• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alert about CHP information

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm going to sit this one out but I expect most of you will want to send your own opinions to counter the protest.
[h=1]LAST-MINUTE AMENDMENTS WOULD CLOSE OFF ACCESS TO ALL CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT APPLICATIONS[/h]

The public will have no ability to monitor government
regulation of constitutionally protected activity.

As originally written, SB 1335 (Obenshain) would have allowed clerks of court to withhold applications of people who have presented a certified copy of a protective order.

We did not oppose the original version of this bill. We have said all along that individuals with protective orders should be able to get a judge to seal their application. The bill proposed not a sealing order, but a similar confidentiality provision.

That’s how the bill went through the Senate. No objections, no amendments.

Then, it goes into a House subcommittee -- at 7:30 a.m. Thursday morning -- and comes out with an amendment -- now a substitute -- to close off access to all CPS. ALL of them. The bill then went to the full committee this morning at 8 a.m. and was passed on a 16-6 vote.*

We urge everyone to contact the members of
the House to express your opposition to this bill.

Here is WHY we oppose the substitute:

The government has determined it will regulate this area
of personal property ownership that can be presumed
to be constitutionally protected activity.

• When the government gets to say yes or no to someone having a concealed handgun,
  • When the government heavily regulates the standards by which concealed gun ownership is permitted,
  • When the government allows permits to be used as a form of identification to vote,
  • THEN THE PUBLIC MUST BE ABLE TO SEE FOR ITSELF WHETHER THE GOVERNMENT REGULATION IS CONDUCTED CORRECTLY.
Click here for a list of House Delegates.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ah yes, but if this amended bill is defeated, then Napkeeper's personal information/address can be obtained and published.

Urge your representatives to vote YES - keep CHP information confidential. It isn't just about people with protective orders. It is also about not providing stop n' shop locations for criminals wishing to steal guns.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ah yes, but if this amended bill is defeated, then Napkeeper's personal information/address can be obtained and published.

Urge your representatives to vote YES - keep CHP information confidential. It isn't just about people with protective orders. It is also about not providing stop n' shop locations for criminals wishing to steal guns.

Yeah, it will.
OTOH, she knew it when she got the CHP. It's one of those negative things about asking permission.

I'm neutral on the bill. While it will be a good thing generally for CHP holders, we worked very hard to bring the Government into the sunshine. I'm reluctant to add a little cloud layer here and there.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Urgent Action Item from VCDL

Urgent Action Item: Let's protect the private information on ALL CHP holders!

Great news!

Last night the Militia, Police and Public Safety subcommittee #1 approved a substitute bill for Senator Obenshain's SB 1335. As you might recall, SB 1335 prohibited the Clerk of Court from giving out any information on a CHP holder who has a protective order out against somebody.

The substitute is much better - it exempts ALL permit holders from having their information disseminated by the Circuit Court Clerks! No more newspapers printing the names and other information on permit holders, endangering lives!

The new bill makes it even safer for those with protective orders, as they don't have to do anything extra to protect their information - they (and you and I) are all covered 24/7!

Even the Circuit Court Clerk's professional organization likes this bill.

I want to thank Board member Dennis O'Connor for filling in for me at the subcommittee hearing (I was in Craig County with the shooting range issue).

This morning the full Militia, Police and Public Safety committee met and passed the bill out to the Floor by an 11 to 4 vote.

(As a side note, Andrew Goddard told the full committee that what they did in subcommittee to change the bill was "underhanded." That did not go over well, especially since the change was done openly and in the normal fashion in subcommittee. Goddard had decided not to attend last night's subcommittee hearing. That's his fault, not the subcommittee's fault. Delegate Lingamfelter took Goddard to task, saying that the subcommittee was simply doing business as usual and that Goddard's beef would be better summed up as simply not liking the substitute bill. Goddard finally gave half an apology, but I believe even his allies on the committee were embarrassed.)

NOW THE WORK BEGINS!

We need to get an email out urgently to our Delegates to make sure they support this important bill!

Click here to send a pre-written (but editable) email to your Delegate (takes a few seconds to do):

http://tinyurl.com/a7tocwp

TFred

I'm going to sit this one out but I expect most of you will want to send your own opinions to counter the protest.
It just kills me reading the propaganda from these hypocrites. They put out their plea in terms written to do their very best to convince CHP holders that it is in their best interest to have their names and addresses open for any criminal to come and collect.

If anyone gets any face time with Megan Rhyne, please ask her for the record, how many CHP permits they have reviewed, and more importantly found to be in error and have then had corrected, during the past one or five years.

Peter Nap, I certainly respect your right to stay neutral, and I completely understand why, but given the fact that these clearly anti-gun folks use this loophole in the privacy protection of law abiding citizens as a tool to intimidate, shame and treat as common criminals, I really don't think you would be betraying your CHP stance to admit this is not good for anyone. :)

TFred

TFred

By the way, not to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for supporting this bill... the fight will be in the Senate, especially in the Courts of Justice Committee! This bill, as amended, is the exact same as HB 25 from last year, which passed the House easily (81-17). Then it was killed on an 8-7 vote in the Senate's Courts of Justice Committee, at the betrayal of the Chairman, Senator Norment (R!) from the Virginia Peninsula, southeast of Richmond.

We will certainly need to make our support known, especially given the angry propaganda that the other side will spew, but the real fight is yet to come.

TFred

Snazuolu

interesting...it said in the article that there were 297,600 people with a concealed permit, in-state. Not including those who are out of state, i did some math. It said in one of the comments that 5% of Virginians have a permit. By my math, only 3.63% have one. yea...its less than 2 percentage points, but for a state that seems to be overall pro-gun, i would have thought our percentages would be higher.

scouser

interesting...it said in the article that there were 297,600 people with a concealed permit, in-state. Not including those who are out of state, i did some math. It said in one of the comments that 5% of Virginians have a permit. By my math, only 3.63% have one. yea...its less than 2 percentage points, but for a state that seems to be overall pro-gun, i would have thought our percentages would be higher.

yeah, but the permit is only for concealing a handgun. You can be pro-gun without concealing a handgun, for instance the OP. What about the people who might only possess long guns? A permit is meaningless to them but that doesn't mean they are not pro-gun.

Regardless of the above, if Goddard or any of his idiot cronies think it's a good idea for the public to be able to see that I have a CHP, I dare them to say it to my face, I already have my response ready, something along the lines of "please return to Blighty very quickly".

TFred

yeah, but the permit is only for concealing a handgun. You can be pro-gun without concealing a handgun, for instance the OP. What about the people who might only possess long guns? A permit is meaningless to them but that doesn't mean they are not pro-gun.

Regardless of the above, if Goddard or any of his idiot cronies think it's a good idea for the public to be able to see that I have a CHP, I dare them to say it to my face, I already have my response ready, something along the lines of "please return to Blighty very quickly".
And take that idiot Piers Morgan with you! :)

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I don't have a permit....I guess that makes me anti??????????

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Permits are for people that want the government to give them permission to use their rights.
Also for those that want to play James Bond.

license-to-kill.jpg

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Andrew Goddard, a gun-control advocate whose son Colin was wounded in the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre, protested the maneuver to no avail.

“This is not the same bill. This is an entirely different bill,” he told the committee. “I think it’s a very underhanded way of getting a bill passed.”

Pardon me a moment while I get a tissue.....I think that I feel a tear coming on....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Andrew Goddard, a gun-control advocate whose son Colin was wounded in the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre, protested the maneuver to no avail.

“This is not the same bill. This is an entirely different bill,” he told the committee. “I think it’s a very underhanded way of getting a bill passed.”

Pardon me a moment while I get a tissue.....I think that I feel a tear coming on....

I think the entire General Assembly shares your concern over Goddard..Jim.:lol: