• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S&W Air Weight and my wife.......

OCinBlaine

Have now been united in constitutional matrimony! I ordered a Lady Smith for her a week before Christmas, long and short of it is that the odds of getting the Lady Smith were low, so my LGS put an Air Weight that recieved aside to see if that would suffice. She picked it up today! Bought some defense ammo on her way back to Blaine, and loves it! She has a CPL since this summer, but now has her own piece. Anyway's I'm stuck at work, and can't wait to get home and touch the newest member to out family.

She's not currently interested in OC, but she used to not be interested in owning a gun either. So, one step at a time. Plus it's a handy gun for my oldest son to shoot as well.

So, I'm interested in hearing about holsters, defense ammo and target ammo. It's the 642 .38 SP. What do you all like, and where to buy ammo in our current market of no ammo available. Also is it un-realistic to want .38 sp at or below the price of 9mm?!

I'd also like to say Spartan Arms in Bellingham, is a great store, and I'll do more business there.

Cheers,
OCinBlaine

WalkingWolf

Have now been united in constitutional matrimony! I ordered a Lady Smith for her a week before Christmas, long and short of it is that the odds of getting the Lady Smith were low, so my LGS put an Air Weight that recieved aside to see if that would suffice. She picked it up today! Bought some defense ammo on her way back to Blaine, and loves it! She has a CPL since this summer, but now has her own piece. Anyway's I'm stuck at work, and can't wait to get home and touch the newest member to out family.

She's not currently interested in OC, but she used to not be interested in owning a gun either. So, one step at a time. Plus it's a handy gun for my oldest son to shoot as well.

So, I'm interested in hearing about holsters, defense ammo and target ammo. It's the 642 .38 SP. What do you all like, and where to buy ammo in our current market of no ammo available. Also is it un-realistic to want .38 sp at or below the price of 9mm?!

I'd also like to say Spartan Arms in Bellingham, is a great store, and I'll do more business there.

Cheers,
OCinBlaine

We have a snub 38, but it is stainless. Check to see if her new toy is +P rated. Then practice with target ammo and carry +P. If not, 158 SWC should do fine. Last time I checked midwayusa, and sportsmansguide sites had 38 spl ammo.

OCinBlaine

Yeah, it's +p, What's considered target ammo? wadcutters? What's a good price for practice ammo?

Cheers,
OCinBlaine

carracer

Great choice! My wife practices with ten-x cowboy loads. Really likes .38 Colt Short also, but, hard to find and hard to clean the cylinders when done shooting.

+P loads will be brutal!

Batousaii

My wife and I recently got a Rossi M88 snubnose in .38, it is an S&W J-Frame clone in Stainless. She love it too, so I know how you feel. Little revolvers are great defensive arms.
- For holsters and stuff, check on ebay. often some good prices and comes right to you door. Also for ammo: +p is good if both the girl and the gun can handle it. Personally, I run a regular pressure hollow point, and I am perfectly confident in it's ability to quell a threat. They do make a regular pressure defense load for short barreled guns. After I get my reloading setup complete, I will brew my own regular pressure defense loads designed for my snubby.

Good find, congrats, and have fun.

WalkingWolf

Yeah, it's +p, What's considered target ammo? wadcutters? What's a good price for practice ammo?

Cheers,
OCinBlaine

Anything not +P, 38 spl ammo is usually not hot. Most ammo you can check the velocity on the website selling the ammo. My 158 gn loads are around 850, though I load them down to 750 which is about as low as one can go with 158 gn. Those are velocities for 4 and 5 inch though, snubs will be much lower.

jeeper1

I have a Serpa holster for my 642-2.
I use 125 grain plated hollow point reloads for practice and +P 125 grain hollow points for carry.

hermannr

Cheers,
OCinBlaine

I get my 38sp +p from Buffalo Bore in MT. They have a good selection, with tested velocity charts for short barrels. NOT practice ammo, though you should probably shoot a box of it so you know how it does in your particular weapon. I use mine in a 6" all steel Colt so you cannot compare my experience to your's. I use 158 gr.

Link here: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108

PS: Buffalo Bore also has standard pressure 38sp 158 gr.

Last edited:

skeith5

I have a Ruger LCR which is similar size. I haven't shot it much yet but am carrying Hornady critical defense .38. Luckily I've found .38 is still usually available. The only holster I have for it now is a Desantis pocket holster.

Scott

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My Sweet Baboo tried all kinds of pistols before settling on a .38 Bodyguard revolver. It just fit her hand. Since that time she found a Police Positive detective model in 38S&W. She really likes that one.

This is Truth. I have been in this shop. They are starting slow, but OC is welcome.

OCinBlaine

Thanks all for the input! Yeah, I just couldn't put it down when I got home last night! My kids got very curious why I kept touching it and trying it in different pockets, until one of them finally said, "isn't that mom's gun?"

Anyways, She's starting to carry it and is in the market for a holster, on her own accord she actually bought 2 boxes of the +P PDX1 Defender, just so she could shoot it enough to know what it would do, and to be accustomed to it. I sure do like that woman of mine!

Cheers,
OCinBlaine

DamonK

As long as she never shoots at you...:lol:

This is why you always teach someone all that they know, not all that you know...

I actually helped my exwife get her first gun. She was nervous about some new neighbors and we have a three year old daughter together.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2