• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thigh rigs: Acceptable? or too tacti-cool?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Thigh-rigs are tacti-cool, no doubt. But, what the heck, I wouldn't comment adversely if I saw someone wearing one. For all I know, he could only afford one holster.

Of course, style and coordination are important. Thigh-rigs go best with leopard-skin speedos. Even better if you're a bit overweight and hairy. (Chicks dig that combination.) According to the latest from the Italian mens' fashion houses, thigh-rigs are definitely out for formal and semi-formal evening wear. :p

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Thigh-rigs are tacti-cool, no doubt. But, what the heck, I wouldn't comment adversely if I saw someone wearing one. For all I know, he could only afford one holster.

Of course, style and coordination are important. Thigh-rigs go best with leopard-skin speedos. Even better if you're a bit overweight and hairy. According to the latest from the Italian mens' fashion houses, thigh-rigs are definitely out for formal and semi-formal evening wear. :p

Thanks, I had forgot there was strict fashion rules for OCing. Good thing you remembered them or the fashion police might be arresting Mike.:rolleyes:

MainelyGlock

I think thigh-rigs are a little aggressive, but hey, use what works for you, and what's comfortable. If it's a blizzard like it is up here, not many will see it anyways! I've worn one a few times coming back from the range/pit I go to. I feel weird doing it, though.

mpguy

Of course, style and coordination are important. Thigh-rigs go best with leopard-skin speedos. Even better if you're a bit overweight and hairy. (Chicks dig that combination.) According to the latest from the Italian mens' fashion houses, thigh-rigs are definitely out for formal and semi-formal evening wear. :p

My wife saw this, and referenced how the guys from magic mike would look cool in thigh holsters...please don't give her no more ideas..:p

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

McLintock

I've been knowin to wear my six-shooter with my western gun belt. But if anyone thinks it odd or "uncool" its their problem not yours.;)

NoTolerance

I also have the thigh rig for my iTac holster. This thing fits perfectly, is extremely comfortable...but...well, it kinda makes me look like a ******.

I can't bring myself to wear mine for the exact same reason. Though *I* know my intent isn't to provoke attention, a thigh rig is hard to ignore and I sure *feel like* that's how I'm being perceived.

I've found that the short walk to/from the vehicle to/from any business can be handled easily enough without a jacket, allowing me to use a standard OC holster. Extended walks down Main Street might be a little different, though.

nonameisgood

I ended up wearing dark blue 5.11 pants out this morning. (I was late getting up and had a drs appointment), and felt a bit uneasy. I never have a self-image problem when I'm in tan BDUs. Cops have ruined it for us. I think the holster may be the same. If it isn't black, it's probably ok. <wink>

NoTolerance

I'm not saying it's an entirely rational response - which is why I emphasized the "feel like" part. I'm really comfortable in my jogging pants and slippers, but I'm not about to spend a day running errands dressed that way.

While I actually agree with WalkingWolf's point that "[a]nybody that would react to a holster or where it is worn is a lost cause for us anyway," it's the aggressive/defiant nature of seemingly being "in your face" about it that I - personally, for me - have a hard time with.

Maybe when we get closer to reaching that goal of "normalization" it won't be such an issue for me.

Wolfgang1952

I’ve been known to go western and then military web with hip extender and then dressy with a hip hugger. It all depends on what I want to carry, a six shooter or an auto.

010a.jpg

011.jpg

And for every day I wear my Bianchi Military Web.

029A.jpg

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I don't care for them for myself. Rigs like this would get in my way in my car and perhaps my truck as well. But definitely in my car. As for the message it "may" send to others, one poster already mentioned that if it got someone in a fit, they were probably already tainted with anti-poison anyway. The fence sitters might be prone to being less acceptable with these rigs than with a simple belt holster. I have been in the presence of someone wearing one of these rigs at a lunch at a Five Guys and no one in the restaurant seemed to care. There was one patron who would glance at our table here and there, but then we were all openly carrying so I can't say he was fixating on just one person.

Last edited:

Wolfgang1952

Like Last Gun Fighter said I prefer western style holsters and my Military Web is as close I can get to western for my Sig or my Colt. I don’t care what other people think, its my chose.

007a1a1.jpg

010a-1.jpg

023.jpg

033.jpg

029A.jpg

KYGlockster

Activist Member
"Remember man as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so you shall be. Prepare for death and follow me."

WolfGang, this is one of the BEST quotes I have read in a long time. Who said this?

NoTolerance

"Remember man as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so you shall be. Prepare for death and follow me."

WolfGang, this is one of the BEST quotes I have read in a long time. Who said this?

The source seems to be unknown and has been in common use on gravestones for a few hundred years in America. Then there are earlier variations throughout the world.

gunslinger493

I have a Serpa thigh rig that I routinely use to open carry my SIG P220 match. It is by far the most comfortable holster that I have. Being in Arizona, where open carry is very much accepted I have had only one experience when last summer while at Starbucks, some anti called the cops with MWAG call. The encounter went fine and I figure that no matter what type of holster you use, an anti gun person is going to disapprove.

MY SIG2.jpg

And yes I have gotten complements on the Hello Kitty Stickers!

Last edited:

Beau

Carry in a way that works for you. Whatever factors you use in making your decision on how to carry are your business. You don't have to justify yourself to anyone.

I like thigh rigs but don't have one. In fact I was just looking at one on blade-tech.com to use when riding my motorcycle or horses.

punisherprice

I've been knowin to wear my six-shooter with my western gun belt. But if anyone thinks it odd or "uncool" its their problem not yours.;)

^i also do the same here in nevada. .32 mag or .45 colt. Ive also wondered about OCing with an IWB holster like the two girls at the top banner....but to stay on topic, I did see a drop-leg here in vegas at a 7-11. my first reaction was he was a plainclothes LEO lol. He also had the black cargo pants to go along with his awesomeness...:cool:

WalkingWolf

^i also do the same here in nevada. .32 mag or .45 colt. Ive also wondered about OCing with an IWB holster like the two girls at the top banner....but to stay on topic, I did see a drop-leg here in vegas at a 7-11. my first reaction was he was a plainclothes LEO lol. He also had the black cargo pants to go along with his awesomeness...:cool:
I made my wife a PVC IWB holster yesterday, she had been asking for one. But when she got home and tried it she said it was uncomfortable, my reply' "I told you so" I love saying that, LOL.

I find drop, or duty holsters, standing or walking the most comfortable, though inconvenient while sitting in deep bucket seats in most cars. The bench seats of old squad cars were more comfortable wearing guns, but then, even with a seat belt, I tended to slide across the seat in curves and turns. I bought a couple of surplus french police swivel duty holsters, they are very comfortable.

Last edited: