• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry experience thread.

Rusty Young Man

Rusty,

Please allow this foreigner (a Coloradan) to horn-in here, if you will...;-)

I had 2 similar "OC non-encounters" with LEOs recently here in Colorado:

SNIP...
Sorry for using AZ bandwidth here for a "non-encounter OC-ing report" from CO...I'm leaving now!

[BTW: In the Colorado sub-forum, we don't have an "Open Carry Experience Thread" like you do here for AZ, so I had to use yours ;-) ]

Happy OC-ing...

Cloudcroft,
Glad to hear you've also had non-encounters with LEOs.
In regards to Texas, I think we'll have to keep an eye on what gets proposed (and I'll leave it at that in this thread;)).

As to not having an "Open Carry Experience Thread" in the Colorado sub-forum, you should go ahead and start it to get the ball rolling. Just remember, "if you post it, they will come".:D

P.S. Sounds like you're going to graduate soon? Hope you picked a degree that will get/keep you employed (and preferably, doing something you LIKE rather then just for the $$). Best wishes in your future endeavors/career...

As Mr. Spock would say, "Live Long [partly due to carrying] and Prosper." ;-)

I chose a degree in an area that should be experiencing nothing but growth for the next 50 years, so I'm set in that regard. It is rather interesting and diverse work, but it may not be my passion.:( Thanks for the well-wishes. And to quote Obi-Wan, "May the Force [or whatever pet name you've given your sidearm:cool:] be with you."

OT: I forgot to mention the non-events from last Sunday: not so much as a stare at Fry's, and no issues at Target with my father (he was buying something, and we were running errands); not even with the cop car that passed by my strong side on the way in.

Today: OCed on the way to the gun show here in Tucson without issue (though some people did steal second glances, seeing as I had to stand near the front due to no seats being available). No problem at the gun show (even if some people didn't seem to care much for muzzle control:(), and I had a great time tabling with the AZCDL folks.:)
It was torture to not be able to spend any money on all the cool toys (one guy walked out with an Enfield he only payed $205 for:shocker:), but priorities are priorities.:(:lol:

Last edited:

asubae

Open carried at the following locations today:
--

Bass Pro,
1133 N Dobson Rd, Mesa, AZ 85201

The Home Depot
7333 W McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85035

--
Zero problems.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...
Zero problems.

Glad to hear you're having uneventful carry, asubae.:)
Also, glad to hear about AZCDL's numbers; we'll need the numbers come fall.:uhoh:

OT: OCed at Sam's Club here in Tucson. No problems, only one or two stink eyes, and TPD didn't care.
The only fun part was the looks from little kids while their parents remained completely oblivious to my super scary :)rolleyes:) sidearm.

Last edited:

asubae

Glad to hear you're having uneventful carry, asubae.:)
Also, glad to hear about AZCDL's numbers; we'll need the numbers come fall.:uhoh:

Thank very much!

In addition, OCd at the following location today:

--
GOLDFIELD GHOST TOWN
4650 N. Mammoth Mine Road, Goldfield, AZ 85119
(480) 983-0333
--

It's a tourist trap kind of area out near Apache Junction off the Apache trail. Myself and a couple buddies thought we'd carry and play tourist for a day. Virtually zero problems, and most of the store owners in the ghost town were real friendly. Got one or two curious looks, and I can honestly say I hear some of the weirdest comments from other people when they see a firearm.

There was some lady who was walking out of the restaurant in the area talking to her child about "guys with guns" and then she turned the corner, saw us and made a comment somewhere along the lines of: "There. See that? (Pointing to my friend's glock) Mommy knows how to use that I'm a damn good shot with it too, so you'd better behave yourself."

Mind you this is to her daughter who couldn't have been older than 6 or 7. I really wonder what goes through peoples minds sometimes but when people make comments about you carrying a firearm, 8/10 it comes out very oddly. Not sure how to take it.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I really wonder what goes through peoples minds sometimes but when people make comments about you carrying a firearm, 8/10 it comes out very oddly. Not sure how to take it.

I know what you mean; some folks seem to think it funny to imply we're going to start shooting everyone (or rob an armored vehicle
facepalm.gif
) or that we use our guns to reason.:confused:

OT: OCed at Sam's Club when I went to change two shirts (didn't fit as well as I'd hoped; IT WAS THE SLEEVES:rolleyes:). Got a compliment for my gun cap from one of the cashiers; turns out he and a coworker are into guns, and he is thinking about getting one himself. We spoke a bit about NFA law and 1911s came up when he mentioned his friend had a few, so I turned so he could see mine:D.
I was about to mention OCDO, but the supervisor needed him elsewhere.:( This was a ~20-25 year old, mind you, so the truth is getting out there DESPITE the efforts of MAD moms and their sugar daddy.

Also had a nice encounter on the bus with a mentally disable man, his sister, and their pitbull. We spoke about why I carry, why protection is nice to have, and about how intuitive dogs are.

No issues.:)

Javelina

OC'ed into Chipotle Sunday 7/20

OC'ed in Chipotle at 59th Ave and Northern this Sunday. It was crazy the amount of looks I was getting from other customers (Little do they know I don't take request ;) ). No employee said anything and my family already knows I will carry wherever possible. I may have got crazy looks from other customers and would have been glad to speak with any of them if they had been willing to debate like grown adults. I can tell you from what I saw though, I was the most prepared person in the restaurant should an issue regarding life and death occur.

FreeInAZ

OC'ed in Chipotle at 59th Ave and Northern this Sunday. It was crazy the amount of looks I was getting from other customers (Little do they know I don't take request ;) ). No employee said anything and my family already knows I will carry wherever possible. I may have got crazy looks from other customers and would have been glad to speak with any of them if they had been willing to debate like grown adults. I can tell you from what I saw though, I was the most prepared person in the restaurant should an issue regarding life and death occur.

Good to hear! I know these places that "request" really don't want my business, so I, and my family, do our very best to oblige them. :monkey:
Nothing they have for sale is worth the risk they want to put us in IMHO. Plenty of good Mexican food places that don't ask me to be a helpless "please hold for the next 911 operator" victim. :eek: YMMV.

OT - OCed for lunch today, no issues but it was only pizza to go for the kids. For the most part, people just don't notice. For example -> My mail carrier did ask me if everything was ok? I told her "sure, why do you ask?" She just looked down at my pistol. I told her with a polite voice & smile: "you've seen me dozens of times, I have been OC on all but one occasion, when I was all dressed up for a formal outing, so yes everything was ok, then added - just as you carry dog spray for four legged predators, I carry sidearms for the two legged and four legged critters that prowl in our world, with a wink. ;)" She chuckled, and that was that. The chuckle may have been due to the arsenal she *probably had* in her vehicle, and she probably considers me a "light weight" .

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Bhl3yjzsQ[/video]

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was in the Phoenix area over the weekend, openly carrying throughout the great state of AZ. The Hilton Garden Inn had no problems with it whatsoever, though it felt naked to leave the gun in the room to go downstairs to the bar. We don't have to do that in NV. Openly carried in Ruby Tuesday's, Denny's, the South Mountain Park, and several fuel stations. Also walked around the London Bridge in Lake Havasu and dined at Del Taco without causing alarm.

I was in town for the Motley Crue concert (WOW, great show!) and while I did not carry to the concert pavilion, it would have been easy to conceal as there were no detectors being used, so the bad guys would not have had any issues.

Last edited:

Phoenix David

Be very careful as some Chipotle's serve alcohol which if they do OC is illegal under Arizona law.

Javelina

I'm not aware of any Chipotle's that do not serve liquor. And, they have a corporate "no gun" policy. Odds are they had a sign at the door.

Fred

I saw no sign on the door and they do sell alcohol but it is not for consumption on the premises therefore making it legal to OC. I would have gone elsewhere but it is what my side of the family picked for lunch. I am just glad it was an uneventful thing, it would have been nice to debate with someone who could have an adult debate. There are 3 things I enjoy doing most while open carrying.

1. Protecting my family, myself and those around me (In that order)
2. Informing those I come into contact with of the awesome gun laws we have here in the great State of Arizona :cool:
3. Debating gun issues and laws in an adult manner, hopefully opening up the eyes of those who are against open carry or armed citizens in general ;)

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Javelina,

Please note you must capitalize both "the" and "great" also, as in "The Great State of Arizona."

Like we do it up in these-here rural hills (as Bloomberg labeled us hicks) in "The Great State of Colorado."

;-)

P.S. For your viewing pleasure -- and to add 'visual interest' to a dull post -- please see attached picture (just taken) of "rural" Colorado (NE Colorado Springs to be exact, from my 3rd-floor apt's balcony)...complete with rain storm coming in from them-there "hills" (the Front Range) presently to the West (that's just how we rural/country folk talk out here in the bayou...oops, that's where I USED to live in TX, I mean these-here hills in CO).

Sorry no paved roads are visible, just our paved parking lot. However, the US Air Force Academy is out there to the left in the distant foothills -- I believe they have paved roads to & from the Academy...or else I can't imagine what they've been doing with their allotted Federal dollars! ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_3653.jpg
    IMG_3653.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

cds0699

I decided to do something I normally wouldn't do. On the 4th of July my girlfriends son wanted to go to the park, and I was open carrying at the time. I decided to take him and go to the park and not conceal it up. To my surprise I didn't get one single funny look, and 0 comments.... The way it should be. I'm pleasantly surprised because there were many kids there and I was even playing with them (safely of course, I use a good holster system).

Javelina

Javelina,

Please note you must capitalize both "the" and "great" also, as in "The Great State of Arizona."

Yes sir! How could I have forgotten, thank you for recognizing The Great State of Arizona :cool: +1

@Fred: I know that sign very well, it is a sign I hate with a passion being only 19 therefore unable to get my CCW so I may conceal and keep my family safe in such establishments :mad:

asubae

---
1. Mill Ave, Tempe (up and down)

Churchill’s Fine Cigars
640 S Mill Avenue
Tempe, AZ 85281

2. Tempe "Beach" Park -lol @ the beach part.

3. Metro Light Rail

4. On the public sidewalk on Van Buren next ASU Mercado Downtown Phoenix. As far as I'm concerned ASU would be pretty balsy to try and prohibit me from carrying or charge me with a crime because how is it my fault as a carrier that they continuously choose to build their campus as close as possible to a public street? As a young ASU student myself, I think it's important more students get behind carry on campus or at least aren't so sensitive to carry near campus.

Funny enough I was walking at night open carrying in the same location. And ahead of me on some street signs I saw red and blue lights. Never thought I was in trouble or anything. Just kept walking, didn't even turn back. Turns out, a hummer was pulled over about 30 feet in front of me and a PHX PD police cruiser pulled it over. I was right next to the ASU campus on the public sidewalk, and the officer didn't even bat an eye at me as I passed his traffic stop while open carrying. Granted, he did wait for me to pass his cruiser before he proceeded to exit the vehicle :p but this is understandable because for them, police safety is #1.

Here's a picture to better describe this.

---

As usual, plenty of looks (esp. from the "young," "hip," and "progressive" crowd :rolleyes:) but no issues/contact with security or Law Enforcement whatsoever. Happy carrying folks! :)

Rusty Young Man

1,000th post and my first MWAG call on campus

My 1,000th post on OCDO!:D
Also, I prompted a MWAG call for OC on campus (U of A main camous here in Tucson).:shocker: But first, I'd like to address the previous post.:p

SNIP...
4. On the public sidewalk on Van Buren next ASU Mercado Downtown Phoenix. As far as I'm concerned ASU would be pretty balsy to try and prohibit me from carrying or charge me with a crime because how is it my fault as a carrier that they continuously choose to build their campus as close as possible to a public street? As a young ASU student myself, I think it's important more students get behind carry on campus or at least aren't so sensitive to carry near campus.

Glad to hear you're having uneventful OC, but (and I'm probably preaching to the choir here;)) tread lightly around campus boundaries.
As a citizen you're unlikely to get slammed with carrying on campus property (provided you're only walking through), but as a student you're subject to "disciplinary actions" by the Arizona Board of Tyrants, err, Regents (ABOR, fittingly:p). I'm guessing this would include suspension and possibly expulsion, all as a means of enforcing their opinion under the guise of "student safety".

As usual, plenty of looks (esp. from the "young," "hip," and "progressive" crowd :rolleyes:) but no issues/contact with security or Law Enforcement whatsoever. Happy carrying folks! :)

I agree wholeheartedly on getting students involved or at least interested in CC on campus. I've OCed at large Tucson events (the ones I've attended, anyway), and I've run into more than a few classmates who are surprised to know that I not only carry, but that I Open Carry and do not (nor plan to) possess a permit. Some seem genuinely interested, and others don't care for it because only a chosen few should have guns :)banghead:).
Those "looks" mean you are being noticed, and that (hopefully) means you are desensitizing; short of having the spousal unit and offspring in tow, there's little else that can make it look as normal as it should be.

OT: Now, back to the MWAG call for OC on U of A campus: I was walking across campus and got on one of the campus shuttles. Their control then asked for the driver of the shuttle that was just at the stop I boarded at. The driver gave our location and was told to stop and wait; I was the only passenger at the time, and I was slightly confused until I saw the bicycle cop. Long story short(er), it seems someone mistook my black, belt-carried flashlight and a pouch for a holstered, OCed handgun, on U of A campus, no less.:shocker:

Last edited:

asubae

Ew, a wildrat! ;) Quick!!!! Kill it before it lays eggs!!!

Joke. I'm glad as students, we can agree on something so important as carrying and self defense.

It stands that carry on campus, open/concealed if you are not authorized by ABOR or a deputized/sworn peace officer is AGAINST POLICY, as ARS has given ABOR control over firearms on campus. Kind of a double whammy because AZ State law claims preemption, but ABOR artfully circumvents it with their clause that grants them control over public universities. Their authority is granted to them under the following clause of the Arizona Revised Statutes:

ARS 15-1626. General administrative powers and duties of board; definition
A. The board shall:
1. Have and exercise the powers necessary for the effective governance and administration of the institutions under its control. To that end, the board may adopt, and authorize each university to adopt, such regulations, policies, rules or measures as are deemed necessary and may delegate in writing to its committees, to its university presidents, or their designees, or to other entities under its control, any part of its authority for the administration and governance of such institutions

When carrying, I always plan a path that gets me BY campus and not THROUGH it. So long as I am on public property, owned by a political subdivision of this state (ASU, NAU, and UA are an extension of the state and not a political subdivision) then I am well within my right to constitutionally [open] carry. As written, the federal GFSZ (gun-free school zone) act does not apply to Universities and only primary and secondary educational institutions. In addition, rather hard to enforce as you'd be hard pressed to find many municipal officers enforcing (a rather arbitrary) federal law and federal agents usually aren't standing by schools to arrest perpetrators who so ardently choose to violate gun-free zones (criminals).

ARS 13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions-
A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
12. Possessing a deadly weapon on school grounds; or

N. For the purposes of this section:

4. "School" means a public or nonpublic kindergarten program, common school or high school."​

Thus, there is no state or federal law which prevents OC/CC on campus, but rather the state has artfully handed that over to as you put it, the Arizona Board of Tyrants (ABOR). The change needs to comes from the students and active voters. Thanks for the reply Rusty Young Man!

Last edited: