• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cantor appears to be willing to cave on background checks

optiksguy

The article does not quote him as supporting background checks for private sales. Maybe he's said it elsewhere but I didn't see it there. I would argue that is the line in the sand.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I sent him a "no expansion of background-check requirements" e-mail.

I noted two things about his contact form:

- there is no pre-written topic for "Gun-violence conversation" or "Violence Control" or "Civil Rights' -- rather his choice of words is "Gun Control"
- he asks how the 112th Congress is doing.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have no illusion that Cantor has actually changed his spots Marco, but the depth of the public reaction and the resulting panic, has even surprised me.

My guess is he doesn't want to commit political suicide just now. For the moment, he's on our side.

Cantor may appear to be temporarily on our side, but watch your back :exclaim:

That dog still has fleas.

Numenor

I have sent Cantor an email regarding this and the AWB Feinstein is trying to pass, got this as a response:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 (S.150). Its companion measure in the House is H.R. 437. Like all Americans, I am very concerned about the senseless deaths that occur in any mass killings, including those at Virginia Tech and Sandy Hook. We must continue to bear them in mind as we work to make sure tragedies like these never happen again.

This legislation would prohibit the sale, transfer, importation and manufacture of certain assault weapons and bans the sale of high capacity ammunition magazines. H.R. 437 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee for consideration. To date, no further action has been taken on this measure. You may be assured that I will keep your opposition in mind should this legislation come before me in the House of Representatives.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For your convenience, you may receive further information from me on issues important to the 7th District at http://cantor.house.gov/ Your thoughts and comments are always welcome.

With kind regards, I am

blah blah blah.... Lots of talk without saying anything. He's going to avoid the issue until a bill gets on the House floor. In either case, we must keep the pressure on him and every other Rep/Sen so they know how badly this could affect their reelection chances.

Last edited:

Thundar

Cantor is a skunk, not a dog

Cantor may appear to be temporarily on our side, but watch your back :exclaim:

That dog still has fleas.

Sir,

I have 2 dogs. Your use of a dog analogy when describing Cantor is an insult. Cantor is a feckless political hack.

I would have said that skunk still has fleas, stinks and sometimes appears rabid.

;)

Thundar

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sir,

I have 2 dogs. Your use of a dog analogy when describing Cantor is an insult. Cantor is a feckless political hack.

I would have said that skunk still has fleas, stinks and sometimes appears rabid.

;)

Thundar

It is an analogy. In this case saying that the problem still is there, nothing has changed.
No intention to insult your dogs. If it will help, offer them my apologies. :(

scouser

I have sent Cantor an email regarding this and the AWB Feinstein is trying to pass, got this as a response:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 (S.150). Its companion measure in the House is H.R. 437. Like all Americans, I am very concerned about the senseless deaths that occur in any mass killings, including those at Virginia Tech and Sandy Hook. We must continue to bear them in mind as we work to make sure tragedies like these never happen again.

This legislation would prohibit the sale, transfer, importation and manufacture of certain assault weapons and bans the sale of high capacity ammunition magazines. H.R. 437 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee for consideration. To date, no further action has been taken on this measure. You may be assured that I will keep your opposition in mind should this legislation come before me in the House of Representatives.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For your convenience, you may receive further information from me on issues important to the 7th District at http://cantor.house.gov/ Your thoughts and comments are always welcome.

With kind regards, I am

blah blah blah.... Lots of talk without saying anything. He's going to avoid the issue until a bill gets on the House floor. In either case, we must keep the pressure on him and every other Rep/Sen so they know how badly this could affect their reelection chances.

That's one of the problems with Cantor, he doesn't address any questions he is asked, all he seems to do is write to you telling you what you already know .. namely what the bill, you are asking his standpoint on, is about.

I received a similar reply some years ago when I asked him why he voted to approve allowing Mexican trucks and drivers to carry freight throughout the entire US instead of just the border region. All he did was quote back to me what the bill said, so I responded telling him I'm not f***ing stupid, I know what the bill said and that what I wanted to know was why he was so f***ing stupid to vote for it and so f***ing ignorant to be unable to answer the question he was asked.

I feel politicians are unnecessary, if we could do away with them all we'd save a fortune in taxes because we wouldn't have to pay their wages. I'm all for attaching electrodes to their genitals and wiring them to a lie detector before every speech they ever make.

va_tazdad

Don't hold back

That's one of the problems with Cantor, he doesn't address any questions he is asked, all he seems to do is write to you telling you what you already know .. namely what the bill, you are asking his standpoint on, is about.

I received a similar reply some years ago when I asked him why he voted to approve allowing Mexican trucks and drivers to carry freight throughout the entire US instead of just the border region. All he did was quote back to me what the bill said, so I responded telling him I'm not f***ing stupid, I know what the bill said and that what I wanted to know was why he was so f***ing stupid to vote for it and so f***ing ignorant to be unable to answer the question he was asked.

I feel politicians are unnecessary, if we could do away with them all we'd save a fortune in taxes because we wouldn't have to pay their wages. I'm all for attaching electrodes to their genitals and wiring them to a lie detector before every speech they ever make.

Tell us how you truly feel about Eric. No need to "soft pedal" it.

va_tazdad

Emailed a question to Eric, Mark and Timmy

How is t that a fully automatic M4 in the hands of the DHS is a “Personal Defense Weapon”, but a semi-automatic AR-15 in the hands of a legally armed citizen (me) is an assault weapon?

Why does DHS need 400 MILLION hollow point bullets?

Who is DHS at war with?

As a citizen that you represent I would like an answer besides the DHS "no comment" reply.

Thank you.