• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Someone explain Virginia " Common Law" to a new resident

TFred

I'll do it anyway, rhetorical or not. Bare fear, or fear alone without more, does not justify the use of force at all. It is irrelevant to whether or not force is necessary. A reasonably held, good faith belief, based on objective fact, is necessary, and may or may not be held in conjunction with fear. One case says that we don't care how brave or timid the defender may be. So emotional reactions, or voices from the back of one's head, without a reasonably held, good faith belief, based on objective fact, doesn't create the necessity for self-defense, neither does it obviate that necessity. How y'all like them apples?
Perhaps you could offer a ridiculous example that would help explain this. Suppose someone had an intense fear of grasshoppers. I'm sure that there have been a handful of people who for one reason or another, have become absolutely, even if irrationally afraid of grasshoppers. Now if someone comes along with a small box full of chirping grasshoppers, and threatens to dump them on the head of this fearful person, there may be all kinds of observable evidence that the person was intensely fearful of the situation. But I don't believe that would give justification to use deadly force to prevent a grasshopper shower, no matter how afraid the person might be.

User, does that work? Or maybe that just adds unnecessary complications.

TFred

user

Accomplished Advocate
Correct; you have learned, Grasshopper. Hence the phrase, "reasonably held". Similarly, a person may have an irrational fear of being touched by others. But Howie Mandel doesn't have the right to shoot someone just because that person maliciously threatens to touch him. On the other hand, if the person is threatening to touch him with the pointy end of a Bowie knife, he does have the right to shoot, because, although afraid, he also has the apprehension of an immediate battery likely to cause serious bodily injury. Now, if we substitute Bruce Lee for Howie Mandel, he might have no fear at all, because he knows he can overcome the attack. But even though he is fearless, he still has the right to overcome the attack by whatever means are reasonably necessary.

"Fear is not an option." - "True Lies".

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'll do it anyway, rhetorical or not. .... How y'all like them apples?

Well played. [/golf clap]

I notice you did elect to take the stroke regarding the difference between imminent and immediate. Discretion is the better part, and all that.

stay safe.

BillB

When someone can argue what the meaning of is is, I'm not all that confident that the meaning of reasonable is, eh, reasonably consistent.

user

Accomplished Advocate
When someone can argue what the meaning of is is, I'm not all that confident that the meaning of reasonable is, eh, reasonably consistent.

"Reasonable" is, like this, see, I see it this way. You know, the way I'm seeing it right now. That's what "reasonable" means.

Last edited: