• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conflict at hickory walmart

Ricky

Well after 5 yrs open carrying it was a matter of time. The greeter today a lady in her early 60's as I walked in threw me a curve.Only words she spoke as I got my buggy was "why do you feel you need to be armed, Period). I said excuse me as it caught me off guard. I felt my BP rise and I tried to answer without saying none of your business. Her 2nd words were that offends me. I said since you asked 1st off, its the law that I can carry. 2nd I said I carry to protect myself and my wife. She looked stunned and I said I'm sorry it offends you have a nice day, and continued on in. Now my wife having worked there in the past walked with me to the assistant Mgr desk and I told him he may need to talk to the greeter that I was offended she said what she said. I said the law was not up for her interpretation . Her opinion is different. I handed him a NC flyer which I had highlighted the main points. My wife knew an employee and we discussed it with her and she said this is not the first time this woman has done this. We checked out and I told the wife I would be in the truck, she proceeded to walk to the store Mgr office in the back and explain the whole situation. Needless to say with me and the gun out of the picture the wife tactfully unloaded a verbal whooping that left the lady speechless...Where it goes from here? I did tell the lady that it is Walmarts Corporate policy to follow the law of the state that the walmart resides in. I have had maybe 5 encounters with people asking about my gun but this one crawled all over me. I know I was red faced but managed to hold my composure and temper. Lesson, there will be that one that will push your buttons...be ready...

WalkingWolf

Personally I would have told her "too bad, get over it" and walked away. But then I am what many people call a donkey.

Ricky

Ok I need a translator what offended you? The fact that she asked why you felt you needed to carry?

bad choice of words...How about attitude and pissed me off...that's how I really felt. We can't be all having good days 24/7 and she just pissed me off. It's none of her Damn business, period...... It's not her job to say "why do you feel you need to be armed"....it's her job to say welcome to Walmart, period...........

KainVictus

True it isn't her business and while I agree with line wolf I personally would have seen this as a good teaching opportunity. But that's if I'm having a good day.

Ricky

True it isn't her business and while I agree with line wolf I personally would have seen this as a good teaching opportunity. But that's if I'm having a good day.
All other contacts have been good with the opportunity to educate the person, but it was "I guess you would have had to be there moment". This woman was so closed minded and flat out rude it just hit me wrong from all sides. Maybe another day............

Ken56

I have not so far have had a negative encounter like that. Any comments to me have been supportive about my carry. This does get me to think that if I should have anything like your experience happen to me I think I will respond with " I carry to protect my wife and myself. If it offends you so much I promise I won't use it to protect YOU." Your follow through with management was most appropriate. good for you.

Last edited:

Ricky

I have not so far have had a negative encounter like that. Any comments to me have been supportive about my carry. This does get me to think that if I should have anything like your experience happen to me I think I will respond with " I carry to protect my wife and myself. If it offends you so much I promise I won't use it to protect YOU." Your follow through with management was most appropriate. good for you.

Yea I should have used that one, but this woman just plain threw me off. I was like Carl Childers on the move Slingblade...I just saw red...lol

papa bear

hope i don't offend you RICKY, but maybe you need to cut back on the coffee.

i know we all have off days that we don't say the right thing, but i think you just missed a good education event. now i don't know if the woman was just ignorant and asked a question to get information. or maybe just joking. some do this just to break the ice either way. you could have given her a good and positive answer. but now she is going to have an image of OCs as surly rude people. that should be challenged on their carry.

i get, "oh, i'm not going to mess with you, you have a gun". to which case i reply this firearm is for your and my safety, and the only time it would be drawn is if you or i was in danger. that's where they are usauly joking.

hope to have you up to Mayberry for a meet and greet sometime

Last edited:

Ricky

hope i don't offend you RICKY, but maybe you need to cut back on the coffee.

i know we all have off days that we don't say the right thing, but i think you just missed a good education event. now i don't know if the woman was just ignorant and asked a question to get information. or maybe just joking. some do this just to break the ice either way. you could have given her a good and positive answer. but now she is going to have an image of OCs as surly rude people. that should be challenged on their carry.

i get, "oh, i'm not going to mess with you, you have a gun". to which case i reply this firearm is for your and my safety, and the only time it would be drawn is if you or i was in danger. that's where they are usauly joking.

hope to have you up to Mayberry for a meet and greet sometime
LOL. Papa Bear it's all good. No offense taken...Your right I was just off my game. I had back surgery 2 days after Christmas and I guess due to my injury I have been limited as to where and what I could do and think I had a touch of cabin fever. I'll be ready next time.....

MKEgal

Ricky said:
It's not her job to say "why do you feel you need to be armed"...
it's her job to say "welcome to Walmart"
1) "why does WalMart need that information?"
[give her time to try to come up with an answer before going off to find the manager]
Since she's representing the company, obviously the question comes from the company & has some relevance to your visit to the store. :rolleyes:

2) "protection, education, and preservation of civil rights" [then walk off]

chiefjason

Well, the night guard is pretty cool if it's any consolation.

That's 2 in 2 weeks. Did you get a hair cut? Grow a beard? lol

I had an issue with the night manager in Granite Falls WM a while back. He still gives me the stink eye. But one of my funniest issues happened walking out of Hickory WM late one night. A couple of punk kids rolled up and started cursing at a lady loading her groceries by the door. I turned to go behind the car and the passenger saw my gun. He yells, "Dudes got a gun!" and the driver floors it and goes screeching out of the parking lot.

Moral of the story, OC saves little old ladies from cursing punk kids. hehe

Ricky

Well, the night guard is pretty cool if it's any consolation.

That's 2 in 2 weeks. Did you get a hair cut? Grow a beard? lol

I had an issue with the night manager in Granite Falls WM a while back. He still gives me the stink eye. But one of my funniest issues happened walking out of Hickory WM late one night. A couple of punk kids rolled up and started cursing at a lady loading her groceries by the door. I turned to go behind the car and the passenger saw my gun. He yells, "Dudes got a gun!" and the driver floors it and goes screeching out of the parking lot.

Moral of the story, OC saves little old ladies from cursing punk kids. hehe
Lol your right, guess I should have bought a lotto ticket this week with my luck. This huge back brace I wear after surgery looks like body armor, I don't know guess I need to stay inside awhile longer....lol

rotorhead

Yea I should have used that one, but this woman just plain threw me off. I was like Carl Childers on the move Slingblade...I just saw red...lol

I prefer "It's none of your damn business, bitch". :)