• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Curious on opinions, looking for improvement.

BOOMcat12B

So I was checking out my local Sheriff Department's FB and came across this post-

"Couldn't sleep so got up and turned on my computer and the first thing I saw was a Video that has gone Viral, of a man standing in line at a JCPenney's store with a weapon over his shoulder and a Glock in his belt. And a woman also in line took the pictures. How quick do you think you're going to be getting calls about this going on right here at home? Who are going to be the first ones in this area, to try this, too? And nothing we can do about it. How do we tell if he's a good guy or a bad guy. Will they be wearing white or black hats. Who's going to be the first to challenge them to see which they are? I have Panic Attacks, and I know the way I will probably respond, before I can make my way out of that business and never go back. I sit here scared to death to have to go outside tomorrow, into what will look like our own little war zone. Just thought you all should be advised of what's about to happen."

So I decided to reply and hopefully help this person feel a little better/educated for the next time they see someone OC...And I am not going to lie I am one of the only folks that does OC in my town so this is also to hopefully hedge off a negative encounter should this person see me out and about one day (it is a small town)
Here is my reply-

I am just going through some of these posts and I noticed yours. I would like to try to help you understand open carrying so that you might better handle this situation should you encounter it. Please understand that this is not a message meant to insult, degrade or belittle you in any way, but rather to explain to you some things about OCing, as knowledge is power as the saying goes. When someone openly carries their firearm into public they are doing so in full compliance with their local, state, and federal laws. They are carrying to protect themselves and their loved ones. They are not carrying a weapon with the intention of causing anyone harm with said weapon, unless someone threatens them with violence first. They are simply trying to be what is called a "hard target". Someone who either will be left alone by a criminal due to the weapon, and move on to someone else who is not carrying (to their knowledge anyways, remember a lot of citizens are legally carrying concealed as well) or can respond with the appropriate response to a criminals threat. I say that a person who is open carrying is in compliance with the law because a criminal will conceal their weapon so that they have a bit of the element of surprise when they attack you. Someone who is open carrying has nothing to hide. Now with all that being said I will say that I am an advocate of openly carrying, and I do so on a daily basis. I live in Rolla and have never had a problem with carrying nor have I ever had a reason to pull my firearm. I am very thankful for this as I hope i am never put in that situation, as do many of us who openly carry. However should that situation ever happen we are prepared to defend ourselves and those around us. I will agree that carrying a rifle with you is too much. There is no reason to carry a rifle with you in your day to day life. I did that for a year, in a country where your very survival depended on that weapon being with in arms reach of you. But that is not the situation here in the states thankfully (well not in Rolla anyways, Chicago and Detroit might be a different story.) so there is no reason to do so. Please understand that those of us who openly carry have spent many many hours on the range, most of us come from a firearms/military/Law Enforcement background, and we are mentally and physically prepared to carry and do so in the safest manner possible. We are constantly aware of our surroundings and are always on our toes. We are simply carrying to protect ourselves and our loved ones. We are law abiding, tax paying citizens same as just about everyone else you see when you leave your house. The only difference is that we are prepared to defend ourselves should, God forbid, the need ever arise. If you ever have any questions or concerns about carrying or openly carrying please feel free to contact me and ask. I am always willing to help people understand this delicate issue. I hope that this information helps you feel safer and will alleviate some of your concerns. With respect...

What do you guys think? Good bad or just right? I am sure they is room for improvement and I am always looking for better ways to further ocing and educating folks. So any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks for your time.

B0wman

What do you guys think? Good bad or just right? I am sure they is room for improvement and I am always looking for better ways to further ocing and educating folks. So any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I think you nailed it!

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Very nice, except this part:

...I will agree that carrying a rifle with you is too much. There is no reason to carry a rifle with you in your day to day life. I did that for a year, in a country where your very survival depended on that weapon being with in arms reach of you. But that is not the situation here in the states thankfully (well not in Rolla anyways, Chicago and Detroit might be a different story.) so there is no reason to do so...

I won't attempt to sway your opinion on the matter, but throwing any portion of the practice of our right to keep and bear arms under the bus will weaken the perceived support for the whole of the uninfringed right, including the practices you prefer.

Silence concerning a particular lawful practice that you don't choose to support (rifle carry in this case) would be better than ceding agreement, especially in public discussions.

Just my .02

motoxmann

I won't attempt to sway your opinion on the matter, but throwing any portion of the practice of our right to keep and bear arms under the bus will weaken the perceived support for the whole of the uninfringed right, including the practices you prefer.

Silence concerning a particular lawful practice that you don't choose to support (rifle carry in this case) would be better than ceding agreement, especially in public discussions.

Just my .02

x2

I think you did pretty well all things considered. a hair more focus or expansion on the part talking about OCing due to nothing to hide and criminals concealing as to not get caught could have been discussed further, but hopefully the readers see that part as standing out

BOOMcat12B

Please do not misinterpret what I meant. I am all for the 100% carrying freely of any firearm you believe you would like to carry.If it is in the law that carrying a rifle is legal...and you would like do it then go for it. I am not going to bat an eye at you or think anything about it should I see you walking around with a rifle slinged on your back... I myself won't carry a rifle with me as I see no need to. Should things ever get so bad that I need to I will in a heartbeat. I have done it before and can do it again. But I am not simply saying that this is a right that needs to be taken away or infringed upon. Just not one that I will exercise. Though i will defend it and fight for it in the same manner that I do for OCing a pistol.

Is that how my comments came off? That I feel they should ban rifle carry? I certainly did not mean for that to be the case.

Gil223

Just my .02

Mixed feelings on this one. BOOMcat did an excellent job in his reply, and for most of us in this forum a long gun is an unnecessary encumbrance as we wander through downtown, inasmuch as we have our sidearms. I also believe that ATM is correct in his "throwing under the bus" statement. If the long gun is all you own, or even if you own a pistol but choose not to carry it, you have the right to carry it, just as those of us have to carry our handguns holstered and openly displayed.

Personally, I would be very watchful of an individual I didn't know carrying a long gun into the grocery store, the same is true of a pistol peeking out from under a hoodie or imprinting under other clothing. I would take notice of - but be less vigilant of - someone OC'ing, simply because OC is (to me) an indication that there is no threat from that individual. To my way of thinking, carrying a long gun as you go about your daily business, reflects more of an "in your face" attitude on the part of the owner. It's as if he/she is intentionally trying to call attention to themselves. Attitude toward a practice has a lot to do with it's general acceptance. Just my thoughts, and not carved in stone anywhere. Pax...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Judge a person by their actions, not by the tool(s) they carry.

That said, please review Forum Rules.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

BOOMcat12B

My apologies...Did not mean to break the rules. I only brought up the long gun aspect in my reply due to the original post... Will steer clear from now on.

On a side not I agree Grapeshot. however there are folks out there either to ignorant or to brainwashed to do so when it comes to someone who carries. Thus my reply to the person on FB. Always looking to help educate the community to further our cause.

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...Is that how my comments came off? That I feel they should ban rifle carry? I certainly did not mean for that to be the case.

Not at all. I only hoped to point out that ceding seemingly unimportant ground on methods or practices may be misconstrued or even purposefully misrepresented elsewhere as weakened support for the right, which is obviously not your position.