• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey it just might take an entire village- everybody listed on birth certificate soon

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You must not understand the difference between a legal parent and a biological parent, or the financial implications attending in both directions to legal parentage.

Personally I am all in favor of sperm donors being held legally responsible for that what they helped to spawn. Further, given the shakey track record to date of same-sex marriages with children, having a legal father in the picture saves the kid from becoming the prize in a tug of war contest between folks who sudenly decide that the lifelong commitment was not what they were looking for. Presuming the sperm donor actually wants to be involved in the life of his spawn, being a legal parent allows him to do so as opposed to being involved only at the sufference of the biological mother and partner.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You must not understand the difference between a legal parent and a biological parent,

Legal v biological .... not tough concepts to understand ....

Oh wait, I thought that BCs intent was to ID the parents ... not the goofy world of 20 sperm donors and 20 egg donors used to produce a kid ...

In theory then 1,000,000 folks can be listed on a BC.

The history of same sex marriages is really too young to fully understand .. its only been a few year.

I liked reading laws about gay marriage ... funny. They were written different than normal marriages and some had divorces to be "you get what you had before" senarios

Ca Patriot

I would caution all men to NOT become sperm donors and especially for lesbian women.

Freedom1Man

You must not understand the difference between a legal parent and a biological parent, or the financial implications attending in both directions to legal parentage.

Personally I am all in favor of sperm donors being held legally responsible for that what they helped to spawn. Further, given the shakey track record to date of same-sex marriages with children, having a legal father in the picture saves the kid from becoming the prize in a tug of war contest between folks who sudenly decide that the lifelong commitment was not what they were looking for. Presuming the sperm donor actually wants to be involved in the life of his spawn, being a legal parent allows him to do so as opposed to being involved only at the sufference of the biological mother and partner.

stay safe.

Why?

Unless I make a "direct deposit," the choice to have the child is 100% theirs.

If I make a deposit at a "bank" and not to the customer, then why should I be made liable?

If I made a deposit at at "bank" then I have no control over who receives the 'loan' at all. I also have no control over how many loans are made from my deposit, nor have I any control of how the loans are made. 1 deposit has the potential to yield millions of loans. So if in vitro is used then one sperm donor can father hundreds of children from one donation. That would wipe out any man.

Also, where does the state get the right to enslave one parent on behalf of another parent without a crime being committed and most of the time without even a day in a court in law?

By the logic I perceive you using then the egg donators should be held liable for all of the offspring that they had a hand in creating.

"I" in this context is any male and only being used to ease further discussion.

Freedom1Man

I would caution all men to NOT become sperm donors and especially for lesbian women.
What you said.

Of course if you do, ignore the (good) advice Ca Patriot offered and, "donate" don't give your name, address, anything, and use a drop phone to communicate with them with.

Wear a mask.

Edit====

This previous 'advice' was made in jest. Acting upon or not is your choice to make.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

Hey it just might take an entire village- everybody listed on birth certificate

Personally I am all in favor of sperm donors being held legally responsible for that what they helped to spawn. Further, given the shakey track record to date of same-sex marriages with children, ...

I feel that only current or former spouses should be held to support offspring. If a woman elects to procreate (or does so accidentally and keeps the child), then it is her choice and she should not be able to obligate the father.

As to your second thought in that quote, I'd ask for a citation, but it was probably a simple misunderstanding. There were about 901,997 same sex households in the US at the time of the 2010 census. Roughly 11% of male-male households and 21% of female-female households had children living in them.
http://www.census.gov/hhes/samesex/

ADobbs1989

Legal v biological .... not tough concepts to understand ....

Oh wait, I thought that BCs intent was to ID the parents ... not the goofy world of 20 sperm donors and 20 egg donors used to produce a kid ...

In theory then 1,000,000 folks can be listed on a BC.

The history of same sex marriages is really too young to fully understand .. its only been a few year.

I liked reading laws about gay marriage ... funny. They were written different than normal marriages and some had divorces to be "you get what you had before" senarios

Huh? Only two people can be the Biological Parents. One Male and one Female.

ADobbs1989

I feel that only current or former spouses should be held to support offspring. If a woman elects to procreate (or does so accidentally and keeps the child), then it is her choice and she should not be able to obligate the father.

I disagree, that's sexism. The man plays just as vital of a role in creating a child as the woman does. The father should be held with the same responsibility. I don't feel that this should be applicable to sperm donors though, as that would be asinine. The only people that should be held responsible in that case would be the person, or couple who buy the sperm.

nonameisgood

Hey it just might take an entire village- everybody listed on birth certificate

A man has no say in whether a woman takes a pill, has an abortion, does appropriate prenatal care, keeps a child, or any number of other things which would obligate him to a lifetime of unlimited obligation. I'm not suggesting serial impregnators who F and run are blameless, only that they aren't really in the driver's seat here. And a father can't simply take the child and tell the mom to pay, as a mom can do to the father.

I have an ex-BIL who found out about a daughter 5 years after a prior relationship ended, when the mother (who neglected to tell him about said child) filed for welfare so she could "go back to school". The state came after him for back support and now he is out 25-35% of his monthly income.
And don't get me started on the percentage of income thing. There should be a flat rate, based on geography, not how successful the father is in a business or career.

david.ross

Unfortunately states have different perspectives on the meaning of birth certificates. IMO a birth certificate should only list biological parents, regardless of legal parents or guardians.

Anyway, what do you expect, we're talking about Florida. :)

They were written different than normal marriages and some had divorces to be "you get what you had before" senarios

Pennsylvania marriage law is the "you get what you had before" with an addendum any earnings during the marriage is equally split. This is of course so one side can't just take the 300k house which was purchased before marriage.