• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2013 New Bills Announced

boyscout399

As bills trickle onto the State Legislator's website, I've been reading them. Here's some to watch:

An Act Regarding the Sale of Firearms at Gun Shows - Forces NCIC checks for ALL gun transactions whether private or not at gun shows.

An Act to Amend the Laws Regarding a Concealed Handgun Permit - Changes our permit from 18 years old to 21 years old.

An Act to Authorize the Suspension of a Concealed Handgun Permit - Authorizes the issuing authority to suspend any CHP when they have cause to believe the holder may be revoked.

An Act to Establish a Concealed Handgun Permit Database - Creates a database of CHP holders updated continuously that is accessible to Law Enforcement, Courts, and Bail Commissioners.

An Act to Criminalize Possession of a Revoked Concealed Handgun Permit - You are instantly a criminal at the moment your permit is revoked.

An Act Designating the Chief of the State Police as the Only Issuing Authority for Concealed Handgun Permits - No more local permits only State Police may issue permits (imagine the wait times after this one)

An Act to Repeal the Restriction on Employers Regarding Firearms in Employee Vehicles - Repeals what we fought so hard to accomplish just a few years ago.

These bills are all no good guys. Get on the phones and call your reps. Send emails showing your disapproval. We need to nip this quick or they're likely to slide through. None of these are terrible, but it's a very slippery slope. Don't give an inch.

Added:

An Act to Review Firearm Laws in the State - Wants to review Employee car carry, Carry in State Parks, Availability of Ammunition, Body Armor, and other items.

An Act to Clarify the Law Regarding Threatening Display of a Weapon - THIS ESSENTIALLY OUTLAWS OPEN CARRY

An Act to Amend the Laws Governing the Discharge of Firearms near a Dwelling - Expands law from discharge within 100 yards to discharge or allow the projectile to pass within 100 yards.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

Not too happy about all the CC bills. Wonder where those came from?

For HP0183, would that void permits issued by cities such as Portland?

I hate LePage, but I hope he doesn't allow a single one of these through and recognizes them as the horse **** they are.

boyscout399

Not too happy about all the CC bills. Wonder where those came from?

For HP0183, would that void permits issued by cities such as Portland?

I hate LePage, but I hope he doesn't allow a single one of these through and recognizes them as the horse **** they are.

There's nothing in the bill about voiding current permits, just ones going forward.

LePage is very pro gun. I just hope they don't slip by him. I think part of our email campaign should focus on informing him of why he should veto these bills.

Wait a minute

Thanks for the heads up. Time to buy stamps and pass the word. Wonder if its worth emailing to the nra's attention?

SPOProds

Thanks for the heads up. Time to buy stamps and pass the word. Wonder if its worth emailing to the nra's attention?

NRA isn't doing anything to help CT out and they've got 91 gun control bills on the table. I also haven't seen anything about them helping NY and NY got fracked big time.

MainelyGlock

I added 3 new statutes! One of them essentially bans open carry. Guys, we need to WAKE UP and fight this!!!

Too bad there's no equivalent to the pre-emption laws on a federal level. Or, at least one that states would have to follow.

The second part of the OC-banning revision, wouldn't that also ban CC? I don't see anything about an except for firearms for CCP holders.

RLTW!

For purposes of this paragraph, "display in a threatening manner" includes to display in a public place in a manner that causes a reasonable person to suffer intimidation or alarm

So pretty much:

"If seeing a firearm outside Cawwa Dooty: Modern Black Ops XXVIIII, TV and violent movies offends you then please dial 911 and file a "hurt feelings report." Once the report is filed police can charge the law abiding citizen with a crime."

MainelyGlock

So pretty much:

"If seeing a firearm outside Cawwa Dooty: Modern Black Ops XXVIIII, TV and violent movies offends you then please dial 911 and file a "hurt feelings report." Once the report is filed police can charge the law abiding citizen with a crime."

That's not going to go well here in Portland. At all. Maybe north of Augusta where people tend to be more lax about it.

boyscout399

Too bad there's no equivalent to the pre-emption laws on a federal level. Or, at least one that states would have to follow.

The second part of the OC-banning revision, wouldn't that also ban CC? I don't see anything about an except for firearms for CCP holders.

It does say DISPLAY of the firearm that makes someone feel threatened is what is the crime. So a concealed pistol would not be "displayed"

MainelyGlock

It does say DISPLAY of the firearm that makes someone feel threatened is what is the crime. So a concealed pistol would not be "displayed"

I was talking about this part: "B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person."

Unless my CCP is a "provision of law" as it states at the top of the page?

boyscout399

I was talking about this part: "B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person."

Unless my CCP is a "provision of law" as it states at the top of the page?

There's still the exceptions in part B of that statute. That provision is excepted for police and CHP holders

tazxrulz

I complained to this bills sponsor on his Facebook page. His response was "Mr. Grace - LD380 simply clarifies an existing law that makes it illegal to display dangerous weapons (not limited to guns) in a threatening manner." However after reading LD380 it seems to me that if you are openly carrying a gun and a reasonable person seems to be alarmed you would be breaking the law? Am I wrong here or what? Maybe some of you can join me and voice your displeasure with this bill.
https://www.facebook.com/DrewGattineForStateRepresentativeMaineDistrict126/posts/338941002892319?comment_id=1681673&notif_t=feed_comment

tazxrulz

Drew Gattine is a complete moron... I can't believe he can have such a moronic though process. I hope this guy gets sent to the moon for eternity. Turns out he is also supporting the release of CCW holders?? It is so hard not to just cuss his stupid butt out!