• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Apartment open carry

Chevy4life77

Ok so new here and new to carrying but already running into issues. I am awaiting my cpl in the mail but I am aware that Washington is an open carry state. So this week when my car was broken into twice I decided to open carry till I get my cpl. To be respectful I asked my apartment complex to make sure it was ok and check their policies. In their policies the main thing is not carrying in a threatening manner which follows what I've found in rcw's. however when the manager caught wind she flipped and told me I could not because it could hurt the other tenets feelings. I told her I would review all laws but in the end would excercise my rights. So I've looked at the apartments regs I've looked up rc regs and land lord and tennnet laws and have found nothing to say I can't. But I'd like someone with more experience to give me feedback and possibly quote some laws so I can take official documents back to her. Can I open carry within my apartment complex/grounds

--Moderator note-- Moved this thread to the Washington sub-forum for state specific answer(s)

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleWingsfan

I understand people that are new to the area or new to a situation in particular might be uneasy to do something without checking. I personally can't fault somone for that. It always seems that "we" the law abiding gun owners that try to be in your words "respectful" always get hassled for being so. When you ask, you expess the idea that you do not know your rights. Which opens the door to people imposing their views upon you and not your rights.

It is the majority opinion of people on here, I believe, to adopt the position that you do as you believe you have rights and carry yourself well and you will rarely ever even be asked about your carry. I have a friend that started to carry conceled a few years ago and just recently started to OC. He started getting managers asking him to leave and people questioning him. I ran into him in the grochiery store and his body language was terrible. He looked unsure, slouching, looked paranoid.. I told him if he looks scared how are others going to feel?

Chevy4life77

Thanks guys appreciate the support. I had tried to do my research prior to talking to them so hopefully I didn't sound too out there just wanted to see if anyone knew what specific laws pertained

golddigger14s

Activist Member
You do not have to ask permission to do something legal. "Officer, is it OK to do 60 mph in the 60 mph zone?" Welcome aboard, carry on and don't worry about hurting anybodies feelings.

arentol

Thanks guys appreciate the support. I had tried to do my research prior to talking to them so hopefully I didn't sound too out there just wanted to see if anyone knew what specific laws pertained

When you moved in you signed a lease and possibly a tenant agreement, and you may have received a rules pamphlet. What you should have done was read that and determine it had anything that would stop you from OC'ing. If not, then don't ask the manager, just do it. And if there is a rule, then don't do it.

Batousaii

And what about your feelings ?? - Maybe it hurt your feelings to have your car broken into, like violated maybe? Your not violating anyone by open carrying, and it makes you feel safe. Are their feelings more important than yours?

Remember, it is hard to introduce "logic" to an emotionally driven person (common to anti-gun types), so you have to speak their langauge, emotion, feelings, a bit of spin etc.
- If she attempts to argue those points, tell her you feel like she is singling you out for being different... lol... that will put a spin on it.

Welcome aboard - it will get more comfortable to open carry as you do it more.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
While you are fully with in your right to open carry it does not mean you will not be financially harmed by the apartment management or owners, you weigh your options and go from there.

hermannr

You have the absolute right to possess in any manner you wish, within your apartment. You also have the right to carry your pistol between your apartment and your parking stall. After entering your car and anywhere else you may be, you are covered by state law,

As for "common areas" within the apartment complex, your rental agreement will rule. If the rental agreement you signed has a restriction on carry in common areas, then there is a restriction, If your rental agreement is silent, then state law applies (that is you can carry openly or conceal as you please on private property that you are on legally)

When you are out-and-about, state law is that you may OC loaded without a license, anywhere you may legally be, but you must unloadin a vehicle unless you qualify for an exemption under RCW 9.41.060 ((8)) is the most common used.

I have a policy, know the law...that is what counts...anything beyond the law,,,it is much easier to ask forgiveness, then it is permission.

You must understand...not everyone knows the law. Just make sure you do...

Last edited:

Stat

spot on

I understand people that are new to the area or new to a situation in particular might be uneasy to do something without checking. I personally can't fault somone for that. It always seems that "we" the law abiding gun owners that try to be in your words "respectful" always get hassled for being so. When you ask, you expess the idea that you do not know your rights. Which opens the door to people imposing their views upon you and not your rights.

It is the majority opinion of people on here, I believe, to adopt the position that you do as you believe you have rights and carry yourself well and you will rarely ever even be asked about your carry. I have a friend that started to carry conceled a few years ago and just recently started to OC. He started getting managers asking him to leave and people questioning him. I ran into him in the grochiery store and his body language was terrible. He looked unsure, slouching, looked paranoid.. I told him if he looks scared how are others going to feel?

I agree 100%