• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC'er here

Orion_13

Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to open carry. I oc'd for the first time today in Paducah at Harbor Freight and Mail It Express. I'm happy to report that I had no issues at either place. In fact I would say that people were more respectful then ever. Not that they are disrespectful before but they were overly friendly today. No one mentioned anything about the fact that I was carrying and I only noticed one person looking at my weapon. So I would call my first day a success.
:banana:

Orion

CharleyCherokee

And that is generally how it goes. I've had some unfortunate encounters, but for the most part they are non-existent. Very cool that there is another confirmed OC'er in Paducah, Ky. :D

Last edited:

Orion_13

And that is generally how it goes. I've had some unfortunate encounters, but for the most part they are non-existent. Very cool that there is another confirmed OC'er in Paducah, Ky. :D

I'm just trying to get use to the whole idea of packing a gun and the logistics of actually carrying it. I have a ccdw class scheduled for the 16th of this month and I can't wait. It seems like time is dragging right now as I wait for that day to get here. Once I get past that class I won't need to save "factory" made ammo for that purpose and I can shoot more. I'm trying to find 9mm shells so I can load up my own but everything is hard to come by these days. Leave it to the anti gun people to dry up the ammo and gun supply.:banghead:

How long does it take from the time you complete the ccdw class till you actually get the license to carry?

Orion

Daddynexxus

I'm just trying to get use to the whole idea of packing a gun and the logistics of actually carrying it. I have a ccdw class scheduled for the 16th of this month and I can't wait. It seems like time is dragging right now as I wait for that day to get here. Once I get past that class I won't need to save "factory" made ammo for that purpose and I can shoot more. I'm trying to find 9mm shells so I can load up my own but everything is hard to come by these days. Leave it to the anti gun people to dry up the ammo and gun supply.:banghead:

How long does it take from the time you complete the ccdw class till you actually get the license to carry?

Orion

It's taken my grandfather 12 weeks.

Orion_13

It's taken my grandfather 12 weeks.

Looks like I will have plenty of OC time then. I will get it just in time for the sweat season! I do a lot of riding (motorcycle) during the summer. Exactly where does the law stand on open carry and motorcycles? Do you just wear it on your hip or put it in your saddle bags or what exactly?

Orion

hotrod

Looks like I will have plenty of OC time then. I will get it just in time for the sweat season! I do a lot of riding (motorcycle) during the summer. Exactly where does the law stand on open carry and motorcycles? Do you just wear it on your hip or put it in your saddle bags or what exactly?

Orion

Pretend it's BRUTE. Just slap it on and ride!

KYGlockster

Activist Member

Orion

Wear it on your side. If the motorcycle has factory insalled storage compartments then you could also keep it in those locations.

(a) "Vehicle" includes:
1. All agencies for the transportation of persons or property over or upon the public highways of the Commonwealth; and
2. ALL vehicles passing over or upon the highways.

(b) "Motor vehicle" includes all vehicles, as defined in paragraph (a) of this subsection except:
1. Road rollers;
2. Road graders;
3. Farm tractors;
4. Vehicles on which power shovels are mounted;
5. Construction equipment customarily used only on the site of construction and which is not practical for the transportation of persons or property upon the highways;
6. Vehicles that travel exclusively upon rails;
7. Vehicles propelled by electric power obtained from overhead wires while being operated within any municipality or where the vehicles do not travel more than five (5) miles beyond the city limits of any municipality; and
8. Vehicles propelled by muscular power.

Orion_13

Thanks for clearing that up for me. The saddle bags aren't factory installed but the bars that support them are. The original bags have long since been replaced with larger ones. Being leather bags I wouldn't leave my weapon in the bags at all.

Orion