• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private sales

Sorcice

Are private sales in ca legal? Family from ca are asking me. It is here in WI but wasn't sure out there.

March Hare

I'm pretty sure you have to go through an FFL.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

FAQ at California DOJ

Q:. What is the process for purchasing a firearm in California?

A: All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).

(PC Section 12071)

-MH

Last edited:

mjones

Are private sales in ca legal? Family from ca are asking me. It is here in WI but wasn't sure out there.

Direct Person to Person transfers, without Type1 FFL involvement, is generally illegal in CA.

The only exceptions that come to mind off the top of my head are:
Intrafamillial Transfer - Directly up/down a family tree. i.e. Grandfather to Grandson, Father to Daughter, etc.
There is also one that has something todo with Greater then 50 year old C&R Long Guns - I'm not sure if it requires an 03 C&R License or not.