• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, I pissed off a cop

JesterP99

I'm working on an ambulance with a sheriff of some county and we got to talking about me getting pulled over and my firearm being taken and ran by the officer and he told me he would have arrested me for a) underage possession of a handgun (I am 19) and b) having a concealed firearm without a permit.

Well, I guess I pissed him off because I found the code of law and read it to him regarding possession of a firearm and then I read the law about not needing a chp to carry in a container in my vehicle. He was not happy, thought I was raising my voice and threatened to throw me off "his" ambulance for raising my voice.

I'm sorry, but it's these officers that "know the law" but really don't that cause problems. I didn't think there were any more of these guys out there but I'm sure glad he didn't pull me over.

Anyway, be safe, know your laws and codes, be calm and collective and don't raise your voice, even if your ambulance is really loud.

JesterP99

By the way, I actually had a good experience with the state trooper that pulled me over, very polite and actually knew the laws, even if he illegally ran my gun, it was probably my fault for not stepping up and saying no.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Come on out to our dinner on next Tuesday - would enjoy meeting you. Always good conversation and ideas to be had. Example: always have a digital recorder running,
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...hmond-Area-February-OC-Dinner-2-12-13-at-7-pm

You are a member of VCDL right? If not you should be :)

If not at least sign up for the free Va-Alerts and stay up to date on the laws and what is happening throughout Virginia.
We do not rent, sell, or give away ANY email addresses on VA-ALERT - sign up on the same page/link as above.

JesterP99

I will definitely try to make it, always nice to meet up with like minded people.

Do you think the vcdl would educated said sheriff's office deputes about gun laws in Virginia?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will definitely try to make it, always nice to meet up with like minded people.

Do you think the vcdl would educated said sheriff's office deputes about gun laws in Virginia?

We have worked with a number of LEA to help in getting their training bulletins up to date and to foster a better relationship between the public and their departments.

JesterP99

We have worked with a number of LEA to help in getting their training bulletins up to date and to foster a better relationship between the public and their departments.

Well, I guess we can add spotsy to the list of Lea that need continuing education.

USNA69

I'm working on an ambulance with a sheriff of some county and we got to talking about me getting pulled over and my firearm being taken and ran by the officer and he told me he would have arrested me for a) underage possession of a handgun (I am 19) and b) having a concealed firearm without a permit.

Well, I guess I pissed him off because I found the code of law and read it to him regarding possession of a firearm and then I read the law about not needing a chp to carry in a container in my vehicle. He was not happy, thought I was raising my voice and threatened to throw me off "his" ambulance for raising my voice.

I'm sorry, but it's these officers that "know the law" but really don't that cause problems. I didn't think there were any more of these guys out there but I'm sure glad he didn't pull me over.

Anyway, be safe, know your laws and codes, be calm and collective and don't raise your voice, even if your ambulance is really loud.

Actually, he should have thanked you for saving him from a really nasty lawsuit somewhere down the road.

JesterP99

I'm not going to change his beliefs on the laws but hopefully he will do the right thing and ask a superior officer when be goes back to work Monday.

On a side note, I really hope my decision to open carry doesn't affect my chances of getting hired with a LE agency shortly down the road. I think my open ended views will actually help e be a better officer but we'll see.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Sounds to me like that cop has a personal problem. My suggestion, don't go trying to solve other people's personal problems. "Cast not your pearls before swine, lest they trample your pearls underfoot and turn to gore you." It is not necessary to respond to those cops who are full of "stuff" and who are just trying to provoke you so they'll get a chance to beat on someone. If you're right, you're right, and there's no point in trying to persuade them. In this case, "I beg your pardon, Officer, but I think I am acting within my rights." would suffice. If he's going to arrest you, he's going to arrest you, and talking to him (and reacting to his "stuff") will only give him the probable cause he otherwise lacks.

By the way, I suspect they have some means for associating the make, model, and serial number of the gun in a database somewhere with its owner, creating a gun-registry of a sort. I'd bet they figure that if a gun shows up in a crime someday that'll give them a "suspect". I don't believe that stuff about "checking to see whether the gun's been reported as stolen" for a minute.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Sounds to me like that cop has a personal problem. My suggestion, don't go trying to solve other people's personal problems. "Cast not your pearls before swine, lest they trample your pearls underfoot and turn to gore you." It is not necessary to respond to those cops who are full of "stuff" and who are just trying to provoke you so they'll get a chance to beat on someone. If you're right, you're right, and there's no point in trying to persuade them. In this case, "I beg your pardon, Officer, but I think I am acting within my rights." would suffice. If he's going to arrest you, he's going to arrest you, and talking to him (and reacting to his "stuff") will only give him the probable cause he otherwise lacks.

Sage advice.

Last edited:

2a4all

I'm not going to change his beliefs on the laws but hopefully he will do the right thing and ask a superior officer when be goes back to work Monday.

On a side note, I really hope my decision to open carry doesn't affect my chances of getting hired with a LE agency shortly down the road. I think my open ended views will actually help e be a better officer but we'll see.
If he does speak with a superior officer and manages to relate the tale as you have here, I'd be surprised if that superior doesn't remind him that someday he might be in need of your skills, perhaps as a result of ******* off someone with whom he's had a less than amicable encounter.

JesterP99

Sounds to me like that cop has a personal problem. My suggestion, don't go trying to solve other people's personal problems. "Cast not your pearls before swine, lest they trample your pearls underfoot and turn to gore you." It is not necessary to respond to those cops who are full of "stuff" and who are just trying to provoke you so they'll get a chance to beat on someone. If you're right, you're right, and there's no point in trying to persuade them. In this case, "I beg your pardon, Officer, but I think I am acting within my rights." would suffice. If he's going to arrest you, he's going to arrest you, and talking to him (and reacting to his "stuff") will only give him the probable cause he otherwise lacks.

By the way, I suspect they have some means for associating the make, model, and serial number of the gun in a database somewhere with its owner, creating a gun-registry of a sort. I'd bet they figure that if a gun shows up in a crime someday that'll give them a "suspect". I don't believe that stuff about "checking to see whether the gun's been reported as stolen" for a minute.

This is the answer. I really wish I could have exercised a little more control. But at the time, in my mind, it was either tell him the law or be a felon in his eyes.

I just decided to keep 18.2-308 subsection 10 close on hand. I think it just upsetted him that could quote law and he couldn't.

Old Virginia Joe

So, let me get this straight. I go to BUY a (used) gun from a dealer, and they use the excuse of checking MY background, in a records check I PAY FOR, to see if the gun the dealer previously bought or received in trade from someone else, is STOLEN or not? What kind of trick is that?

If the law wants to know if the gun is stolen or not, WHY don't they require the dealer to check the serial number on the gun when he agrees to buy it, while the potential thief or fencer is still standing right there? This current process makes no sense to me. (I'm quoting here from User's previous post which outlines this expressed "logic" by the LEAs.)

MKEgal

JesterP99 said:
I actually had a good experience with the state trooper that pulled me over, very polite and actually knew the laws, even if he illegally ran my gun, it was probably my fault for not stepping up and saying no.
The responsibility for commiting the crime lies with the criminal, not the victim.
And no matter how polite the criminal is, he's still a criminal.
If he'd actually known the laws, he wouldn't have illegally run the serial #.

JesterP99 said:
hopefully he will do the right thing and ask a superior officer when be goes back to work Monday.
The couple times I've amicably discussed gun laws with cops, over a cup of coffee in my favorite little coffee shop, I've explained the law then told them not to just believe what I say, go back to the station & look things up for themselves.

JesterP99 said:
in my mind, it was either tell him the law or be a felon in his eyes.
While it would be nice to have him come around to the right way of thinking (both for your happiness & so he doesn't get involved in a lawsuit that will cost the taxpayers) why do you care what he thinks of you?
Are you going to be working closely with him, or does he have some influence over your current or future job?
If he wrongfully arrests you, it would probably be a mess to work through [DAMHIK], but you'd be on the winning end, & there are some 2A friendly civil rights lawyers out there. :)

zoom6zoom

So, let me get this straight. I go to BUY a (used) gun from a dealer, and they use the excuse of checking MY background, in a records check I PAY FOR, to see if the gun the dealer previously bought or received in trade from someone else, is STOLEN or not? What kind of trick is that?
Background check at a dealer isn't running the gun, it's checking out the BUYER. The Virginia form doesn't even include serial number or make.