• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry experience thread.

Rusty Young Man

No issues while carrying, but I did have one person ask if my 1911 was a paintball marker?:confused:

Also, I may have surprised the heck out of people when I helped an older gentleman with a walker remain standing instead of "blasting up the place":rolleyes: (quoted for sarcastic effect).

I'm sure the surprised looks were mainly due to the female guest I brought along; can you imagine a female carrying a *gasp* firearm for self defense?:shocker:

azcdlfred

7 visibly armed members of AzCDL met at Einstein Bagels on Oracle, near Limberlost in Tucson to count the ballots for the recent AzCDL director election.

It was a ho-hum event as far as open carry and the place was packed and we were there for about 4 hours.

But, we are all geezers with no tattoos or piercings and we know that guns belong in holsters and not down the front of our pants, and we know how to keep our pants up and which direction the bill of a cap should face.

Fred

FreeInAZ

7 visibly armed members of AzCDL met at Einstein Bagels on Oracle, near Limberlost in Tucson to count the ballots for the recent AzCDL director election.

It was a ho-hum event as far as open carry and the place was packed and we were there for about 4 hours.

But, we are all geezers with no tattoos or piercings and we know that guns belong in holsters and not down the front of our pants, and we know how to keep our pants up and which direction the bill of a cap should face.

Fred

Those old geezers are the ones I pay the most attention to. As the saying goes "old & treacherous, beats young & dumb almost always." Or something to that effect?

Well done guys! And you got it done before the sun set. Outstanding. Just razzing you guys, as I'm getting older and more treacherous quicker than I'd like to admit. Lol. ;)

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
the world I grew up in. Hi-tech was a slide rule...........

I still have my slide rule. My kids have NO idea as to what it is and how to use it.

But, we are all geezers (not geezer, Vintage) with no tattoos or piercings and we know that guns belong in holsters and not down the front of our pants, and we know how to keep our pants up and which direction the bill of a cap should face.

Fred

Rusty Young Man

Sorry for the hiatus, I've just been quite busy the past few weeks, and this past week especially.:)

OCed in Tucson at a Circle K and got the most annoying response to OC I've had yet:
Cashier: Are you a cop?
Me: Nope. I'm just an armed, Law-Abiding Citizen.
Cashier: So, you coming back from the range? [Never gone shooting at 9 pm]
Me: No...
Cashier (before I can finish my sentence): You go hunting? [Does anyone hunt with a 1911?]
Me: No, I...
Cashier (again, before I can finish my sentence): (scoffs) So you just carry a gun for no reason? [NOW everything makes sense:rolleyes:]
Me (with a smile): No, I carry because even though being a victim isn't a choice, being easy prey IS. I've just decided not to be easy pickings for criminals. Thanks, and have a nice evening.

A female coworker of his was watching this exchange, and I got a little sense of satisfaction watching her look over at the male cashier who had absolutely no words to respond.:D

Later ran into one of the LEOs watching the intersections where (MUCH needed) roadwork was (finally) being done. He recognized my pistol as a 1911 and only asked what brand it was. We briefly spoke guns until the walk signal came on and I was able to cross the street; the only encounter an OCer should have with an LEO, in my opinion.:)

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Kind of odd OC experience?

So, I decide to have a nicer lunch today. I go to the Sheraton crescent ball room. Place is fairly busy at 11am already? Look around and I see some others carrying? Then more, and more, and even more??? By the time lunch is in full swing 500+ people were there enjoying lunch together all armed! God I love AZ. :)

I even ran into Rusty Young Man there... :cool:

Rusty Young Man

So, I decide to have a nicer lunch today. I go to the Sheraton crescent ball room. Place is fairly busy at 11am already? Look around and I see some others carrying? Then more, and more, and even more??? By the time lunch is in full swing 500+ people were there enjoying lunch together all armed! God I love AZ. :)

I even ran into Rusty Young Man there... :cool:

No blood to be seen either.:lol:

Had a great time there, good food, and another fantastic year!:)

azcdlfred

So, I decide to have a nicer lunch today. I go to the Sheraton crescent ball room. Place is fairly busy at 11am already? Look around and I see some others carrying? Then more, and more, and even more??? By the time lunch is in full swing 500+ people were there enjoying lunch together all armed! God I love AZ. I even ran into Rusty Young Man there... :cool:
I apologize if I didn't recognize you as you came in. I was standing there collecting all the tickets.

Thanks for coming! Glad you had a good time :dude:

Fred

FreeInAZ

No worries Fred - with so many people there it was amazing that you and the other AZCDL staff kept things running so smoothly. I got a glimpse into your life and it's a very busy one. Every time I thought "hey he got's second now, I'll go say hi..." You were off and running to assist someone with another need. We are lucky to have such tireless leaders in AZCDL.

Thanks to you and all of them for the time and energy you devote to keeping us free here in AZ Fred. I salute you all! :)

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Sorry for the hiatus, again.:( Exams, homework, and experiments not wanting to cooperate, as usual.

OCed at Sam's Club in the rain this weekend with no issues other than one idiotic/immature comment when I was taking a picture of a tequila bottle shaped like some sort of ~2 ft long antique carbine. One of two employees walking by said "you should carry that around in a holster too".:rolleyes: Can't fix stupid.

I then had nothing happen until some kids (real kids in the 5-9 year range) boarded the bus I was on and only two noticed. Their parents didn't seem to care that I was OCing; I'd say that is a good thing, especially since I did get more than a few nods from the father and the other passengers.:) I did have one passenger wonder what I carried, but that was it.

My OC near campus was almost wholly uneventful, even with the rowdy, drunken frat boys (not stereotyping; they had Greek letters and everything) and game going on. The only thing I can say is that I wish the homeless population wouldn't just rush you to ask for money and/or a cigarette, especially given the low light conditions in some areas.:confused:

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Went to local gun shop to look at some 1911's. They had a nice Colt and a R.I.A. that was surprisingly well built IMHO. The slick folks at RIA have eliminated the bushing & belled the barrel to ensure a nice tight lock up with no slop or play in the slide. They also got rid of that STUPID huge roll mark. Back on topic - lots of snow birds in the area, a couple of them gawked a little, but then went about their usual business of being tourists. ;)

Last edited:

Javelina

Oc 360

OC'ed a couple of days ago at Fry's on 43rd Ave & Cactus wearing my purple Baltimore Ravens shirt (Go Ravens!) and khaki shorts, having my Glock 22 in my Blackhawk Serpa holster on my strong (right) side. While walking down a section of the store to get to a certain isle I had 2 teenage kids and their younger brother pass me walking westbound as I was headed eastbound in the store. One of the teens did a complete 360 (I thought his head was going to fly off :eek:) however felt a bit dissapointed as he didn't try to stop and ask why/what/etc I was carrying. One of the main reasons I love to OC is to inform people about why and how I am able to carry. I also make sure to mention how I am going to protect myself and my family at all costs and my firearm allows me to do that should a situation arise.

The next day when I OC'ed at the same location I had the pleasure of checking out with one of the managers and thanked him and Kroger for allowing me to carry in their stores. I mentioned how I use Fry's for everything from paying rent to putting gas in our vehicles and even the toothbrush I use. He thanked me for shopping there and assured me my comment would be sent up to the chain of command. :banana::monkey:cool:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP... One of the teens did a complete 360 (I thought his head was going to fly off :eek:) however felt a bit dissapointed as he didn't try to stop and ask why/what/etc I was carrying. One of the main reasons I love to OC is to inform people about why and how I am able to carry. I also make sure to mention how I am going to protect myself and my family at all costs and my firearm allows me to do that should a situation arise.

The next day when I OC'ed at the same location I had the pleasure of checking out with one of the managers and thanked him and Kroger for allowing me to carry in their stores. I mentioned how I use Fry's for everything from paying rent to putting gas in our vehicles and even the toothbrush I use. He thanked me for shopping there and assured me my comment would be sent up to the chain of command. :banana::monkey:cool:

Funny story with the teens, and it sounds like a positive interaction with the manager.:)
You wouldn't happen to carry "No guns = No $" and "Allowing carry is the reason I've patronized your business" cards, would you?

OT: OCed during Halloween; costume made it CC at some times, so I decided to forego the jacket and OCed. Got thumbs up from some colleagues who've never seen me OC (or knew I actually carried), and nobody freaked out, INCLUDING the few Trick-or-Treat stragglers.
Off topic: the kid dressed like a Saguaro cactus was the most creative, while the most intricate was the U.S. Marine costume (sans pistol and rifle).

mzbk2l

Mesa

I got a call from my snowbird relatives the other day that their landscaper had come by and found a window in an entry door broken and the door hanging open. They asked if I'd go check on the place and secure it, so I went over to Higley & Broadway area to check on it. By the time I arrived, the Mesa PD was already there, along with their crime scene technicians. The officers walked me through the place to check for anything missing, then made sure I'd take responsibility for securing it after they left.

I was wearing a pistol in a Galco leather holster and never even got a comment on it... I almost wanted to ask if they noticed!

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...their landscaper had come by and found a window in an entry door broken and the door hanging open.

^This part sucks...:(

I was wearing a pistol in a Galco leather holster and never even got a comment on it... I almost wanted to ask if they noticed!

^This part is awesome.:cool: Maybe you're being too subtle? How about a holster with LEDs on it?:lol:

At any rate, glad to hear an LAC wasn't harassed for carrying.:)

Last edited: