• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry experience thread.

wimwag

Showing my age.....and veering off subject.

I don't understand the backpack craze. I see grade schools kids with backpacks, stuffed with more crap than they weigh, struggling to move. Makes me want to invest in chiropractic stock. Those kids will have the backs and legs of 80 year olds by the time they are old enough to start binge drinking in college.

Back in the olden days when I went to school (walking 10 miles in 3 feet of snow and it was uphill both ways :D), I just carried my books in my arms. When I went to college, I used a briefcase. Everything else was in my pockets, but that wasn't much more than a handkerchief, comb, wallet, and money if I had any.

But, that was before cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc. We didn't even have hand held calculators back then.

OK - Got that off my chest. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Fred

I used to carry a backpack but that was during the CD player days. I had to have some way to lug around my CD booklet. Now I have an iPod and smartphone. They hold more music than I could ever fit in a dozen backpacks. Coincidentally, I have spent a fortune on music downloads and have almost a terabyte of mp3s on several FireWire hard drives.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...NOTE: The links appearing in the text are not my own, but much like the asterisks that tend to crop up in my posts, seem to resist all attempts to remove them.

I'm not getting them but have had them in the past. It's on your end. I think you are the latest "skimwords" victim. Do some research, and you should be able to remove it.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

@AzCDLFred and WimWag:
The reason for carrying a backpack (for me, at least) is so that I may have my hands free in the event of an attack or a stumble. More importantly, my backpack doubles as my "Get-Home" bag; not having a car really sucks sometimes.:(

@MAC702:
Good to know. I just didn't want people thinking I was tricking them into clicking some blind link to an online store. Will do on finding a fix for it. I know there is a thread on the subject somewhere around here...

Which one and for what gun? and Galco is a local company.

He mentioned it was a Taurus, of some sort (didn't quite catch the number), and that it was a Beretta clone; he said it was not the Taurus PT92 though.

I let him know about Galco Gunleather being based in Phoenix, and he did seem to appreciate the "made locally" aspect, as do I.

If you were asking about my carry, it is a Galco Concealable for my 1911. I prefer forward molded leather to the more traditional pancake-style holsters; no prodding feeling even after eight hours of carry.:)

OT: OCed again at WalMart and picked up a few single-subject, college-ruled notebooks at only $.25 each; for all you guys and gals who have little ones in school, buying in bulk right about now will save you down the line.:p

No comments, a few second-takes, and no stink eyes that I could see, but I did get the best comment I can remember receiving from a stranger: The bus driver recognized me from my carry and voiced his approval of my OC.
Driver: Hey, how's it going? Oh yeah, I remember you!:D *gestures towards my 1911*
Me: Yes, the Open Carrier.:)
Driver: There you go. Man, I'm glad you're over here inside my bus. Somebody messin' with me, you're my friend right?
Me: Yeah.*

Not a bad encounter, IMO. Gives me hope knowing that I just might be helping our cause down here in Tucson, behind enemy lines.:p

*Obviously, not everyone would get the same answer from me. The reason he got that answer is because a lunatic attacking the driver of a moving bus also puts the occupants in harms way. By extension, I can be in danger of life and limb even if I am not being attacked directly.

Last edited:

wimwag

Rusty, I get that. Personally I keep a BOB on the floor next to me when I drive long distances. It sometimes contains a broken down AR. I also keep everything needed in the trunk in the event the time to defend the Constitution with force comes.

28kfps

In a nutshell, if you are 21 or older, you can open carry anywhere EXCEPT public (state and local government) facilities or businesses that display a "no firearms (or weapons)" sign. Signage does not have to be accurate or even reference the correct statute.

You can never carry openly where booze is served for consumption. You may carry discreetly where booze is served if they don't post a no firearms sign and you have a CCW permit.

As an aside, if you are 21 or older you do not need a CCW permit to carry discreetly EXCEPT where booze is sold for consumption
(Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits)

Fred
PS - Join AzCDL

Just cursing through AZ postings of my neighboring and my home state to get a good understanding and refresher on OCing and booze. Explanation made simple here thanks. Will be making a camping trip near Prescott. In NV firearms ok even having a beer ok while carrying just cannot have a BAC of 0.1, interesting enough 0.08 BAC for driving in NV.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... In NV firearms ok even having a beer ok while carrying just cannot have a BAC of 0.1, interesting enough 0.08 BAC for driving in NV.

Driving is OPERATION of a dangerous device, not merely possession. It should be a different standard. That said, 0.10 was always an arbitrary low number anyway. 0.08 BAC limit for driving was to drastically raise the number of citation$,

28kfps

Driving is OPERATION of a dangerous device, not merely possession. It should be a different standard. That said, 0.10 was always an arbitrary low number anyway. 0.08 BAC limit for driving was to drastically raise the number of citation$,

Actually MAC the .08 was as a direct result of a long time and well funded push from MADD mothers against drunk drivers back when they were highly visible and in the national news. Several years ago my wife and I did pay attention to this issue though we never belonged to or donated to MADD however due to my wife's mom, grandma, grandfather, and aunt being killed by a drunk we did stay in the know.

azcdlfred

I used to carry a backpack but that was during the CD player days. I had to have some way to lug around my CD booklet. Now I have an iPod and smartphone. They hold more music than I could ever fit in a dozen backpacks. Coincidentally, I have spent a fortune on music downloads and have almost a terabyte of mp3s on several FireWire hard drives.
I'm 67 years old. There were no CD's or even cassette or 8 track tape players when I was a kid. Transistor radios didn't start to appear until I was in my teens and they were primitive and bulky.

Imagine a world with no cell phones, tablets, laptops, MP3 players (or any other tiny media device), portable radios, or even desktop computers. That was the world I grew up in. Hi-tech was a slide rule. No need for a back pack. I could stuff everything important into my pants pockets with it even wrinkling my pants.

Fred

OC for ME

Remember the NINE transistor radio? I'm looking forward to needing a NINE transistor shirt pocket hearing aid, which OFF switch I'll paint red and switch it OFF with a flourish of my middle finger.

I still have my box of slide rules out in the garage that includes my father's that he gave me when he got his first desktop computer. When I went to USN nuclear power school we were not permitted calculators, using slide rules only. When I went to my first boat they were still doing RO EFPH logging calculations on a SR. I got permission to use my $400 HP-35.

In my career I was the last engineer to produce penciled drawings on plastic film as I drew and verified current condition engineroom piping drawings ready for reproduction when the ship arrived for overhaul. As an electrician, my last biggest job was to backfit the first IC-microelectronic reactor controls and instrumentation suite. The system that I ripped out used discrete components, including a temperature compensating composite diode that I learned to make for being obsolete and unobtainable.
Didn't have those problems on diesel boats...then I got sentenced to the Billfish. Whoa, it was a five start hotel. Not sure why i went to a diesel boat in the first place come to think of it. I heard boomer have real flush toilets too. Man, what a life.

wimwag

I'm 67 years old. There were no CD's or even cassette or 8 track tape players when I was a kid. Transistor radios didn't start to appear until I was in my teens and they were primitive and bulky.

Imagine a world with no cell phones, tablets, laptops, MP3 players (or any other tiny media device), portable radios, or even desktop computers. That was the world I grew up in. Hi-tech was a slide rule. No need for a back pack. I could stuff everything important into my pants pockets with it even wrinkling my pants.

Fred

It's like a nightmare.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Actually MAC the .08 was as a direct result of a long time and well funded push from MADD mothers against drunk drivers back when they were highly visible and in the national news. Several years ago my wife and I did pay attention to this issue though we never belonged to or donated to MADD however due to my wife's mom, grandma, grandfather, and aunt being killed by a drunk we did stay in the know.

MADD wasn't funded by lawyers? Point is, 0.08 v 0.10 did not make a difference in drunk drivers. Neither killed anyone. What was the BAC of the criminal who murdered her family?

MADD also got the "open container" law. Now a passenger on a long road trip can't [legally] enjoy a cold bottle of suds even though they will never touch the wheel.

Last edited:

ODAAT

slave stater moving because I'm sick of slave state laws

Hi all

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread for this (though it's ultimately about OC experiences so hopefully it's okay...)

Just joined OCDO recently after months of lurking and reading.

What I want to ask though is this - the 2A Friendly app (mentioned several comments back in this thread) seems like a great idea because it's insane to have to wonder every time I envision leaving my home whether I'm going to run into an anti sign. Except that app seems weak in regard to real volume of info.

Is there anywhere at all that has anything resembling a list of such establishments throughout the State? I'm mostly going to be interested in Prescott area because that's where I'll be moving to, however I have friends throughout central and northern AZ as well, and will be doing a lot of day and weekend travel just enjoying AZ...

FYI - I read every single post in this thread. Took me a few days to get through it... :p and it makes my heart get all warm and fuzzy with how I had hoped it would be for the most part regarding OC.

I'm moving to AZ after the 1st of the year because I'm fed up with California. While I'm already annoyed to hear several others from this particular state have already moved to AZ and brought their anti attitudes with them, from the moment I cross the State line I will gladly and joyfully OC and do my part to help ensure AZ doesn't become California East.

To this end, I joined AZCDL tonight. Can't wait to proudly wear my new shirt when it arrives! :banana:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...
What I want to ask though is this - the 2A Friendly app (mentioned several comments back in this thread) seems like a great idea because it's insane to have to wonder every time I envision leaving my home whether I'm going to run into an anti sign. Except that app seems weak in regard to real volume of info.

Is there anywhere at all that has anything resembling a list of such establishments throughout the State? I'm mostly going to be interested in Prescott area because that's where I'll be moving to, however I have friends throughout central and northern AZ as well, and will be doing a lot of day and weekend travel just enjoying AZ...

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Tucson ODAAT!:)
You could try out (and help update) gunburger.com, FriendorFoe.us, and the aforementioned 2A Friendly; the way I see it, if more people updated them, the larger and more useful they would be to Freedom-loving citizens who wanted to know which businesses they wanted to patronize.

FYI - I read every single post in this thread. Took me a few days to get through it... :p and it makes my heart get all warm and fuzzy with how I had hoped it would be for the most part regarding OC.

I'm moving to AZ after the 1st of the year because I'm fed up with California. While I'm already annoyed to hear several others from this particular state have already moved to AZ and brought their anti attitudes with them, from the moment I cross the State line I will gladly and joyfully OC and do my part to help ensure AZ doesn't become California East.

To this end, I joined AZCDL tonight. Can't wait to proudly wear my new shirt when it arrives! :banana:

Glad to hear the OC experience thread is working.:D And good to hear on your new membership with AzCDL! Don't know if you're able to make it to the annual luncheon (11 October in Phoenix)?

Just make sure you wipe your shoes before you step into AZ; wouldn't want you bringing any of that in from the land to the west.:p

Last edited:

azcdlfred

Congratulations on joining AzCDL!

it takes me about 4-6 weeks to get memberships processed (I work on about 400 a month) and get your card in the mail. However, you'll probably get that t-shirt in the next couple of weeks.

Welcome aboard!
Fred
AzCDL's Treasurer and chief cook and bottle washer

ODAAT

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Tucson ODAAT!:)
You could try out (and help update) gunburger.com, FriendorFoe.us, and the aforementioned 2A Friendly; the way I see it, if more people updated them, the larger and more useful they would be to Freedom-loving citizens who wanted to know which businesses they wanted to patronize.

Once I move to AZ I'll see what I can to to contribute. I check in with Yelp everywhere I go so if I can have an "easy as" path with the OC status of places, it'd be a no-brainer for me.

Glad to hear the OC experience thread is working.:D And good to hear on your new membership with AzCDL! Don't know if you're able to make it to the annual luncheon (11 October in Phoenix)?

Just make sure you wipe your shoes before you step into AZ; wouldn't want you bringing any of that in from the land to the west.:p

I'm not moving till after the 1st of the year. And while I don't plan on "bringing any of that" with me, I may need several sessions with a counselor to be sure I wasn't subconsciously indoctrinated into slave-state beliefs without knowing about it...

ODAAT

Congratulations on joining AzCDL!

it takes me about 4-6 weeks to get memberships processed (I work on about 400 a month) and get your card in the mail. However, you'll probably get that t-shirt in the next couple of weeks.

Welcome aboard!
Fred
AzCDL's Treasurer and chief cook and bottle washer

LOL when I got the welcome email and saw the process time I was like - wait - they've got 10,000 members and it takes HOW LONG? Then I remembered how it goes with any volunteer non-profits - a tiny fraction are willing / have the time / patience / skill / experience to do anything important and it takes insane effort just to get most members to pitch in in ways that matter the most... :banghead:

After I move there and settle in, I'll see how my life is and whether I can help in some way. (Several years experience helping put on non-profit events, fundraisers...)

And I can't wait for the shirt! Gonna wear it proudly. And maybe record reactions here in the slave-state as I explain what it's for :p

FreeInAZ

OC'd for a nice group lunch in downtown Phoenix. Nice time for all; went well as usual. ;)

Last edited: