• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help for an out-of-towner

armedwalleye

Coming to Chicago next week by air, and driving a vehicle home. I have a Minnesota permit.

While I know what I need to do re: declaration at the airlines, hard case, etc, and know I can transport ammo with me by the same manner, what are my requirements on the ground in Chicago?

Having intentionally avoided travel to and through Illinois in the past as a result of severe limitations/outright ban, I now find myself heading into an adverse camp.

Am I safe to assume unloaded, encased, in the trunk, until I leave Illinois? Does Chicago proper have any other wierd rules I need to know about?

Once I leave the Land of Obama, I think I'm safe loaded in the vehicle through Wisconsin on the homeward ride.

Figures...the one place you'd be MORE likely to need the dang thing....

Thanks for any help.

junglebob

Coming to Chicago next week by air, and driving a vehicle home. I have a Minnesota permit.

While I know what I need to do re: declaration at the airlines, hard case, etc, and know I can transport ammo with me by the same manner, what are my requirements on the ground in Chicago?

Having intentionally avoided travel to and through Illinois in the past as a result of severe limitations/outright ban, I now find myself heading into an adverse camp.

Am I safe to assume unloaded, encased, in the trunk, until I leave Illinois? Does Chicago proper have any other wierd rules I need to know about?

Once I leave the Land of Obama, I think I'm safe loaded in the vehicle through Wisconsin on the homeward ride.

Figures...the one place you'd be MORE likely to need the dang thing....

Thanks for any help.

Unloaded encased in the trunk you're good. You can look at Chicago firearm ordinances yourself if you go to the Illinois State Police website www.isp.il.us and click on firearms/FOID and then on Chicago under municipal ordinances. Chicago ordinances say you are not in violation if you are transporting a firearm or ammunition while engaged in interstate travel in compliance with 18 U.S.C.A. 926A. If you are in the city over 24 hours it is assumed you aren't engaged in interstate travel. In most of Illinois you are O.K. transporting a firearm unloaded and encased even if a loaded magazine is in the case, it can be in the passenger compartment and courts have ruled that a console is a case. Having said that local ordinances on transport can mess you up and they are most likely in the Chicago area. BTW people do fly in and out of Chicago with firearms, it isn't like New Jersey.

Last edited:

kurt555gs

The rules on Transporting your firearm changed Nov 2012

Because of a number of court decisions transporting your firearm in Illinois has changed drastically. Both for Illinois residents with a FOID card and non residents. The Illinois State Police posted a new document explaining how to legally transport your firearm in Illinois in November of 2012.

Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Last edited:

kurt555gs

It is not clear. And, several court cases have found portions of the law void. The November 2012 publication takes those court cases into account.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Archerman99

I'm flying into Midway next weekend (the 11th) to pick up a vehicle and drive it home to Oklahoma. This is helpful info.

It sucks that Chicago and Illinois in general have such restrictive laws and outright bans.

We have open carry in Oklahoma and I open carry everyday. Having to keep it "inaccessible" locked in a case until I cross state lines really really sucks! But it's a 12 hour drive home, so I'll put up with Obamaland's rules so I can have it with me for the rest of the ride home.

-Carry Often, Carry Open

junglebob

I'm flying into Midway next weekend (the 11th) to pick up a vehicle and drive it home to Oklahoma. This is helpful info.

It sucks that Chicago and Illinois in general have such restrictive laws and outright bans.

We have open carry in Oklahoma and I open carry everyday. Having to keep it "inaccessible" locked in a case until I cross state lines really really sucks! But it's a 12 hour drive home, so I'll put up with Obamaland's rules so I can have it with me for the rest of the ride home.

-Carry Often, Carry Open

You don't have to have it "inaccessible" according to state law, only unloaded and encased. A loaded magazine can be with the gun in the case, but not in the gun. The car console has been ruled a case by the Illinois Supreme Court. Having said that "inaccessible" would probably be good in the Chicago area as they have more restrictive transport ordinances.

I live in Illinois and I'm hopeful we will have concealed carry legislation pass this year and open carry some time in the future. If the legislature doesn't pass legislation by June 9, open carry should be good unless there is a local ordinance against it.

I live in Southern Illinois south of I64 over 300 miles from Chicago and it is more gun friendly here. If want to read the Illinois transport requirements you can go to the Illinois State Police website isp.gov It is wrong when it says you need a FOID card to transport encased and unloaded if you are a non-resident. Having the Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card only applys to residents the courts have rules since non-residents can't get one. You might also want to google "6 seconds to safety".

Sorry you're inconvenienced by having to come to Illinois, and especially Chicago.