• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sb206

hrdware

SB206 is scheduled for a hearing in the Senate public safety committee on 2/7, 9:30am, room 534A at the capitol.

Text of Measure

This bill would clarify that an unconcealed handgun would have to be carried in a "belt holster or shoulder holster" or scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms. It would add that someone carrying concealed could not be disarmed without there being criminal activity afoot. It would also remove the administrative fines and suspension of your license if you were carrying a firearm without your license, you could still face charges under 1272 however.

Last edited:

Brandon9mm

SB206 is scheduled for a hearing in the Senate public safety committee on 2/7, 9:30am, room 534A at the capitol.

Text of Measure

This bill would clarify that an unconcealed handgun would have to be carried in a belt holster. It would add that someone carrying concealed could not be disarmed without there being criminal activity afoot. It would also remove the administrative fines and suspension of your license if you were carrying a firearm without your license, you could still face charges under 1272 however.

Is 1272 a new bill or old? I like the fact that they remove the fines and suspension. I have been known to forget my wallet on occasion.

arc37

required holsters

I do sometimes carry in a Galco shoulder holster so this would outlaw that. It is Nice sometime to take my jacket off at restaurant to easy. Would this law stop that.I hate that they are regulating my equipment.

bmpnridr

Who cares where they carry unconcealed. I was considering a drop leg holster for a while, then realized that wouldn't be comfortable for me but still, why limit how it's carried?

hrdware

Is 1272 a new bill or old? I like the fact that they remove the fines and suspension. I have been known to forget my wallet on occasion.

1272 is a section of law in Title 21. It is the Unlawful carry statute.

Typically new legislation will be referred to as HBXXXX or SBXXX while existing statute will just be referred to by the number.

hrdware

I do sometimes carry in a Galco shoulder holster so this would outlaw that. It is Nice sometime to take my jacket off at restaurant to easy. Would this law stop that.I hate that they are regulating my equipment.

I clarified the original post. Current law is "...belt or shoulder holster..." or a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms. This would add the word holster after the word belt, "...belt holster or shoulder holster..." All other text in the definition of unconcealed carry would remain the same.

Aknazer

They need to either define what a "belt" holster is or simply change it to say that the gun must be carried in a holster and left at that (really, who cares where the holster is on your person so long as it's in a holster). After all, a drop-leg/thigh holster attaches to one's belt so wouldn't that qualify as a "belt" holster. But yet I can see certain people trying to say it isn't a belt holster because it also has straps around one's thigh and goes by names other than just "holster" or "belt holster."

Not to mention that when one looks up the word "scabbard" in the dictionary it specifically states how it is for knives/swords. And if one were to take the definition provided in the dictionary for a "scabbard" and apply it to guns, then ANY holster would qualify as a "scabbard" as one can see from the definition below.

Scabbard:
noun
1. a sheath for a sword or the like. See illus. under scimitar.
verb (used with object)
2. to put into a scabbard; sheathe.

World English Dictionary -
a holder for a bladed weapon such as a sword or bayonet; sheath

babiker911

Holster

I wish they would just say holster or any appurtenance designed for carrying a firearm, and leave shoulder or belt iut. I carry in a Fobus, but have been advised to always have a belt on when carrying just because the current language includes the word belt. The more specific the language, the more hamstrung we become. Who cares how its carried?