Thread: Snohomish County Board of Health - Resolution in support of gun control

Snohomish County Board of Health - Resolution in support of gun control

All,

The Snohomish County Board of Health will be considering passing a resolution in support of ‘meaningful action to address gun violence’ at their upcoming general board meeting this Tuesday. I strongly urge you to voice your opinion either way on the matter and let your board members know. You are welcome to attend in person as it is a public meeting. Below is a list of the county board members and various ways to contact them. Also below is the draft resolution with a link to the full agenda.

Voice your opinion!

WHEN: Tuesday 13MAR2013 3:00PM
    WHERE: 3020 Rucker Ave, Everett, WA 98201 – Auditorium

2013 Board of Health Members

City of Stanwood – Diane White mayor@ci.stanwood.wa.us – 360-629-2181
    City of Marysville – Donna Wright dwright@marysvillewa.gov 360-659-7027
    City of Mukilteo – Linda Grafer lgrafer@ci.mukilteo.wa.us 425-263-8018
    City of Everett – Shannon Affholter saffholter@ci.everett.wa.us 425-257-8703
    City of Edmonds – Adrienne Fraley-Monillas adrienne.monillas@ci.edmonds.wa.us 206-890-4562
    City of Lynnwood – Kerri Longeran-Dreke klonergan@ci.lynnwood.wa.us
    City of Snohomish – Karen Guzak (2013 Chair) guzak@ci.snohomish.wa.us 360-568-1000
    City of Lake Stevens – Vern Little vlittle@ci.lake-stevens.wa.us 425-334-1012
    City of Brier – John Joplins jjoplin@ci.brier.wa.us 425-775-5440
    City of Mountlake Terrace – Seaun Richardscityhall@ci.mlt.wa.us 425-776-6846
    Snohomish County Council – John Koster John.Koster@snoco.org 425-388-3494
    Snohomish County Council – Brian Sullivan Brian.Sullivan@snoco.org -388-3494
    Snohomish County Council – Dave Somers Dave.Somers@snoco.org 425-388-3494
    Snohomish County Council – Stephanie Wright stephanie.wright@snoco.org 425-388-3494
    Snohomish County Council – Dave Gossett Dave.Gossett@snoco.org 425-388-3494

Board of Health Website - http://www.snohd.org/Boh/Default.aspx

Full Agenda - http://www.snohd.org/Boh/Agenda/BOHAgenda2_12_13.pdf

SNOHOMISH HEALTH DISTRICT 13-03
    RESOLUTION OF THE BOARD OF HEALTH
    RESOLUTION NUMBER: 13-03

RESOLUTION SUBJECT: A RESOLUTION calling on lawmakers to take meaningful action to address gun violence and committing to supporting efforts to reduce gun violence and supports a strong mental health system which includes prevention and early intervention services.

WHEREAS, gun violence is one of the leading causes of premature death in the United States, and

WHEREAS, the number of Americans who die each year from gun violence (which is 31,000 in 2010)exceeds the number of babies who die each year during their first year of life (which is 25,000), or people who die from AIDS (which is 9,000), or people who die from illicit drugs (which is 17,000), and

WHEREAS, lawmakers pass protective measures for other threats to the public’s health, such as seat belt and impaired driving laws, childhood vaccinations and regulations around the safety of our drinking water, food and other products, and

WHEREAS, from 2007 to 2011, 2,874 Washington state residents died as a result of gun violence, and

WHEREAS, from 2007 to 2011, 238 Snohomish County residents died as a result of gun violence and an additional 110 residents were hospitalized due to nonfatal firearm injuries, and
    WHEREAS, of the Snohomish County gun deaths from 2007 to 2011, 35 were homicide, and 199 were self-inflicted, and

WHEREAS, suicide accounts for the greatest number of gun-related deaths in the United States and in Snohomish County, and

WHEREAS, from 2007 to 2011, the average annual cost of firearm fatalities and nonfatal hospitalizations in Snohomish County was $60 million in medical costs and lost productivity, and

WHEREAS, mass shooting events in the United States continue to occur, such as the 2012 massacres in Tucson, Arizona; Aurora, Colorado; and Newtown, Connecticut; and here in Seattle, Washington last June, and

WHEREAS, other countries have a much lower gun-related mortality rate; the United States homicide rate is 30 times higher than that of Australia, France or the United Kingdom, and

WHEREAS, there are known strategies that can potentially reduce gun violence that our lawmakers can explore, and

WHEREAS, mental health services must also be a priority to reduce both suicide and homicide rates;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of Health of Snohomish County:

A. The Board of Health calls on federal and state lawmakers to take meaningful action to address
    gun violence; and

B. The Board of Health calls on the legislature to assure adequate funding for preventive and early intervention services and access to mental health treatment.
    Last edited by Nebulis01; 03-11-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Snohomish County Board of Health - Resolution in support of gun control

It would be great with all of why's and wherefore's if someone in the know would check their facts and figures and see if they are spin!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter View Post
    It would be great with all of why's and wherefore's if someone in the know would check their facts and figures and see if they are spin!
    This ones is probably correct...
    WHEREAS, of the Snohomish County gun deaths from 2007 to 2011, 35 were homicide, and 199 were self-inflicted, and
    I would love to see the Snohomish County 'CAR' deaths from 2007 to 2011. Further a break-down of sporty looking cars vs non-sporty looking cars.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post

I would love to see the Snohomish County 'CAR' deaths from 2007 to 2011. Further a break-down of sporty looking cars vs non-sporty looking cars.
    Oh, and how many involved alcohol vs non, single vehicle vs multi, passengers who died vs just driver, etc.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post

How many of those are Cop's shooting Drunks in the back of the head while they are in their car, or Surprised homeowners holding a TV remote control when the swat team busts unannounced into the wrong house during a drug raid?
    Last edited by Right Wing Wacko; 02-08-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Re: Snohomish County Board of Health - Resolution in support of gun control

I talked to Koster. He said he will be voting no to the resolution. Hopefully others will as well.

Scott
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

Re: Snohomish County Board of Health - Resolution in support of gun control

God, it's like that thing was written by an angry middle school student! Also, there are more than a few of these whereas' that are either untrue, or very misleading. I especially like where they claim that the US has 30 time the murder rate of the US. It's a flat out lie that they are trying to sneak in with the cover of talking about "gun violence" right before it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Just wanted to remind you all this is today, hope some of you show up and voice your opinion.

There was no quorum at the meeting yesterday, as such no action was taken. Sadly nobody else showed up. I shall post another announcement when the meeting has been rescheduled.

Bump, the meeting was never rescheduled and the issue is on the agenda for tomorrow's regular monthly meeting. I would urge anyone that can to attend, I was the only person there last time

If you'd like to reach out to any of the people who didn't attended the February meeting they are as follows:

Mr. Somer, Mr. Affholter, Mr. Joplin, Mr. Koster, Mr. Little, Ms. Lonergan-Dreke, Mr. Richards, Mr. Sullivan
    Last edited by Nebulis01; 03-11-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Presumably they will be calling on the Fedcoats to stop their gun violence and drone violence against innocent Pakistanis and Afghans, too.

And, the violence that gets American young men killed over in that part of the world.

And, I wouldn't mind an anti-gun violence initiative aimed at SWAT raids in this country.

Lots and lots of room for government to end gun violence before it starts trying to disarm Americans for specious reasons.
    Last edited by Citizen; 03-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    well, to lower health care costs, super explosive ammo should be developed wherein 1 hit instantly kills where ever it hits .. then no more injuries

I think they have these things in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day, on purpose to keep the responsible adults away. Hard to make it when you work 8-5 Mon-Fri and are 50+ miles away.....

Resolution passed unanimously with no topic discussion

Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post
    I talked to Koster. He said he will be voting no to the resolution. Hopefully others will as well.

Scott
    Was he lying then or is he lying now?

It appears to me to be an appeal for more $$$ and a political statement since in this instance, it carries no weight to do anything.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...com/Resolution

[I]NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of Health of Snohomish County:

A. The Board of Health calls on federal and state lawmakers to take meaningful action to address
    gun violence; and

B. The Board of Health calls on the legislature to assure adequate funding for preventive and early intervention services and access to mental health treatment.[/I]

....Are BOH committee members elected in SC or appointee's ?...
    Last edited by jt59; 03-13-2013 at 07:20 AM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Was he lying then or is he lying now?

It appears to me to be an appeal for more $$$ and a political statement since in this instance, it carries no weight to do anything.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...com/Resolution

[I]NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of Health of Snohomish County:

gun violence; and

B. The Board of Health calls on the legislature to assure adequate funding for preventive and early intervention services and access to mental health treatment.[/I]

....Are BOH committee members elected in SC or appointee's ?...
    Mr. Koster was not present at the February or March BOH meetings. To my knowledge the board consists of 15 persons, all appointed elected officials. We have a number of county council members and then various districts throughout the county appoint local elected officials (mayors, city council, etc) to represent them. The makeup of the board is decided by decree of the county council at large, any change to how the board is made up or who sits on it would have to be done through them.