• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry experience thread.

azcdlfred

I have seen video where multiple officers shout conflicting commands "Freeze! Hands up! Lay down!" at bewildered people.... just saying, sometimes doing what officer fat head says can be a bad/fatal thing.
That's one of the subjects during the lectures dealing with how to handle the aftermath of a defensive shooting in Front Sight's Defensive Pistol class.

Their advice is when you get the "freeze," "drop it," "hands in the air" commands from all those guys shouting at the same time is not move at all. You stand a greater chance of living through the encounter that way. After the initial shout fest one cop usually takes over and starts shouting the controlling commands.

Fred

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...bad cop claims you drew on him & shoots / arrests you) / clerk does not hear cops command & shoots you defending dumb cop...

Good point.

Most often it is the cop's partner(s) that will shoot you. This is what killed Erik Scott after a series of serious mistakes made by all sides. Ultimately, four cops shouted commands, one of which was to drop the weapon (which was holstered). This is the command Erik attempted to comply with (by pulling out the entire holster) when he was shot by three of the four cops, probably the three that had shouted for him to do something else, but since none of them were in charge, apparently Erik couldn't hear them or just picked the wrong command to comply with.

I will never touch my weapon at the request or order of a cop. If it frightens him that much, and he has reason to do so, he can come get it while my hands are very voluntarily glued to my head.

redsilver2

Greetings from sunny, dry Arizona redsilver2!

Don't know what area you're planning to visit, but if you're visiting Tucson, I just might be able to make some time for an OC lunch.

If you're visiting the Phoenix area, I believe FreeInAZ may be able to make your acquaintance. Also, you should visit The Hero Factory there: one of the sandwich girls OCs.:cool:

Regardless of where you'll frequent, I'm sure someone is available to greet a fellow Freedom-loving individual.:)

Hey thanks!!! The wife and I are in Prescott mostly... But Thanks for the OC lunch invite! Your state is far more active then mine on this forum lol :)

Rusty Young Man

OCed around while doing errands yesterday, and had to lock up my sidearm when I volunteered on city property (unsure as to whether this was required or not, but it does seem to be unambiguously CITY property).:confused: Will follow up on what I find.

OCed on my way to Tucson Sam's Club, and I took the bus both to and from. Lot's of stares, but no "panicked" looks.
On the bus, ride from volunteering, one older lady with a slight (?) crazed look to her eyes started rambling about how she wanted to "start packin' too", and then went on to say things that led me to believe she knows little about firearms or why one would carry.

Here are some things, in no particular order: carry so that "no one will mess with me", carrying would help if she got in an argument (mumbled something unintelligible), "I wouldn't kill them, just shoot them in the leg" :facepalm:, "I'm military, you aren't military, so what's your philosophy for carrying?" :double facepalm:

I tried to point out that you don't draw, much less FIRE, unless faced with an imminent threat to your life, but she tried to turn it into "so you would shoot to kill?", to which I repeated that I'd shoot to end an IMMINENT threat to my life. She then started rambling about being around firearms since the age of nine, but not shooting for the past 11 years.:confused:
At any rate, I just tried damage control in case the other passengers wanted to think gun owners had the mindset presented by this lady, who admitted to not even owning a gun!

No issues at Sam's Club or the other bus rides.

Last edited:

redsilver2

The Vacation went great... not a single bad OC experience to report (I really haven't had one to date).
I did feel a bit "less free" when I crossed back into NM though :( lol!

Rusty Young Man

The Vacation went great... not a single bad OC experience to report (I really haven't had one to date).
I did feel a bit "less free" when I crossed back into NM though :( lol!

Good to know your OC here was a non-event, just as it should be.:)
Unfortunately, another forum member visiting AZ was asked to disarm or leave from an establishment. Not at all what he should have experienced.:(
As to feeling "less free", I know the feeling every time I start the week and have to go on campus.:(
But if it makes you want to visit again...;)

Javelina

Had what could be considered my first negative OC Experience Staurday night

Whats going on guys? Glad everyone has been having good OC experiences "as it should be". Had my first somewhat negative experience this last Saturday night at the Walgreens on 19th Ave and Northern. I walked into the store with my wife and sister in-law with no problems at all. When I walked up to the cash register the cashier said "Hey man don't bust a cap in me" and he said it in a semi-loud voice. This frustrated me because what if someone else in the store overheard him and also had a gun and came at me with it thinking I was robbing the place? Or decided to call the police saying something crazy like I had hostages or whatever. I told him "I promise I won't" then was trying to continue checking out when he asked me "Does that thing have a good kick to it?" I told him "It's pretty smooth actually" (I carry a Glock 22 and even though it may not be the smoothest I wanted to just get the convo done with). The guy then told me he was "Waiting to get done with his misdemeanor" so he could start "packin". I told him its a good idea because when the seconds count the police are only minutes away (I now regret this because there is no way I would want this guy near a gun with the way he was acting). Anyways that was my first "negative" OC experience per say. Rest of the night was fine, no issues.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
In line with the other thread I started, I OC'd throughout my entire trip to the Big Sandy Machine Gun Shoot. No restaurant, no gas station, no convenience store, no anybody had a problem with it, as normal throughout AZ; until I got there. The event, run by firearms and freedoms zealots in seemingly all other respects, prohibited open carry by spectators.

There were no restrictions on concealed carry (not even signs!), because, that would actually require effort to enforce. It's easy for lazy anti-carriers to prohibit open carry.

I will never understand the "pro-gun," anti-open-carry crowd.

I wasn't the only one turned away, either. I heard at least three others get turned away at the registration table, just while I was there. So there are a lot of people out there that thought it should be just fine to carry as NORMAL.

Rusty Young Man

Well this is depressing.:(
I had to do damage control, Javalina was accosted by someone who probably isn't mature enough to understand the responsibility (the single heaviest burden) that goes with carrying, and MAC702 was denied entry while OCing to what should have been a reunion of Freedom-loving individuals.
I hate Mondays.:lol:

On a lighter note: my brother has just informed me that after some soul-searching, he has seen the light and wants his first handgun to be a 1911:lol: (just poking fun there, I respect plenty of other platforms).

He's saving up for it, and since he won't be 21 for a bit, he'll probably get a good taste of OC. I can't wait til next Thanksgiving dinner with the family.:D

Javelina

@Rusty: I'm over it, don't worry my feelings are fine lol. But poor Mac man, thats the dumbest thing i've heard with the whole OC being bad but no problem with CC? Just cuz its a hassle to check everyone? I'm glad you have convinced someone to "see the light" though, a 1911 is a pretty solid/popular choice from what I have heard on here, good job man. :cool:

asubae

I don't normally OC, and I have a couple times in the Phoenix metro area. Just twice, but here's my experience:

OC: S&W M&P 9mm FS, Blackhawk SERPA CQC (Level 2 retention) at 9'oclock (I'm a southpaw)
I open carry at my mag cap with no +1 chambered -personal preference, please don't judge.

I was in the heart of downtown Phoenix, and if you've ever been to downtown Phoenix (or just PHX in general) the place is swarming with cops. Can't walk five minutes in any direction without seeing a cruiser. I tend to walk facing oncoming traffic, so most motorists which pass by don't really notice that I'm carrying because my strong side is facing away (again, lefty)

Anyway, there is this great Sushi restaurant I frequented before, not open carrying. The day I was carrying, I walked in and sat down. There was no problem. No signs prohibiting firearms, and it's quite a small place. No one asked me to leave. It was a very pleasant lunch. That was about to change. Anyway, this sushi restaurant is situated in a type of restaurant plaza in the heart of downtown phoenix off of 3rd street. After finishing my sushi, I needed to use the restroom.

This complex has public restrooms. My friend, who is female and CCs (+21 w/o a permit) -has her S&W .38 in her purse opted to wait for me outside. There is a long hallway leading to said restroom. On the way into the restroom, a rather young and disheveled looking homeless man opens the door and is leaving the restroom. As I pass him, I can see in the reflective surface of the bathroom door that he turned around after I pass him, and is staring at my handgun.

It just.. didn't feel right. I opted to ignore it. I then proceeded to enter the stall to conduct my business (#1 only) in the stall closest to the wall..aka the handicap stall. No sooner had I latched the stall when I hear the door of the restroom open again, and I look through the crack in the stall only to see the same homeless person come back inside the restroom. I thought to myself, that's odd.

He then proceeds to come into the stall directly next to mine, and I purposefully wait. He doesn't take off his pants. And there are no sounds of him urinating or using the restroom. This made me quite concerned. I stood there for at least another minute and after not hearing any sounds coming from his stall, I then proceeded to plan my exit so that when I left the bathroom stall, he couldn't ambush me with the door and try and take my handgun.

If anybody knows anything about downtown phoenix, the transient population is not only homeless, but more often than not also mentally unstable. I decided to anticipate his actions, take my chances and just remove myself from that uncomfortable situation. I am a rather calm and level-headed person. I am not antagonized easily. I just found it quite disconcerting that he would leave the restroom, I see him eye my handgun behind my back as I walk in and then he proceeds back into the bathroom and chooses the stall next to mine (there are 4 not to mention urinals) and doesn't even use the restroom. What I notice, especially while open carrying is my situational awareness is heightened ten-fold. To reiterate, I am not one of those who are itching for action, and I don't want to invite these situations. In the end, no matter how uncomfortable I was I just exited -not saying a word to him or even touching my handgun. I just left and on the way out of the stall made sure my strong side was protected.

What do you guys think of the situation?

Other than this quite awkward experience, what I found while open carrying seemed just to be a lot of looks. It doesn't seem like a worried look, moreso a curious look. As in, "why is that young man carrying a weapon?" But I more often than not have my college friends around, girls and guys and I'm the only one who really enjoys guns...so they know me and respect my decision to exercise my right to carry (off-campus) and after the first time they ever saw me do it, treat me like my handgun isn't even there. We just talk about grades and parties and who's having sex with who, guns don't even fit into the conversation.

People get used to it. What people are not used to I suppose is me being young, a college student, and openly carrying a gun. I dress professionally, and act normally. I don't think it's a big hysteric deal as most people make it out to be. What, someone who is openly carrying their firearm, holstered, wearing a polo shirt and ironed khakis is going to sit down and eat sushi with his classmates then proceed to disturb the peace? I just don't see it.

Like I said, after awhile, people can get used to it and once they just get past the fear of "WHOA, A GUN!" it really isn't that big of a deal. You often find that the anti-gun argument against those who lawfully own and operate them "WHAT DO YOU NEED AN ASSAULT RIFLE FOR? WHAT DO YOU NEED GUNS FOR? DON'T YOU KNOW WE HAVE COPS. YOU'RE SO PARANOID AND CRAZY. I'M SCARED OF PEOPLE OF LIKE YOU. IF IT WEREN'T FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU SOCIETY WOULD BE SAFER."

So I don't need my guns because I'm just paranoid and crazy, yet the people who make that argument always fail to realize that their argument is based entirely on their own paranoia. Interesting. Are their feelings about me being a lawful citizen enough to trump my Constitutional right to carry my handgun? Don't think so.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

I don't normally OC, and I have a couple times in the Phoenix metro area. Just twice, but here's my experience:

OC: S&W M&P 9mm FS, Blackhawk SERPA CQC (Level 2 retention) at 9'oclock (I'm a southpaw)
I open carry at my mag cap with no +1 chambered -personal preference, please don't judge.

I was in the heart of downtown Phoenix, and if you've ever been to downtown Phoenix (or just PHX in general) the place is swarming with cops. Can't walk five minutes in any direction without seeing a cruiser. I tend to walk facing oncoming traffic, so most motorists which pass by don't really notice that I'm carrying because my strong side is facing away (again, lefty)

Anyway, there is this great Sushi restaurant I frequented before, not open carrying. The day I was carrying, I walked in and sat down. There was no problem. No signs prohibiting firearms, and it's quite a small place. No one asked me to leave. It was a very pleasant lunch. That was about to change. Anyway, this sushi restaurant is situated in a type of restaurant plaza in the heart of downtown phoenix off of 3rd street. After finishing my sushi, I needed to use the restroom.

This complex has public restrooms. My friend, who is female and CCs (+21 w/o a permit) -has her S&W .38 in her purse opted to wait for me outside. There is a long hallway leading to said restroom. On the way into the restroom, a rather young and disheveled looking homeless man opens the door and is leaving the restroom. As I pass him, I can see in the reflective surface of the bathroom door that he turned around after I pass him, and is staring at my handgun.

It just.. didn't feel right. I opted to ignore it. I then proceeded to enter the stall to conduct my business (#1 only) in the stall closest to the wall..aka the handicap stall. No sooner had I latched the stall when I hear the door of the restroom open again, and I look through the crack in the stall only to see the same homeless person come back inside the restroom. I thought to myself, that's odd.

He then proceeds to come into the stall directly next to mine, and I purposefully wait. He doesn't take off his pants. And there are no sounds of him urinating or using the restroom. This made me quite concerned. I stood there for at least another minute and after not hearing any sounds coming from his stall, I then proceeded to plan my exit so that when I left the bathroom stall, he couldn't ambush me with the door and try and take my handgun.

If anybody knows anything about downtown phoenix, the transient population is not only homeless, but more often than not also mentally unstable. I decided to anticipate his actions, take my chances and just remove myself from that uncomfortable situation. I am a rather calm and level-headed person. I am not antagonized easily. I just found it quite disconcerting that he would leave the restroom, I see him eye my handgun behind my back as I walk in and then he proceeds back into the bathroom and chooses the stall next to mine (there are 4 not to mention urinals) and doesn't even use the restroom. What I notice, especially while open carrying is my situational awareness is heightened ten-fold. To reiterate, I am not one of those who are itching for action, and I don't want to invite these situations. In the end, no matter how uncomfortable I was I just exited -not saying a word to him or even touching my handgun. I just left and on the way out of the stall made sure my strong side was protected.

What do you guys think of the situation?

Other than this quite awkward experience, what I found while open carrying seemed just to be a lot of looks. It doesn't seem like a worried look, moreso a curious look. As in, "why is that young man carrying a weapon?" But I more often than not have my college friends around, girls and guys and I'm the only one who really enjoys guns...so they know me and respect my decision to exercise my right to carry (off-campus) and after the first time they ever saw me do it, treat me like my handgun isn't even there. We just talk about grades and parties and who's having sex with who, guns don't even fit into the conversation.

People get used to it. What people are not used to I suppose is me being young, a college student, and openly carrying a gun. I dress professionally, and act normally. I don't think it's a big hysteric deal as most people make it out to be. What, someone who is openly carrying their firearm, holstered, wearing a polo shirt and ironed khakis is going to sit down and eat sushi with his classmates then proceed to disturb the peace? I just don't see it.

Like I said, after awhile, people can get used to it and once they just get past the fear of "WHOA, A GUN!" it really isn't that big of a deal. You often find that the anti-gun argument against those who lawfully own and operate them "WHAT DO YOU NEED AN ASSAULT RIFLE FOR? WHAT DO YOU NEED GUNS FOR? DON'T YOU KNOW WE HAVE COPS. YOU'RE SO PARANOID AND CRAZY. I'M SCARED OF PEOPLE OF LIKE YOU. IF IT WEREN'T FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU SOCIETY WOULD BE SAFER."

So I don't need my guns because I'm just paranoid and crazy, yet the people who make that argument always fail to realize that their argument is based entirely on their own paranoia. Interesting. Are their feelings about me being a lawful citizen enough to trump my Constitutional right to carry my handgun? Don't think so.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum, and greetings from sunny, dry Tucson asubae!:)

Sometimes your instincts will tell you something you would only realize in hindsight. Between instincts and situational awareness, you should be able to avoid most dangerous situations.

It seems like you handled the situation well: you tried to avoid the situation in the first place, did your best to eliminate the other possibilities, and then sought out the quickest and most peaceful solution.

Other than the fact that you didn't mention carrying some kind of recording device, it seems like all you need are some more OC outings to become more comfortable with it. Might be enough of an excuse to have an OC lunch this summer.:D

@Javelina: sometimes the anti-gun propaganda rubs off on otherwise Freedom-loving individuals. The great thing about OCDO is that someone is likely to call you out on it before you venture too far towards the Dark Side (antis).:lol:

Rusty Young Man

OCed at Sam's Club in Tucson and at Miller's Surplus (6th and 6th) with no issues.
Only got a few looks of curiosity at Sam's (no evil eye that I could tell), and one elderly couple that gave me a big smile when we were in the checkout line.

