Thread: Firearms Surrender Project kenosha, not good...

Cudahy, Wisconsin, USA

Firearms Surrender Project kenosha, not good...

earth's crust
    A RO is a civil matter ... anyone who complies with this is an idiot ... just "sell" you guns to someone.

West Allis, WI
    Can you trust the government to give you your firearms back? You can get a restraining order on anyone. Heck, I bet I could get one for Chief Flynn. Does that mean he'd have to turn in his firearm(s)? Well...besides being a felon already...
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

in front of my computer, WI
    requires people who have restraining orders against them to turn in their firearms. They will be able to get their weapons back after the restraining order expires. This adds an extra court hearing to the restraining order process to make sure the person is complying with the weapons restriction
    Unless the judges are going to order anyone with a restraining order to also have no 'weapons', I don't see how this is legal. (Or are they assuming any restraining order is for domestic violence, which is an automatic disqualifier?)

And unless they're going to send an officer to search each home, I don't see how this could be effective. Someone could turn in one pistol, go to court & say "that's all". One of the other news channels said something about the person requesting the order providing the make, model, serial # for the firearms to be given up. Doesn't that expose the person to more risk from the subject of the order?

Wonder what happens to the 10% who don't comply? I'd guess that the 90% who give up their self-defense tools probably aren't people who needed a restraining order in the first place.
    And I wonder how the Sheriff's dep't is going to come up with the funds & people-hours to do this? Maybe they were over-staffed before?
    Last edited by MKEgal; 02-06-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    A RO is a civil matter ... anyone who complies with this is an idiot ... just "sell" you guns to someone.
    I suppose in WI statutes, a restraining order means you can't have guns. Why didn't they get the guns when the RO was first issued in court?? I don't know if WI statutes even say RO=no guns. Must be left to a judge.
    Last edited by Law abider; 02-06-2013 at 11:26 AM.