• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A note on gun control and police

papa bear

OK, I know we're big on terminology, but I don't know any other way to state that I see a lot of people get shot. I see a lot of drive by shootings where someone may or may not be shot, but the house and surrounding vehicles are riddled with bullets. I go to a lot of "shots fired" calls, and I pick up a lot of shell casings in the middle of the street. All of which (obviously) is illegal gun use, and could be described as "violence." If you have a better way to describe this in a shorter term other than "gun violence", let me know.

LUCKYYKID, thanks for your service. violence is violence. specifying it as "gun violence" is just as the anti's want. if a car is used in a act of violence why is a drive by not called a "car violence". you know they are not using bicycles or horses. but by course i am a gun carrier that is against gun violence

i have said for a long time that you get a big difference in sheriff offices and Police dept.. i do believe it is the training that they get. i believe the anti bent that Police have is being taught in academies

Ctclassic

Most cops have HS diplomas and that's about it ... because that's all that's required..not their fault for that.

And if the academies are teaching this anti-gun mantra then this needs to be addressed. Hummm..I wonder if the records used in the academies are public records....

Hey McMeth, how about some statistical numbers to support your erroneous banter.

Ctclassic

Stats on what?

Oh I dunno, you seem to think that just having a HS education is all one needs to become a cop, maybe you should show some support on that statement by researching the ratio of cops that come through the academy that have HS diploma's vs. those who may have military background and/or those who have taken criminal justice in college etc...Maybe you could supply some links to actual cities/towns and state police forces that are trying to recruit officers. I can't wait.

WalkingWolf

To be honest I could care less if people have a college diploma, or even if they have a high school diploma. It is just a piece of paper for most jobs, and it is the knowledge people have that counts. And rarely do college diplomas mean common sense, and a understanding of the constitution.

F350

Good Lord Almighty I don't even know what to say. While being somewhat cryptic, I believe i made it pretty clear where I stand, and where most other cops stand.

I CAN'T flat out state anything, because when you become a cop you LOSE your freedom of speech. So I play it safe.

Everyone else except davidmcbeth seemed to be able to figure it out...

Be kind; davidmcbeth is kinda our special needs poster.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have questioned cops under oath and have asked for what educational background they have. Every one I have examined only had HS diplomas.

What you want transcripts? I only have one transcript that was ordered ...its buried somewhere ...

MainelyGlock

I'm a criminal justice major, and as of late pretty much every PD in Maine is hiring right now (go figure). On all of the job description pages, the requirements say something like "H.S. diploma or G.E.D., and at least 60 college credits or x-amount of years in a related field."

Clearly all of our cops are better educated than the rest of the country's! :rolleyes:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm a criminal justice major, and as of late pretty much every PD in Maine is hiring right now (go figure). On all of the job description pages, the requirements say something like "H.S. diploma or G.E.D., and at least 60 college credits or x-amount of years in a related field."

Clearly all of our cops are better educated than the rest of the country's! :rolleyes:

The requirements are min. requirements. Of course 2 people, 1 with a degree and 1 w/o, who will win this?

Maybe I should apply? Then harass gun owners hehehe ...

From the application ... (not even a HS diploma is required) ...
Education and Experience: Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalency degree and have either: two (2) years
of post-high school employment experience(s) or three (3) years of education in a post-high school program at a school,
college, or university; or any combination of post-high school employment and post-high school education totaling three (3)
years. Candidates for Firefighter/Paramedic positions must be certified as a Paramedic at the time of application.

Last edited:

Ctclassic

A psychology degree is 10x better than "criminal justice" for this field of work if one wishes to work in this field...(I'm not qualified due to my high intellect)

*LAUGHING*--Thanks for making me spit my coffee out all over my laptop after reading that tag line......THAT was funny right there!! You should really consider making your own website and charging for your show.

MainelyGlock

The requirements are min. requirements. Of course 2 people, 1 with a degree and 1 w/o, who will win this?

Maybe I should apply? Then harass gun owners hehehe ...

From the application ... (not even a HS diploma is required) ...
Education and Experience: Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalency degree and have either: two (2) years
of post-high school employment experience(s) or three (3) years of education in a post-high school program at a school,
college, or university; or any combination of post-high school employment and post-high school education totaling three (3)
years. Candidates for Firefighter/Paramedic positions must be certified as a Paramedic at the time of application.

Haha, maybe you should! Pretty sure that's part of the training for PPD.

motoxmann

I'd just like to point out that when I first saw David's posts on this site I thought he was crazy. as time went on I realised he does contribute a lot of useful information, and is very active in the community and does actually get some things done. he has many unorthodoxed methods, and makes very opinionated statements, some beyond the limit of absurd. I still think he's crazy :p in a few definitions of the word but I also think he's more active in the 2A community than almost anyone else I've seen in a while [who is not a leader of a gun rights organization], so I must give him credit at least for that among a few other things. also notice that he does well debating, he doesn't freak and get angry and go off the handle at people (at least that I've seen). and yes, he adds some humor to the topic every now and then lol.

sorry to be OT, but more people should at least see what I see, at least he's actually doing something and contributing and urging others to act as well, which is more than I can say about a lot of other people.
so thank you to EVERYONE who contributes to the cause. even if the contribution is occasionally off-kilter and sparks a debate, mature debates are good because they encourage further research and ideas; standard proper politics.

davidmcbeth

Banned

All the cops I had in this state testifying under oath have only had HS diplomas ... I ask these type of BR questions with many subject to my examination.

How many have greater than a HS diploma? I don't know. Yet. I will find out.

WalkingWolf

All the cops I had in this state testifying under oath have only had HS diplomas ... I ask these type of BR questions with many subject to my examination.

How many have greater than a HS diploma? I don't know. Yet. I will find out.

Are you a attorney? And if not how many police officers have you questioned "under oath"?