• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range day Holy Crap moment this past Saturday!

PFC HALE

Please see post #15. There are effective and ineffective ways to accomplish the same goal. One has the potential to create an ally who is more knowledgeable, the other has the potential to create an even more ignorant anti.

We need more allies.

this doesnt explain a muzzle up my butt...?

still waiting on that answer.

REALteach4u

You're free to act as you see fit, of course, however I would caution against this sort of thing. Calling out the person who screwed up in front of everyone, without knowing anything about the person, is a great way to take a potential ally and turn them into an anti. Just because they made a mistake doesn't mean they are stupid. Remember, there is a difference between ignorant and stupid. You can fix ignorant. You can't fix stupid.

I will always try to educate someone before dismissing them out of hand. That said, if they do, in fact, prove to be stupid rather than ignorant, then they just need to leave.

I do agree. She was shaken enough as it was and I didn't want her confidence destroyed any farther. Hopefully they'll both seek out some quality training and perhaps she'll be wise enough to not let him teach her things that he's new at when it puts life potentially at risk. To give an example: I wouldn't want him teaching her to skydive if he'd just learned how to pack his first parachute hours before.

I think it was handled properly on my part as a guest on someone else's range. It reinforces why I am a firm believer in staying thin on how many lanes I use so I'm not spread so I can act quickly. It also reiterates why I stress getting First Aid training as well as some sort of training or understanding on bullet trauma. Lord knows that a bullet trauma isn't basic First Aid and it's not suggested that you go beyond the basics, but knowing how to identify it, what you might be looking at, shapnel, etc. on a bullet trauma can actually help paramedics gain valuable time.

KBCraig

I think it was handled properly on my part as a guest on someone else's range.

Let me just re-emphasize that it doesn't matter if you're a guest or the owner, a complete novice or a world champion, anyone can call a CEASE FIRE at any time on any range, and should do so whenever they see an unsafe act.

Shooting the ceiling, the wall, and the floor with the first three shots certainly counts.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Let me just re-emphasize that it doesn't matter if you're a guest or the owner, a complete novice or a world champion, anyone can call a CEASE FIRE at any time on any range, and should do so whenever they see an unsafe act. --snip--

Those are holy words - engraved in stone.

REALteach4u

Good way to get the muzzle shoved where the sun don't shine when on a public unmanned range.

Manned range or unmanned range, it wouldn't matter. Swift sensible action is called for when the split-second scenario occurs. By the way, thanks for giving me the mental picture of someone doing just what you illustrated at Busiek State Park's range. I really didn't need that with some of the experiences I've had out there with REALLY unsafe people and poachers. Spot on by the way.

please do explain?

if im reading this right, if i saw you doing something stupid and endangering the lives of anyone at a public range and i happen to call ceasefire and point out your unsafe acts you would put a muzzle up my butt?

did i get that right?

I think that was a play on words rather than an intent to commit. However, I'm not putting anything past anyone when it comes to reacting to the split-second situation....especially if the firearm winds up pointed at THEM.

Let me just re-emphasize that it doesn't matter if you're a guest or the owner, a complete novice or a world champion, anyone can call a CEASE FIRE at any time on any range, and should do so whenever they see an unsafe act.

Shooting the ceiling, the wall, and the floor with the first three shots certainly counts.

Sadly, I've had odd results using CEASE FIRE! I've transitioned to STOP SHOOTING. When people are sharing the range with us and I say CEASE FIRE, it seems I always have someone shooting when I say "cease", so all they hear is "fire". I transitioned to "stop shooting" because it's not what people would normally expect and it gets them to actually stop quite consistently. "GUNS DOWN" also works well as a failsafe.

Any way you cut that, it needs to be understood that ANYONE can call that cease fire when they see unsafe behavior or some sort of emergency has just occurred. I prefer that none chastize folks who overuse it because it may discourage use when it's truly needed. Simple corrections are all that's needed.

Last edited:

attrapereves

There are some real idiots at my local MDC unstaffed range. Going early in the morning during a weekday seems to help. The idiots seem to come out on weekend afternoons.