• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CALL TO ACTION! SB173 is a big one for us.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
SB173 was authored by Sen Griffin at the request of OKOCA and OK2A.

This bill will provide an exemption from liability to any business who chooses to allow lawful carry. This will help a lot in our efforts to convince businesses to take down their "gun free" zones.

The bill has been referred to the Senate Public Safety Committee, but has not yet been scheduled for a hearing. Here's what you can do.

Call your senator. You can find out who that is here. Tell them that you strongly support this bill, and ask them to consider co-authoring this bill.

It probably wouldn't hurt to contact Senator Don Barrington, the chair of the Public Safety Committee, and ask him to schedule this bill for a hearing as soon as possible. His number is 405.521.5563, and his email address is barrington@oksenate.gov

Once we see that it's scheduled, we'll ask you to contact the members of the Senate Public Safety Committee.

This is going to be an interesting legislative session, to say the least! Please STAY CONNECTED and help us to get what we want from the legislature!

yoshieslunchbox

Working on a letter send to my senator. He has a seat on the Public Safety Committee, so I'll email it to him, as well as send a copy via regular mail, and then follow up with a phone call for good measure. He hasn't responded to me in the past, so I'll see if I can at least get a reply this time.

cbxer55

I seriously doubt any of the critters ever even see what is sent to them. Some paid staffer sitting at a desk in another location reads it, and shreds it without another thought.

docachna

what's good for the goose....

SB173 was authored by Sen Griffin at the request of OKOCA and OK2A.

This bill will provide an exemption from liability to any business who chooses to allow lawful carry. This will help a lot in our efforts to convince businesses to take down their "gun free" zones......

Does Oklahoma presently provide similar civil immunity for any business who chooses to PROHIBIT lawful carry, or is it part of the proposed legislation ? In some states where a business has immunity either way, no matter what their choice, it has proven to make for an easier argument to get signs down ("you have immunity no matter what you do, so let us protect ourselves while we shop here !"). However, some say it also gives the anti's the argument that the business can safely bar concealed carry licensees, since the licensee has no civil recourse against the business for infringing on their right to protect themselves in the event of a tragedy.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Does Oklahoma presently provide similar civil immunity for any business who chooses to PROHIBIT lawful carry, or is it part of the proposed legislation ? In some states where a business has immunity either way, no matter what their choice, it has proven to make for an easier argument to get signs down ("you have immunity no matter what you do, so let us protect ourselves while we shop here !"). However, some say it also gives the anti's the argument that the business can safely bar concealed carry licensees, since the licensee has no civil recourse against the business for infringing on their right to protect themselves in the event of a tragedy.

Please tell me more about these states. I'd like to look at their laws that do this.

The legislature will not impose liability on anyone. 1st of all the very strong insurance lobby would have no part of that. 2nd, most legislators believe that imposing liability is a function of the courts. They can, however exempt an entity from liability. We suggested this bill to provide an incentive for business to allow lawful carry.

hermannr

Please tell me more about these states. I'd like to look at their laws that do this.

The legislature will not impose liability on anyone. 1st of all the very strong insurance lobby would have no part of that. 2nd, most legislators believe that imposing liability is a function of the courts. They can, however exempt an entity from liability. We suggested this bill to provide an incentive for business to allow lawful carry.

You might want to check out WI law. they have an immunity from liability statute for carry.