• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry experience thread.

FreeInAZ

Met up with Rusty Young Man today at the Hero Factory in downtown Phoenix. No issues and good sandwiches. Afterwards we decided to take a cruise around town on the light rail system. Other than some very strange characters checking up to make sure Rusty was not carrying a, how should I put this... a "Kitty Kat" gun, all went well. :p As a wise man once told me: "every village has their idiot, the trick being to identify that person and avoid them!" In those jokers case, there are 3 villages happy they are missing at the moment. :monkey

Rusty Young Man

Met up with Rusty Young Man today at the Hero Factory in downtown Phoenix. No issues and good sandwiches. Afterwards we decided to take a cruise around town on the light rail system. Other than some very strange characters checking up to make sure Rusty was not carrying a, how should I put this... a "Kitty Kat" gun, all went well. :p As a wise man once told me: "every village has their idiot, the trick being to identify that person and avoid them!" In those jokers case, there are 3 villages happy they are missing at the moment. :monkey

Not only that, but they seemed to be of the type that carry the latest pistols.... on COD or Modern Warfare.:rolleyes:
Regardless, I imagine a number of people will now be traumatized from seeing armed LACs carrying ultra-vicious holstered sidearms that never attacked anyone.:lol:

Great time, even with the heat (which is only going to get worse).:cool: Look forward to the next meet-up, and hopefully more members can join us.

Rusty Young Man

Will definitely be interested in meeting you guys when you are next in Phoenix.

You should check under the "Arizona Events" sub-forum. There is one current thread for summer meetups:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?121964-Summer-meetups-2014

Hope you can make it, and feel free to offer suggestions for a meetup date and/or location.:)
I may be in Tucson most of the year (attend the U of A), but I know of some members who reside in the Phoenix area.

Last edited:

Jesse Packard

moving to arizona

hello yall ill be moving to az soon and was wanting to learn the open carry laws from well respected people who know and or live there. so if yall can help me out with my question please let me know:question: :banana::banana:

Rusty Young Man

hello yall ill be moving to az soon and was wanting to learn the open carry laws from well respected people who know and or live there. so if yall can help me out with my question please let me know:question: :banana::banana:

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Tucson Jesse Packard!:)

You can find the answer to most of your questions in this thread (started by FreeInAZ as a primer on AZ carry laws):
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?117249-Links-to-AZ-gun-law-info

Hope it helps. Anything else or more specific can likely be answered thoroughly by various members here.
Don't know what area of the state you'll be settling down in, but I can say that most places south of Payson and lower in elevation than Tucson seem to be get warm in the summer.
Remember to do as cacti do (drink lots of water when available:p).

Last edited:

azcdlfred

hello yall ill be moving to az soon and was wanting to learn the open carry laws from well respected people who know and or live there. so if yall can help me out with my question please let me know
In a nutshell, if you are 21 or older, you can open carry anywhere EXCEPT public (state and local government) facilities or businesses that display a "no firearms (or weapons)" sign. Signage does not have to be accurate or even reference the correct statute.

You can never carry openly where booze is served for consumption. You may carry discreetly where booze is served if they don't post a no firearms sign and you have a CCW permit.

As an aside, if you are 21 or older you do not need a CCW permit to carry discreetly EXCEPT where booze is sold for consumption
(Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits)

Fred
PS - Join AzCDL

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Cliff note version follows. Assuming you are 21 or older - As they say assume makes a a$$ out of u & me.. doh! YET another edit - I read Jesse's profile, should have done that first. Being under 21 you must OPEN carry and avoid like the mumps: any place that serves alcohol for consumption on site while OCing. Note - also be very aware of Indian Reservation Land and how those laws may effect you.

The Bad:

No carry with or without a permit in posted places including municipal buildings.

If not posted, one who has a permit/AZ CCW may only carry discreetly in places that serve booze by the glass/container, and one must not consume alcohol either there. Think Chain Restaurants, a Steak House, etc...

The Good:

AZ not only has gun preemption, it also has knife preemption and CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY. This means all non prohibited individuals may carry OPENLY, discreetly or a mixture of both in a car, circle k, 7-11, Walmart, Sams, Arby's, etc... (anyplace not posted) without needing a CCW or other type of concealed carry permit from another state. I often carry a automatic or assisted opening knife in may day to day errands. Something that is a no no in most states.

Check out Alan Korwin's book - it is a must have for new folks (and old) to AZ and he provides free updates. :cool:

http://www.gunlaws.com/agog.htm

PS - a great site for AZ training info & resources.

http://www.trainmeaz.com/

PPS - Man don't get old...memory leaks like a sieve! Check out AzCDL they are the group most responsible for all the 2A rights we enjoy here in AZ! Becoming a member helps retain a fore mentioned rights :)

http://www.azcdl.org/html/accomplishments.html

PPPS - while I was digging up the links and not paying attention - Fred beat me to it! Well done Sir. +1

Last edited:

Jesse Packard

re thanks

yall are amazing when i come down ill be 21 and also i was think of bringing my 1911-a1 with me. How readily available is .45 cal ammo? im glad i have been apart of this site.

FreeInAZ

yall are amazing when i come down ill be 21 and also i was think of bringing my 1911-a1 with me. How readily available is .45 cal ammo? im glad i have been apart of this site.

Jesse - my local Walmart is well stocked on 45acp. You'll pay a little more though - a good deal in today's market is 39 cents around. :(

Scottsdale Gun Club and some other places in the PHX metro area are selling 1,000 round cases.

On topic - OC'd yesterday, no issues.

Rusty Young Man

Jesse - my local Walmart is well stocked on 45acp. You'll pay a little more though - a good deal in today's market is 39 cents around. :(

Scottsdale Gun Club and some other places in the PHX metro area are selling 1,000 round cases.

On topic - OC'd yesterday, no issues.

If it's .45 ACP you're looking into, I'm in for a group buy. More bang for our buck.:cool:
The place I usually buy from is J&G Sales in Flagstaff, which currently sells 1,000 round cases of Sellier&Bellot hardball for $399 (plus S&H). But buying even more local appeals to me greatly.:)

OT: OCed last Sunday at Sam's Club in Chandler, and a Fry's in Tempe. Then OCed on the I-10 and in a McDonald's/convenience store/gas station enroute to Tucson. No issues, and only a few second glances.:)
Sorry for taking so long to post a non-event.:p

opivy79

Thanks for everyone posting their experiences. I seriously read through them all and loved them.

First Open Carry yesterday. CZ P-09 in an OWB (19+1 chambered). East Tucson with the wife in tow. 22nd/Harrison Game Stop ( no one noticed/cared except for a couple of kids who were in awe.) Then an hour in Target with the wife. I have seen a Unicorn there before and no one said or seemed to notice. Then on to another hour at Home Depot Broadway/Pantano. Then a quick trip by the comic shop and then on to the Costco by the I-10. From my reading I know that they are not posted but have a corporate policy so I looked over at my wife and said I was going to have to take off my gun and put it in the trunk. She looked me in the eye and told me it would be OK. I did so but had to pester the door guy about it to verify the infringement.

All in all it was an uneventful (as it should.)

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Thanks for everyone posting their experiences. I seriously read through them all and loved them.

First Open Carry yesterday. CZ P-09 in an OWB (19+1 chambered). East Tucson with the wife in tow. 22nd/Harrison Game Stop ( no one noticed/cared except for a couple of kids who were in awe.) Then an hour in Target with the wife. I have seen a Unicorn there before and no one said or seemed to notice. Then on to another hour at Home Depot Broadway/Pantano. Then a quick trip by the comic shop and then on to the Costco by the I-10. From my reading I know that they are not posted but have a corporate policy so I looked over at my wife and said I was going to have to take off my gun and put it in the trunk. She looked me in the eye and told me it would be OK. I did so but had to pester the door guy about it to verify the infringement.

All in all it was an uneventful (as it should.)

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from the sunny, dry center(west-ish?:confused:) of Tucson opivy79!:)
Glad to hear of such an uneventful first OC for you and yours. Was the missus carrying as well?
The posting of non-events is to show newcomers that OC is in fact quite uneventful here in AZ. It doesn't always hold, but usually people won't even make a comment about you carrying, much less make it an issue.:)
If you aren't yet a member, I'd like to recommend AzCDL, which has been fighting for individual Rights (not just the RKBA) in the legislative trenches and making OC boring here in AZ.:lol:
http://AZCDL.org

I used to frequent that particular wholesale store before I knew of their stance; turns out they don't want lawfully-carried firearms in their parking lots either:rolleyes:. I prefer Sam's anyways because they are also much more convenient for me down here in Tucson.

