• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Form 4473: Serial Numbers

Thundar

You're probably right (Don't relax yet:uhoh:)

My wife bought a gun at Gander Mountain when they opened. Two weeks later she got a certified letter from Gander telling her she made a mistake and had to come in by X date.

That made me mad especially since Gander basically filled in the form for her.

I went in to have a tactful discussion with them. The Gun manager was a fat, loudmouth that thought it would be fun to bully me and tell me he was ex law enforcement. We had a meaningful discussion about ex law enforcement, active law enforcement his parents and their relationship as brother and sister.

After that he showed me the Certified Letter they had gotten from the ATF pointing out the error and requiring they correct it.

Now if no one sends in the information..... the ATF must have a team of telepathic lesbians immersed in a hot tub, with mind reading electrodes attached to their shaved heads.

I can only identify 3 situations where ATF could identify a deficiency in Virginia:

1) Multiple handgun sale - information from the FFL is sent directly to the ATF.

2) ATF compliance inspection reveals deficiency in Gander Mountain recordkeeping and/or 4473 paperwork.

3) ATF gun trace revealed a deficiency in the 4473 paperwork.

I assume this was not a multiple handgun sale, and that there was not a gun trace (1 & 3 above), so ATF saw that Gander Mountain did not record the serial # in either the bound book or the 4473. It may have been more serious, selling the firearm (could be multiple firearms to multiple buyers) before logging into the bound book.

Does anybody know if Gander Mountain uses an actual bound book or an electronic system? The electronic system was designed to eliminate problems, but gross errors, such as selling firearms before they are put in the electronic system can cause this sort of problem.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Last edited:

zoom6zoom

the forms are turned over once the bus. closes
The dealer can destroy them when they are twenty years old.

The entire idea of "universal" registration is flawed, as crooks certainly won't register guns, and felons are Constitutionally protected against failing to do so as it would be self incrimination.

Numenor

The dealer can destroy them when they are twenty years old.

The entire idea of "universal" registration is flawed, as crooks certainly won't register guns, and felons are Constitutionally protected against failing to do so as it would be self incrimination.

Wasn't that the reason SCOTUS tossed out most of the NFA back in the 60's?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I did a little digging into our Gander Mountain experience today and it looks like Thundar hit it dead on.

From what I understand, Gander Mountain was in hot water with the ATF over their record keeping before the Glen Allen store opened.

Their Grand opening paperwork got audited and there were a lot of errors.
This came from a former Gander Employee.

I was not the first person to have a friendly chat with the Gun Area Manager from what I'm told.

Last edited: