Thread: S&W Air Weight and my wife.......

S&W Air Weight and my wife.......

Have now been united in constitutional matrimony! I ordered a Lady Smith for her a week before Christmas, long and short of it is that the odds of getting the Lady Smith were low, so my LGS put an Air Weight that recieved aside to see if that would suffice. She picked it up today! Bought some defense ammo on her way back to Blaine, and loves it! She has a CPL since this summer, but now has her own piece. Anyway's I'm stuck at work, and can't wait to get home and touch the newest member to out family.

She's not currently interested in OC, but she used to not be interested in owning a gun either. So, one step at a time. Plus it's a handy gun for my oldest son to shoot as well.

So, I'm interested in hearing about holsters, defense ammo and target ammo. It's the 642 .38 SP. What do you all like, and where to buy ammo in our current market of no ammo available. Also is it un-realistic to want .38 sp at or below the price of 9mm?!

I'd also like to say Spartan Arms in Bellingham, is a great store, and I'll do more business there.

Cheers,
    OCinBlaine

Quote Originally Posted by OCinBlaine View Post
    Have now been united in constitutional matrimony! I ordered a Lady Smith for her a week before Christmas, long and short of it is that the odds of getting the Lady Smith were low, so my LGS put an Air Weight that recieved aside to see if that would suffice. She picked it up today! Bought some defense ammo on her way back to Blaine, and loves it! She has a CPL since this summer, but now has her own piece. Anyway's I'm stuck at work, and can't wait to get home and touch the newest member to out family.

She's not currently interested in OC, but she used to not be interested in owning a gun either. So, one step at a time. Plus it's a handy gun for my oldest son to shoot as well.

So, I'm interested in hearing about holsters, defense ammo and target ammo. It's the 642 .38 SP. What do you all like, and where to buy ammo in our current market of no ammo available. Also is it un-realistic to want .38 sp at or below the price of 9mm?!

I'd also like to say Spartan Arms in Bellingham, is a great store, and I'll do more business there.

Cheers,
    OCinBlaine
    We have a snub 38, but it is stainless. Check to see if her new toy is +P rated. Then practice with target ammo and carry +P. If not, 158 SWC should do fine. Last time I checked midwayusa, and sportsmansguide sites had 38 spl ammo.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Yeah, it's +p, What's considered target ammo? wadcutters? What's a good price for practice ammo?

Cheers,
    OCinBlaine

Great choice! My wife practices with ten-x cowboy loads. Really likes .38 Colt Short also, but, hard to find and hard to clean the cylinders when done shooting.

+P loads will be brutal!

My wife and I recently got a Rossi M88 snubnose in .38, it is an S&W J-Frame clone in Stainless. She love it too, so I know how you feel. Little revolvers are great defensive arms.
    - For holsters and stuff, check on ebay. often some good prices and comes right to you door. Also for ammo: +p is good if both the girl and the gun can handle it. Personally, I run a regular pressure hollow point, and I am perfectly confident in it's ability to quell a threat. They do make a regular pressure defense load for short barreled guns. After I get my reloading setup complete, I will brew my own regular pressure defense loads designed for my snubby.

Good find, congrats, and have fun.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Yeah, it's +p, What's considered target ammo? wadcutters? What's a good price for practice ammo?

Cheers,
    OCinBlaine
    Anything not +P, 38 spl ammo is usually not hot. Most ammo you can check the velocity on the website selling the ammo. My 158 gn loads are around 850, though I load them down to 750 which is about as low as one can go with 158 gn. Those are velocities for 4 and 5 inch though, snubs will be much lower.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I have a Serpa holster for my 642-2.
    I use 125 grain plated hollow point reloads for practice and +P 125 grain hollow points for carry.

Cheers,
    OCinBlaine
    I get my 38sp +p from Buffalo Bore in MT. They have a good selection, with tested velocity charts for short barrels. NOT practice ammo, though you should probably shoot a box of it so you know how it does in your particular weapon. I use mine in a 6" all steel Colt so you cannot compare my experience to your's. I use 158 gr.

Link here: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=108

PS: Buffalo Bore also has standard pressure 38sp 158 gr.
    Last edited by hermannr; 02-09-2013 at 11:07 PM.

I have a Ruger LCR which is similar size. I haven't shot it much yet but am carrying Hornady critical defense .38. Luckily I've found .38 is still usually available. The only holster I have for it now is a Desantis pocket holster.

Scott
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

My Sweet Baboo tried all kinds of pistols before settling on a .38 Bodyguard revolver. It just fit her hand. Since that time she found a Police Positive detective model in 38S&W. She really likes that one.

This is Truth. I have been in this shop. They are starting slow, but OC is welcome.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Thanks all for the input! Yeah, I just couldn't put it down when I got home last night! My kids got very curious why I kept touching it and trying it in different pockets, until one of them finally said, "isn't that mom's gun?"

Anyways, She's starting to carry it and is in the market for a holster, on her own accord she actually bought 2 boxes of the +P PDX1 Defender, just so she could shoot it enough to know what it would do, and to be accustomed to it. I sure do like that woman of mine!

Cheers,
    OCinBlaine

Anyways, She's starting to carry it ................. I sure do like that woman of mine!
    Cheers,
    You have to love a Woman who shoots.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    You have to love a Woman who shoots.
    As long as she never shoots at you...
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Re: S&W Air Weight and my wife.......

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    As long as she never shoots at you...
    This is why you always teach someone all that they know, not all that you know...

I actually helped my exwife get her first gun. She was nervous about some new neighbors and we have a three year old daughter together.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2