I OCed this weekend without issue as well. I got some cold, wet (red-flavored?) ice to fight the hot, dry heat that will just get worse over the next three months... Love Arizona.:D

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

OC'd recently into a public Library. Walked up to the counter and asked the gal for a locker key per the directions of the nearly invisible window decal sign at foot/calf level, that has replaced the huge no weapons pictogram that used to be right at chest level near the doors. :cool: She says "A what?" So I repeat myself and she then notices my pistol and says "Oh a GUN locker key!" I simply smile and say yes, she hands it to me & I proceed to secure my defensive items. The library is of course packed with soccer moms looking for books and movies for their little ones home for summer vacation, just as I was. So a few folks nearby watched me briefly as I walked with my little one to the "Scooby-Doo" section. Upon checking out, I retrieved my items and an old bitty standing near us with her husband gawked, as I extracted my things from the locker - "Oh my, Oh Dear, My Goodness!" Her Husband simply turned his back to us, as if to signal to me "Hey leave me out of this.." I just smiled and nodded and said excuse us Mam, and we walked out. My first experience with a hoplophobic person.:uhoh: Oh well, hope she didn't 'stroke out' completely after we left, her jaw was still agape and she was yammering at her red faced husband as we walked away. :rolleyes:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I retrieved my items and an old bitty standing near us with her husband gawked, as I extracted my things from the locker - "Oh my, Oh Dear, My Goodness!" Her Husband simply turned his back to us, as if to signal to me "Hey leave me out of this.." I just smiled and nodded and said excuse us Mam, and we walked out. My first experience with a hoplophobic person.:uhoh: Oh well, hope she didn't 'stroke out' completely after we left, her jaw was still agape and she was yammering at her red faced husband as we walked away. :rolleyes:

Poor guy.:p
Glad you didn't experience any troubles, and it seems you had a good experience overall. Except (especially?:p) for the hoplophobe.

OCed yesterday at Home Depot (store #414 on Oracle and Wetmore) and Walmart (store #1325 on Wetmore and 1st Ave) in Tucson. No issues at Walmart, but I did get a compliment (and a possible security detail) at Home Depot, which I figured I'd patronize for following state law.
Only one young HD employee (looked like he still could have been in high school) started following me. Maybe he wanted a better look at my 1911 or maybe he just wanted to tell me about his Herbalife gig (something he did as I was leaving later). The cashier that rang me up was a nice grey-haired man that casually mentioned "this is probably a good neighborhood for you to carry that firearm", to which I replied "I guess so, but you never know when you might need it and I'm not a betting man." I got the impression he didn't really have any qualms about others carrying.
The kid seemed to think I must have been "special forces" because I "know a lot about firearms"; All I did was carry and ask about bore brushes.:confused: Regardless, I let him know I am an average citizen who has decided to take responsibility for his own safety.

The bus ride back home was a completely different story: an older, African-American man seemed to take interest in my OC, but his words were hard to make out most of the time (slurred or muttered). I'm just glad I was able to meet that 62 year-old Texas Army Ranger who fought not only in Iraq and Afghanistan, but Korea and World War II:rolleyes:; they just don't make them like they used to.:lol:

Seems he somehow got the idea that I was an Army Ranger (I never try to imply I am military or former military) and was telling the whole bus that they needn't worry because "we're military, and we know how to use 'em. No need to worry, we were taught and know how to kill somebody good.":uhoh:

After he started singing and complementing the driver for "how he operates that machine", I guess people must have realized he wasn't exactly being on the level :)rolleyes:). Still, for a few moments I thought I'd be a part of a two MWAG call.:uhoh:

Rusty Young Man

Got some positive comments...

Got some positive comments about my OC... and a compliment on my hair.:lol:
OCed in the east part of Tucson yesterday (Saturday) while volunteering in the morning-ish time and had no scares. People seemed curious about what I was carrying, and two actually asked what I was carrying (1911, as usual).
Sadly, one of the two doesn't carry himself because "it'd be too much of a hassle".
facepalm.gif

I then had a conversation with an older lady who says her husband used to work for the sheriff, and wondered why I carried. I initially though she was an anti by the way she worded her first two questions, but it seems she is fine with CCers and at least accepts OCers; we agreed that "No-C" is the worst of the three carry options (for pistols, seeing as LGOC was not discussed and could therefore not be counted in the conversation).

She also mentioned that having a CCW would cause any subsequent police stop to be "different" since the LEO in question would be informed of you being armed and "would already have an attitude about you" before the actual encounter began.
She was also the one who complimented me on my long, ALMOST shoulder-length, hair.:)

No issues to report.:)

Last edited:

birdus

Sure wish their were more people exercising their rights openly, instead of hiding them. I get it, it's a choice, but if no one knows you support the bill of rights / 2A, then some in power might mistake that you won't care if they take them away. Rights are like muscles, left unused they are easily lost. Food for thought I hope.

+1

Phoenix David

Well while I was not OC'ing I stopped at Walgreen on my way home from the gym and there was this 20 something dirty looking guy appendix carrying a Glock with no holster, well that raised my alert level from its standard Yellow to Orange. IMO if you look like a dirt bag you are a dirt bag, first impressions are a bitch.