Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: May I OC my wife's gun?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    3

    May I OC my wife's gun?

    I did search, I just couldn't find an answer fitting the variables, or one that is recent.

    She has her CCW and I have been told by my County's Sheriff that he will never award me a CCW (I know that in many gun-friendly counties the Sheriff will simply rubber stamp these forms) going back to an incident 20 years ago between my family and the (not yet then) Sheriff over a land deal... so nothing ever involving me (I got a DUI in college, that's it for my career as a criminal and that was many many moons ago). So for Xmas, my wife gave me a S&W M&P .40 full frame, but it was purchased in her name, not mine; again, to avoid going through the Sheriff (who I hope is out of office soon as he has been a pr**k to many people for many years and loves to flex his "muscle"). I intend to apply for a right to purchase license for a private sale between she and I, but as of this moment where do I stand?

    And should SHTF in a bad, bad way, I'll carry however I see fit to protect myself and our two daughters (my wife can certainly handle herself). But barring that, I've considered that she CCW her Glock 26 in an ankle holster and "my" S&W in a hip holster so as to equip me assuming the need, but that is an extreme situation and an extremely unlikely one at that. "May I OC my wife's gun?" is my question.

    And if this is asked and answered, please simply point me there. Thank y'all for your time.

  2. #2
    Regular Member REDFIVE48's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    247
    Has been asked previously and I believe the standard line is, as long as you are legally allowed to possess a gun, you can OC. As for the gun you OC, ownership is not an issue as long as it's not stolen. As for the CHP, it's not discretionary like the PPP, so you may want to go ahead and apply for it and then if denied, you can appeal.
    Last edited by REDFIVE48; 02-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northwest N.C.
    Posts
    9
    I'm with REDFIVE48, apply for the CCP. If the sheriff denies the request, he has to have an official reason. I'd be interested to see if "I don't like him" would hold up.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    She can permanently loan you the gun. As long as you can legally possess it there are no problems. N.C. is a shall issue state. If your Sheriff denies you without cause then you just appeal him at the state level.
    Last edited by NC-Heel; 02-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    3
    Thanks y'all; I appreciate the information and I am now neck deep in the PDF of North Carolina's gun laws. I also went and applied for a purchase permit today. We'll see how it goes. If he can't give me a good reason why I can have neither a purchase permit or a CCW, but denies me anyway, then I'll just work my way up the hog, so to speak.

  6. #6
    Regular Member firedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    FL/NC
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Ketch View Post
    Thanks y'all; I appreciate the information and I am now neck deep in the PDF of North Carolina's gun laws. I also went and applied for a purchase permit today. We'll see how it goes. If he can't give me a good reason why I can have neither a purchase permit or a CCW, but denies me anyway, then I'll just work my way up the hog, so to speak.
    Florida issues Non-resident CCW permits which has reciprocity in NC. Not exactly sure the procedures for non-residents but I think if you have a gun safety course under your belt and submit the application with finger print card you should be able to get one. You would have to do some more research on your own but it's just a thought.

    However, I've recently read that NC is pushing the elimination of recognizing non-resident permits. I hope your legislators don't let that pass. I carry in NC all the time on my Florida Resident permit.

    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html
    Last edited by firedog; 02-07-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    2A - "Shall not be infringed". Our fathers said so!
    All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

  7. #7
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    Florida issues Non-resident CCW permits which has reciprocity in NC. Not exactly sure the procedures for non-residents but I think if you have a gun safety course under your belt and submit the application with finger print card you should be able to get one. You would have to do some more research on your own but it's just a thought.

    However, I've recently read that NC is pushing the elimination of recognizing non-resident permits. I hope your legislators don't let that pass. I carry in NC all the time on my Florida Resident permit.

    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html
    Florida will also accept a DD-214 in place of approved gun safety training certificates, if you have one.

  8. #8
    Regular Member REDFIVE48's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Ketch View Post
    Thanks y'all; I appreciate the information and I am now neck deep in the PDF of North Carolina's gun laws. I also went and applied for a purchase permit today. We'll see how it goes. If he can't give me a good reason why I can have neither a purchase permit or a CCW, but denies me anyway, then I'll just work my way up the hog, so to speak.
    Don't think I would have bothered with a PPP, that one he can deny at his discretion (stupid law), the CHP is 'shall issue' so must have legal reason to deny. May have wasted your time.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    Don't think I would have bothered with a PPP, that one he can deny at his discretion (stupid law), the CHP is 'shall issue' so must have legal reason to deny. May have wasted your time.
    $#!t

    Now you tell me ;-)

    Well, we'll just hasfta see how this all shakes out from here.

  10. #10
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Ketch View Post
    $#!t

    Now you tell me ;-)

    Well, we'll just hasfta see how this all shakes out from here.
    Well~~~if you get the PPP without hassle you won't have a problem with the permit. It is not money wasted, until you get your privilege card you can use the PPP for long gun purchases without messing with the insta check, or you can just use it to get a shiny new handgun to OC with until you get your privilege card.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greensboro, ,
    Posts
    235

    May I OC my wife's gun?

    Despite the sheriff's words, he has no discretion in issuing CHP. He has complete discretion on whether to issue a purchase permit however (and there is very little you can do about it - Don't you just love the remnants of the Jim Crow laws?) .

    If you meet the legal requirements for the carry permit, I would apply for that.

    Just my $.02



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •