- rather his choice of words is "Gun Control"
    - he asks how the 112th Congress is doing.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...a-possibility/

Universal background checks will lead to national registration......
    I have no illusion that Cantor has actually changed his spots Marco, but the depth of the public reaction and the resulting panic, has even surprised me.

My guess is he doesn't want to commit political suicide just now. For the moment, he's on our side.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I have no illusion that Cantor has actually changed his spots Marco, but the depth of the public reaction and the resulting panic, has even surprised me.

My guess is he doesn't want to commit political suicide just now. For the moment, he's on our side.
    Cantor may appear to be temporarily on our side, but watch your back

That dog still has fleas.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I have sent Cantor an email regarding this and the AWB Feinstein is trying to pass, got this as a response:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 (S.150). Its companion measure in the House is H.R. 437. Like all Americans, I am very concerned about the senseless deaths that occur in any mass killings, including those at Virginia Tech and Sandy Hook. We must continue to bear them in mind as we work to make sure tragedies like these never happen again.

This legislation would prohibit the sale, transfer, importation and manufacture of certain assault weapons and bans the sale of high capacity ammunition magazines. H.R. 437 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee for consideration. To date, no further action has been taken on this measure. You may be assured that I will keep your opposition in mind should this legislation come before me in the House of Representatives.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For your convenience, you may receive further information from me on issues important to the 7th District at http://cantor.house.gov/ Your thoughts and comments are always welcome.

With kind regards, I am

blah blah blah.... Lots of talk without saying anything. He's going to avoid the issue until a bill gets on the House floor. In either case, we must keep the pressure on him and every other Rep/Sen so they know how badly this could affect their reelection chances.
    Last edited by Numenor; 02-06-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Cantor is a skunk, not a dog

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Cantor may appear to be temporarily on our side, but watch your back

That dog still has fleas.
    Sir,

I have 2 dogs. Your use of a dog analogy when describing Cantor is an insult. Cantor is a feckless political hack.

I would have said that skunk still has fleas, stinks and sometimes appears rabid.

Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Sir,

I have 2 dogs. Your use of a dog analogy when describing Cantor is an insult. Cantor is a feckless political hack.

I would have said that skunk still has fleas, stinks and sometimes appears rabid.

Thundar
    It is an analogy. In this case saying that the problem still is there, nothing has changed.
    No intention to insult your dogs. If it will help, offer them my apologies.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Numenor View Post
    I have sent Cantor an email regarding this and the AWB Feinstein is trying to pass, got this as a response:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 (S.150). Its companion measure in the House is H.R. 437. Like all Americans, I am very concerned about the senseless deaths that occur in any mass killings, including those at Virginia Tech and Sandy Hook. We must continue to bear them in mind as we work to make sure tragedies like these never happen again.

This legislation would prohibit the sale, transfer, importation and manufacture of certain assault weapons and bans the sale of high capacity ammunition magazines. H.R. 437 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee for consideration. To date, no further action has been taken on this measure. You may be assured that I will keep your opposition in mind should this legislation come before me in the House of Representatives.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For your convenience, you may receive further information from me on issues important to the 7th District at http://cantor.house.gov/ Your thoughts and comments are always welcome.

With kind regards, I am

blah blah blah.... Lots of talk without saying anything. He's going to avoid the issue until a bill gets on the House floor. In either case, we must keep the pressure on him and every other Rep/Sen so they know how badly this could affect their reelection chances.
    That's one of the problems with Cantor, he doesn't address any questions he is asked, all he seems to do is write to you telling you what you already know .. namely what the bill, you are asking his standpoint on, is about.

I received a similar reply some years ago when I asked him why he voted to approve allowing Mexican trucks and drivers to carry freight throughout the entire US instead of just the border region. All he did was quote back to me what the bill said, so I responded telling him I'm not f***ing stupid, I know what the bill said and that what I wanted to know was why he was so f***ing stupid to vote for it and so f***ing ignorant to be unable to answer the question he was asked.

I feel politicians are unnecessary, if we could do away with them all we'd save a fortune in taxes because we wouldn't have to pay their wages. I'm all for attaching electrodes to their genitals and wiring them to a lie detector before every speech they ever make.

Don't hold back

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    That's one of the problems with Cantor, he doesn't address any questions he is asked, all he seems to do is write to you telling you what you already know .. namely what the bill, you are asking his standpoint on, is about.

I received a similar reply some years ago when I asked him why he voted to approve allowing Mexican trucks and drivers to carry freight throughout the entire US instead of just the border region. All he did was quote back to me what the bill said, so I responded telling him I'm not f***ing stupid, I know what the bill said and that what I wanted to know was why he was so f***ing stupid to vote for it and so f***ing ignorant to be unable to answer the question he was asked.

I feel politicians are unnecessary, if we could do away with them all we'd save a fortune in taxes because we wouldn't have to pay their wages. I'm all for attaching electrodes to their genitals and wiring them to a lie detector before every speech they ever make.
    Tell us how you truly feel about Eric. No need to "soft pedal" it.

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    Tell us how you truly feel about Eric. No need to "soft pedal" it.
    He was just being diplomatic and chosing his words carefully.

Cool Emailed a question to Eric, Mark and Timmy

How is t that a fully automatic M4 in the hands of the DHS is a “Personal Defense Weapon”, but a semi-automatic AR-15 in the hands of a legally armed citizen (me) is an assault weapon?

Why does DHS need 400 MILLION hollow point bullets?

Who is DHS at war with?

As a citizen that you represent I would like an answer besides the DHS "no comment" reply.

Thank you.

Cantor's always been a major league spelunker.