• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Snohomish County Board of Health - Resolution in support of gun control

Nebulis01

All,

The Snohomish County Board of Health will be considering passing a resolution in support of ‘meaningful action to address gun violence’ at their upcoming general board meeting this Tuesday. I strongly urge you to voice your opinion either way on the matter and let your board members know. You are welcome to attend in person as it is a public meeting. Below is a list of the county board members and various ways to contact them. Also below is the draft resolution with a link to the full agenda.

Voice your opinion!

WHEN: Tuesday 13MAR2013 3:00PM
WHERE: 3020 Rucker Ave, Everett, WA 98201 – Auditorium

2013 Board of Health Members

City of Stanwood – Diane White mayor@ci.stanwood.wa.us – 360-629-2181
City of Marysville – Donna Wright dwright@marysvillewa.gov 360-659-7027
City of Mukilteo – Linda Grafer lgrafer@ci.mukilteo.wa.us 425-263-8018
City of Everett – Shannon Affholter saffholter@ci.everett.wa.us 425-257-8703
City of Edmonds – Adrienne Fraley-Monillas adrienne.monillas@ci.edmonds.wa.us 206-890-4562
City of Lynnwood – Kerri Longeran-Dreke klonergan@ci.lynnwood.wa.us
City of Snohomish – Karen Guzak (2013 Chair) guzak@ci.snohomish.wa.us 360-568-1000
City of Lake Stevens – Vern Little vlittle@ci.lake-stevens.wa.us 425-334-1012
City of Brier – John Joplins jjoplin@ci.brier.wa.us 425-775-5440
City of Mountlake Terrace – Seaun Richardscityhall@ci.mlt.wa.us 425-776-6846
Snohomish County Council – John Koster John.Koster@snoco.org 425-388-3494
Snohomish County Council – Brian Sullivan Brian.Sullivan@snoco.org -388-3494
Snohomish County Council – Dave Somers Dave.Somers@snoco.org 425-388-3494
Snohomish County Council – Stephanie Wright stephanie.wright@snoco.org 425-388-3494
Snohomish County Council – Dave Gossett Dave.Gossett@snoco.org 425-388-3494

Board of Health Website - http://www.snohd.org/Boh/Default.aspx

Full Agenda - http://www.snohd.org/Boh/Agenda/BOHAgenda2_12_13.pdf

SNOHOMISH HEALTH DISTRICT 13-03
RESOLUTION OF THE BOARD OF HEALTH
RESOLUTION NUMBER: 13-03

RESOLUTION SUBJECT: A RESOLUTION calling on lawmakers to take meaningful action to address gun violence and committing to supporting efforts to reduce gun violence and supports a strong mental health system which includes prevention and early intervention services.

WHEREAS, gun violence is one of the leading causes of premature death in the United States, and

WHEREAS, the number of Americans who die each year from gun violence (which is 31,000 in 2010)exceeds the number of babies who die each year during their first year of life (which is 25,000), or people who die from AIDS (which is 9,000), or people who die from illicit drugs (which is 17,000), and

WHEREAS, lawmakers pass protective measures for other threats to the public’s health, such as seat belt and impaired driving laws, childhood vaccinations and regulations around the safety of our drinking water, food and other products, and

WHEREAS, from 2007 to 2011, 2,874 Washington state residents died as a result of gun violence, and

WHEREAS, from 2007 to 2011, 238 Snohomish County residents died as a result of gun violence and an additional 110 residents were hospitalized due to nonfatal firearm injuries, and
WHEREAS, of the Snohomish County gun deaths from 2007 to 2011, 35 were homicide, and 199 were self-inflicted, and

WHEREAS, suicide accounts for the greatest number of gun-related deaths in the United States and in Snohomish County, and

WHEREAS, from 2007 to 2011, the average annual cost of firearm fatalities and nonfatal hospitalizations in Snohomish County was $60 million in medical costs and lost productivity, and

WHEREAS, mass shooting events in the United States continue to occur, such as the 2012 massacres in Tucson, Arizona; Aurora, Colorado; and Newtown, Connecticut; and here in Seattle, Washington last June, and

WHEREAS, other countries have a much lower gun-related mortality rate; the United States homicide rate is 30 times higher than that of Australia, France or the United Kingdom, and

WHEREAS, there are known strategies that can potentially reduce gun violence that our lawmakers can explore, and

WHEREAS, mental health services must also be a priority to reduce both suicide and homicide rates;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of Health of Snohomish County:

A. The Board of Health calls on federal and state lawmakers to take meaningful action to address
gun violence; and

B. The Board of Health calls on the legislature to assure adequate funding for preventive and early intervention services and access to mental health treatment.

Last edited:

Haunter

It would be great with all of why's and wherefore's if someone in the know would check their facts and figures and see if they are spin!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
It would be great with all of why's and wherefore's if someone in the know would check their facts and figures and see if they are spin!

This ones is probably correct...
WHEREAS, of the Snohomish County gun deaths from 2007 to 2011, 35 were homicide, and 199 were self-inflicted, and

I would love to see the Snohomish County 'CAR' deaths from 2007 to 2011. Further a break-down of sporty looking cars vs non-sporty looking cars.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
This ones is probably correct...

I would love to see the Snohomish County 'CAR' deaths from 2007 to 2011. Further a break-down of sporty looking cars vs non-sporty looking cars.

How many of those are Cop's shooting Drunks in the back of the head while they are in their car, or Surprised homeowners holding a TV remote control when the swat team busts unannounced into the wrong house during a drug raid?

Last edited:

skeith5

I talked to Koster. He said he will be voting no to the resolution. Hopefully others will as well.

Scott

DamonK

God, it's like that thing was written by an angry middle school student! Also, there are more than a few of these whereas' that are either untrue, or very misleading. I especially like where they claim that the US has 30 time the murder rate of the US. It's a flat out lie that they are trying to sneak in with the cover of talking about "gun violence" right before it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Nebulis01

There was no quorum at the meeting yesterday, as such no action was taken. Sadly nobody else showed up. I shall post another announcement when the meeting has been rescheduled.

Nebulis01

Bump, the meeting was never rescheduled and the issue is on the agenda for tomorrow's regular monthly meeting. I would urge anyone that can to attend, I was the only person there last time :(

If you'd like to reach out to any of the people who didn't attended the February meeting they are as follows:

Mr. Somer, Mr. Affholter, Mr. Joplin, Mr. Koster, Mr. Little, Ms. Lonergan-Dreke, Mr. Richards, Mr. Sullivan

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Presumably they will be calling on the Fedcoats to stop their gun violence and drone violence against innocent Pakistanis and Afghans, too.

And, the violence that gets American young men killed over in that part of the world.

And, I wouldn't mind an anti-gun violence initiative aimed at SWAT raids in this country.

Lots and lots of room for government to end gun violence before it starts trying to disarm Americans for specious reasons.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
well, to lower health care costs, super explosive ammo should be developed wherein 1 hit instantly kills where ever it hits .. then no more injuries

compmanio365

I think they have these things in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day, on purpose to keep the responsible adults away. Hard to make it when you work 8-5 Mon-Fri and are 50+ miles away.....

jt59

I talked to Koster. He said he will be voting no to the resolution. Hopefully others will as well.

Scott

Was he lying then or is he lying now?

It appears to me to be an appeal for more $$$ and a political statement since in this instance, it carries no weight to do anything.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Resolution

A. The Board of Health calls on federal and state lawmakers to take meaningful action to address
gun violence; and

B. The Board of Health calls on the legislature to assure adequate funding for preventive and early intervention services and access to mental health treatment.[/I]

....Are BOH committee members elected in SC or appointee's ?...

Last edited:

bmg50cal

A-dog-and-pony-show-was-just-one-of-the-many-acts.jpg

Nebulis01

Was he lying then or is he lying now?

It appears to me to be an appeal for more $$$ and a political statement since in this instance, it carries no weight to do anything.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Resolution

gun violence; and

B. The Board of Health calls on the legislature to assure adequate funding for preventive and early intervention services and access to mental health treatment.[/I]

....Are BOH committee members elected in SC or appointee's ?...

Mr. Koster was not present at the February or March BOH meetings. To my knowledge the board consists of 15 persons, all appointed elected officials. We have a number of county council members and then various districts throughout the county appoint local elected officials (mayors, city council, etc) to represent them. The makeup of the board is decided by decree of the county council at large, any change to how the board is made up or who sits on it would have to be done through them.