Also, bananas are incredibly cheap there right now, so you can buy a bunch, peel them, and freeze them for chocolate-covered treats later when the temperature goes up. Hope I'm not the only one that does this. :D

Miller's was fun to peruse, as always, and it seems the well-wishing paid off and not a single one of the staff there is in crutches or a leg brace anymore. :)

Javelina

Anyone else get the OC App from 2A Friendly? It's a pretty cool App but doesn't have any ratings on places yet (at least not in the Phoenix area), I think this is because nobody really has the app yet to leave ratings. But anyways I think it would be an awesome tool in order to give people a heads up on negative OC businesses that way we know what situation a particular business may bring. On topic though I've been OC as much as possible outside of work. It is funny working in the Security Industry and not having my firearm on me lol well we shall see what fun adventures happen next. Till then keep on keeping on! :cool:

FreeInAZ

@At Javelina - I have always said unarmed security is simply a walking bullet stop. Places that request this are fence sitters who want to "appear" secure, yet don't give the people they ask to secure their safety the tools to do so. Yelling stop or I'll call 911 may work on some criminals, others will respond with a lead injection for those drawing attention to their crimes. :eek:

Bless you for doing a dangerous job for knuckleheads.

On topic OC'd for lunch - nobody noticed or cared...as it should be. :cool:

Javelina

@FreeInAZ Luckily I don't really secure anything crazy. I work for a company that sells advertisements on their website to business owners. I've been told that I will deal with angry owners at some point but have not yet (knocking on wood as we speak). Anyone who has asked me including my Supervisor knows that if an Active Shooter comes in or anything like that I'm gonna let everyone know to get out but if they refuse to its up to them cuz I'll be running for the doors. Glad your OC experiences seem to always be good, I need to carry more throughout the week but never really go out anywhere. Stay safe everyone!

Rusty Young Man

@Javelina: hopefully your employer thinks about what you said and understands he is providing only PERCEIVED security.
One Fry's near me has one cashier guy who seems to be into guns for carry. Unfortunately, Fry's has a policy disarming its employees (I imagine this is the reason I get gawked at by their UNARMED security guys; that or my curves:lol:).

OT: OCed around the University area this past Saturday. Besides a few hoots from the bar crowd (which MAY have been directed at the ladies who walked past me;)), nobody said anything. The cashier in CVS looked at it and didn't so much as skip a beat, and one guy in line only asked about my long hair (1 year's growth).

Absolutely NO ISSUES. As it should be. :banana:

Last edited:

Javelina

@Rusty: I wish I could tell my employer but the only armed security my company hires are ODO's or Off Duty Officers. Along with that the work environment I am in does not like the idea of armed security walking around which I almost see as reasonable giving the office environment we have around here. Grant it it would be nice to be armed in case an Active Shooter did in fact come in and start letting rounds off. Its all good though: you win some you lose some. I'm the new guy with this company only being on staff for about 3 months now and enjoy my job and am just doing whatever needs to be done. I OC every chance I get outside of work :cool:

Rusty Young Man

Figured I'd type this up while I take a break from chewing away at a barrel obstruction (stupid wooden dowel:banghead:).

OCed yesterday and today while running... nothing.:p It was downtime for me yesterday, when I splurged a little time and money-wise by going to the range with a friend who just recently got into guns and wants to buy a handgun for his 21st.:cool:
A great time at Three Points with the 1911 and SKS, and I didn't have to use the expensive brass-cased 7.62X39 (like ranges in the valley are limited to). Except for the weird cricket/beetle things climbing on us, it was some good practice time (that I desperately needed; you could say I was rusty:p:lol:).

OCed at Mama's Hawaiian BBQ (great tasting burger was probably more than I should've eaten in one go, but why not?), Eegee's (great, inexpensive way to get a portion of fruit and beat the heat), and at the Chase ATM; no issues, but a few curious looks.

Today I OCed at ACE hardware and got a few scared looks from hippie-type customers who I will assume are transplants. Once inside, I asked one male employee from my first time in there about where to find some brass rods. He didn't act alarmed like he and the others did the first time (see post #116 on page 5 of this thread http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?111377-Open-Carry-experience-thread/page5).

So no issues, as it should be. Well, except for the barrel.:cuss: