• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dad goes to surgery tomorrow

mpguy

Sitting here, and decided to read up on the three stents, they are going to put in him tomorrow. Providing they don't find anything worse, is there much to worry about?

Sent from my Motorola Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2

sharkey

All surgery carries risk but my mother has had several with no issues. So don't worry. :)

Ca Patriot

I assume the stents are for coronary arteries ?

If they are done endovascularly then its a pretty straightforward procedure and low complication rate and good success.

dmatting

Sitting here, and decided to read up on the three stents, they are going to put in him tomorrow. Providing they don't find anything worse, is there much to worry about?

I could tell you about particular complications that may arise, but what would be the point in doing that? Sure you would have the knowledge but wouldn't that simply make the time spent waiting even more stressful? I'm talking from experience of one who had to be in the waiting room during an emergent situation where someone did come back and started telling me about complications that actually happened. The stress prior to that point was high enough.

Good luck to your father. These procedures, while having inherent risks associated with them, are very common these days and the doctors that perform them have done them many thousands of times - at the hospital where we go, the docs who do the heart catheterizations do them all day long every day. Hopefully your father went in fully aware of the risks involved. There are never enough questions that can and should be asked regarding any procedure.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Odd, I thought stents were being shied away from due to the long term effectiveness..

Hope the procedure turns out well..

mpguy

Well good news, after the cat was done, they decided against stents. It wasn't add bad as the ct showed. There are 2 others spots to watch, but they think with medication, and diet, he should be OK.

Ca Patriot

Well good news, after the cat was done, they decided against stents. It wasn't add bad as the ct showed. There are 2 others spots to watch, but they think with medication, and diet, he should be OK.

Good thing today is that cardiac CT is now about 96% as accurate as catheter based angiograms. This is great news for patients since they dont have to endure the risks and time of the catheter angios.

I have had a few of each and i'll take a CT over the DSA anyday.