• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keep Gun In Car At Work

self preservation

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?111347-Keep-Gun-In-Car-At-Work

I could really use an answer on this one, so I am doing. Hoping it's allowed, since it's also Kentucky and also Law.

They can not fire you for having a gun in your car at work. If they did they would pay a heavy price to you in court. BUT, they can fire you for being "5 minutes early to work" if you know what I mean. Starting today get all memos, emails, policy books or anything else that states that your company prohibits (or tries to) having a gun in your car at work. Get a recorder, wear if and get a boss telling you this as well. It may come in handy later.

Last edited:

self preservation

I'm asking if they can even prevent you from parking your car on the property, loaded/unloaded weapon in the glove box?

I assume you mean parking your car on their property because you have a loaded/unloaded gun in your car? Unless someone can correct me, no. Just ask Micheal Mitchell, he'll tell ya.

Last edited:

self preservation

I see. If I get more solid replies I'll be bringing in the Statute and Section 8 to work to show my employer they are being unlawful :)

Honestly, they may change their stance, but I doubt it. It doesn't hurt to make them aware, but if they are that anti then you may find yourself getting fired for being early to work. Most of these places know the way around things. Thats why I say go ahead and start showing a pattern just in case.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I see. If I get more solid replies I'll be bringing in the Statute and Section 8 to work to show my employer they are being unlawful :)

NO! They can NOT fire you for keeping a firearm in your vehicle.

If you go in to your boss and explain to him that they are violating state law, then you could get your self into trouble. Of course they cannot fire you for keeping a firearm or other deadly weapon in your vehicle in accordance with KRS 237.104, but they can fire you for any other reason. If they dislike you coming before them and explaining to them that they are in violation of State law, then they could LEGALLY fire you.

If you keep a firearm in your vehicle do NOT tell them. Do NOT tell them that they are violating the law. If you want them to know, then have someone else come in and speak with them but do NOT have them inform your employer that they know you.

There has been one person here that I know of that was fired because they brought KRS 237.104 to their employer's attention. They didn't have a recorder, so they have no ground for a lawsuit because they have no proof of wrongdoing.

Last edited:

eye95

IANAL, but that law seems to be exempting carry in a car from requirements for a concealed carry license. It does not seem to bind an employer into allowing you to have a gun in your car on his premises.

States that have such laws are very clear on disallowing an employer from forbidding you to have a firearm in your car locked up and/or out of sight while on his premises. The statute that you cited seems to say nothing of the sort.

Daddynexxus

IANAL, but that law seems to be exempting carry in a car from requirements for a concealed carry license. It does not seem to bind an employer into allowing you to have a gun in your car on his premises.

States that have such laws are very clear on disallowing an employer from forbidding you to have a firearm in your car locked up and/or out of sight while on his premises. The statute that you cited seems to say nothing of the sort.

On the contrary, it does state, pretty specifically, the employer cannot forbid you from having a firearm locked in your car.

No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a loaded or unloaded firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction.

Orion_13

Create a gmail account that has no ties to you personally.. ie have a friend set it up for you... then use that gmail account to notify the boss and carbon copy human resources of the statue that they are violating. If you want someone to setup a gmail for you let me know I will do it. Just give me an idea for a password and gmail account name and we will get it done. That way it won't show any ties back to you even if they had google give them the originator's real email address. ;) Yes I am a geek.

Orion

decklin

Darden policy prevents termination under these circumstances :), but thank you very much for your concern and warning!

Eye is giving you good advice. You should heed it. It doesn't matter what the reason is for termination. It only matters what they say the reason is.
Meaning that they may fire you for having a gun in your car but that won't be the reason they give. They could use hygiene, being late, attitude, whatever.
Also, why are you telling your employer what you have in YOUR car? It is none of their business and they don't have any legal standing to search your vehicle. So they will only know if you tell them.
Remember just 'cause you're right doesn't mean you'll win.