• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Surrender Project kenosha, not good...

protias

Can you trust the government to give you your firearms back? You can get a restraining order on anyone. Heck, I bet I could get one for Chief Flynn. Does that mean he'd have to turn in his firearm(s)? Well...besides being a felon already...

MKEgal

requires people who have restraining orders against them to turn in their firearms. They will be able to get their weapons back after the restraining order expires. This adds an extra court hearing to the restraining order process to make sure the person is complying with the weapons restriction
Unless the judges are going to order anyone with a restraining order to also have no 'weapons', I don't see how this is legal. (Or are they assuming any restraining order is for domestic violence, which is an automatic disqualifier?)

And unless they're going to send an officer to search each home, I don't see how this could be effective. Someone could turn in one pistol, go to court & say "that's all". One of the other news channels said something about the person requesting the order providing the make, model, serial # for the firearms to be given up. Doesn't that expose the person to more risk from the subject of the order?

Wonder what happens to the 10% who don't comply? I'd guess that the 90% who give up their self-defense tools probably aren't people who needed a restraining order in the first place.
And I wonder how the Sheriff's dep't is going to come up with the funds & people-hours to do this? Maybe they were over-staffed before?

Last edited:

Law abider

A RO is a civil matter ... anyone who complies with this is an idiot ... just "sell" you guns to someone.

I suppose in WI statutes, a restraining order means you can't have guns. Why didn't they get the guns when the RO was first issued in court?? I don't know if WI statutes even say RO=no guns. Must be left to a judge.

Last edited: